The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

On the "if" you trade Carr side of things. Trading him to a playoff caliber team lessens the value of your picks. 

You think pick 32 this year is going to help the Lions?

If "you're not winning a Super Bowl with Carr" like plenty in here have said, it's not as relevant. Regardless, this point is nullified by the fact that we're absolutely picking top 10 with anyone other than Carr as our QB that are realistic options. 

52 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I don’t know if i want to see RZ penalties, I’m sure it would make me sick, no joke. I’ll bet it’s baaad!

I'm sure it's terrible but it still puts things into perspective for those who want Carr to shoulder all the blame for our RZ woes. But yeah, it's probably very bad lol

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

I was not a fan of our play calling. continuously ran the ball on 1st down. Threw a lot of WR/ TE screens. 
I dont believe run blocking was great, and when teams figured out we liked to run on first down we didnt have a lot of success. 

I think we did a terrible job of using Mariota, it was getting better towards end of season, but still think we couldve done better. 

Penalties were disgusting. Things get very tough in the redzone when you need to get 10+ yards. 

You see the players with the highest TDs numbers, will throw for it all 3 downs in the redzone. 
I wish we would do this more. 

Carr often would get 1 pass, and while I agree he is not elite in the redzone, I think in todays NFL you are better set to score passing then running. Then when you factor in our weak run blocking, and jacobs being hurt, I thought we needed to go pass heavy 

You will not get much of an argument from me on these points.  I do not put most of the blame on Carr.  One I do put on Carr however is his risk aversion and inability/unwillingness to extend plays.  His live to play another day attitude leads to us settling for 3 far to often.  This is not my only criticism but I think is the biggest problem in the redzone for Carr.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It would be unwise to trade Carr to an AFC team with a playoff caliber roster. If a trade were to happen, send him to the NFC. 

Rumor is Washington will give up pretty much any player and selection of picks to get a QB. I'd start there. 

I think those who have been willing to trade Carr have seen the WFT as a possible destination for a couple years.

The way I see it, he was playing good ball with Ruggs, Waller, and Renfrow all in the offense. Add a WR, retool the OL and sign him to a 2 year extension. If he balls, then good. If he doesn't, the NFL is desperate for qb's and you can easily get a 1st for him next year bare minimum. But just trading him for peanuts without a backup plan is idiotic.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Penalties were disgusting. Things get very tough in the redzone when you need to get 10+ yards. 

1 hour ago, Devilshark69 said:

I don’t know if i want to see RZ penalties, I’m sure it would make me sick, no joke. I’ll bet it’s baaad!

You guys are lucky I am bored today.  We had 11 redzone penalties.  Leatherwood - 3, Parker - 3, Miller - 1, Moreau - 2, Carr -1, and Helm - 1.  Those led to:

TD - 2

TO - 3

Loss of TD and kicked FG- 2

Loss of TD and TO - 1

FG - 3

The opponents defense also gave us quite a few penalties.  It was almost even but did not think to count them until I was half way through.  So out of 124 penalties 9% were in the redzone.  I have no clue if that is good or bad and I am not going through 32 teams for this. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The way I see it, he was playing good ball with Ruggs, Waller, and Renfrow all in the offense. Add a WR, retool the OL and sign him to a 2 year extension. If he balls, then good. If he doesn't, the NFL is desperate for qb's and you can easily get a 1st for him next year bare minimum. But just trading him for peanuts without a backup plan is idiotic.

He was playing better in the beginning but his play always falls off in the 2nd half.  If we are extending him I want to see at least 1 TD per million on that contract.  As long as his play justifies his contract I will be fine but if he gets $40 per on the extension and only throws 25-30 TDs it was a bad decision.  If you want a game manager then they should be paid like a game manager.

11 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He was playing better in the beginning but his play always falls off in the 2nd half.  If we are extending him I want to see at least 1 TD per million on that contract.  As long as his play justifies his contract I will be fine but if he gets $40 per on the extension and only throws 25-30 TDs it was a bad decision.  If you want a game manager then they should be paid like a game manager.

