The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

15 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Isn't it kind of strange how despite us changing our offensive line, skill position players, play callers, etc. we've still struggled overall and with a lot of the same things such as red zone offense year after year. But it's definitely not Carr, probably just everyone else. 

Any time we’ve been mildly competent we’ve made the playoffs go figure. 

28 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

With probably his worse Oline, its nice to see Carr not having fumbled 10 times already this year. 
Def a big improvement so far. Hope to see him keep that up.

Our O as a whole, has done very good not turning the ball over (obviously outside of week 1)

Didn’t wanna say anything and jinx it but I agree with the lack of fumbles

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Geezy said:

What kills us on O are the sacks and penalties. If we are on time with the chains we are tough to stop. Its when we get in obvious pass downs and defenses pin their ears back is when the OL crumbles. 

Coaches have to fix the flags 1st and 20+ getting kinda old imo thats a product of bad coaching 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Coaches have to fix the flags 1st and 20+ getting kinda old imo thats a product of bad coaching 

Do you think it also could be a product of mixing and matching the OLine over the year, so they’ve struggled to get comfortable with each other and develop chemistry? I know you’re an OLine guy 😀

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Do you think it also could be a product of mixing and matching the OLine over the year, so they’ve struggled to get comfortable with each other and develop chemistry? I know you’re an OLine guy 😀

False starts? Imo that’s coaching 

holding? Lack of coaching or talent. I lean on coaching cause we haven’t even let cotton get a chance since week 1 iirc. 

imo lack of chemistry is why