Maybe because Waller and Ruggs weren't on the field? I would like to see any offense function well without its best 2 players.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

You guys are lucky I am bored today.  We had 11 redzone penalties.  Leatherwood - 3, Parker - 3, Miller - 1, Moreau - 2, Carr -1, and Helm - 1.  Those led to:

TD - 2

TO - 3

Loss of TD and TO - 1

FG - 3

The opponents defense also gave us quite a few penalties.  It was almost even but did not think to count them until I was half way through.  So out of 124 penalties 9% were in the redzone.  I have no clue if that is good or bad and I am not going through 32 teams for this. 

Yuck. I know in the bengal game, Waller had a bad false start on 2nd and 1, and Simpson got a hold on a play jacobs ran to the 1 too. 
Both those turned into FGs, and couldve been a different game if one or both were TDs. 

Howd you find that? Did you go through every play by play? Well done. 
I honestly wouldve thought it wouldve been higher, but thats still 65% chance we get a redzone penalty each game. 
With so many games being one possession in the NFL, you cannot afford that much. 

2 Tds out of 11 chances with redzone penalty seems about right. 
Our entire Offensive, not just redzone seems done if we get a penalty. We play way to much small ball, and if we fall behind on down and distance, we struggle. 

58 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe because Waller and Ruggs weren't on the field? I would like to see any offense function well without its best 2 players.

You can look at every year he has been here.  HIs first half has been better every year.  No Waller and Ruggs had a big impact but it is on him also.  Last year was just way more than usual.  That is why I say I do not blame him for his production decreasing last year but I do put it on him for it decreasing as much as it did.  Until he learns to create and will run decisively when the play is not there he will not maximize his talents.  Carr is not the greatest athlete but no reason why his rushing stats should be anywhere near Tom Brady's.

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Yuck. I know in the bengal game, Waller had a bad false start on 2nd and 1, and Simpson got a hold on a play jacobs ran to the 1 too. 
Both those turned into FGs, and couldve been a different game if one or both were TDs. 

Howd you find that? Did you go through every play by play? Well done. 
I honestly wouldve thought it wouldve been higher, but thats still 65% chance we get a redzone penalty each game. 
With so many games being one possession in the NFL, you cannot afford that much. 

2 Tds out of 11 chances with redzone penalty seems about right. 
Our entire Offensive, not just redzone seems done if we get a penalty. We play way to much small ball, and if we fall behind on down and distance, we struggle. 

On ESPN I looked at each drive that was anything other than a punt and looked at the plays in the redzone.  I believe Carr had 3 TOs in the redzone after a penalty also.  Maybe he starts to panic and forces stuff.  1 penalty was a delay of game on Carr also.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

TD - 2

TO - 3

Loss of TD and TO - 1

FG - 3

Thanks for the dirty work lol. I wonder how this is for the league average...... Got any plans tomorrow? Lol. Maybe your attitude will change with a good night's sleep

It's honestly much less than I thought. Probably heightened bc we were hyper-focused on them which is a common thing to do and something people do often

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Thanks for the dirty work lol. I wonder how this is for the league average...... Got any plans tomorrow? Lol. Maybe your attitude will change with a good night's sleep

It's honestly much less than I thought. Probably heightened bc we were hyper-focused on them which is a common thing to do and something people do often

I think I do that to Carr sometimes also.  The bad stick out more than the good.  I have also watched games of his and thought he did amazing and when I go back and watch them again I see it completely different.  You definitely see the game differently once there is no emotion connected to not knowing the outcome of the game.

Edited by drfrey13
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I think I do that to Carr sometimes also.  The bad stick out more than the good.  I have also watched games of his and thought he did amazing and when I go back and watch them again I see it completely different.  You definitely see the game differently once there is no emotion connected to not knowing the outcome of the game.

Your views of Carr have been spot on IMO

• Doesn't extend plays as often as he should
  • Settles for 3 in the RZ too often
  • Obviously the fumbles
  • Seems to play down to the team's level i.e. when we get a false start, he will add a sack or fumble the next play
  • IMO, his deep balls can be lackluster in velocity sort of floats them up there. He has improved this a bit and at least started giving his receivers a chance this last year but you can find him underthrowing Deasan a few times.

You can add this all up and say he's average, below average, whatever. The criticisms carry over year to year and he's a veteran now. Every coach thinks they can fix these and guess we will see if 5th? 6th? time's the charm.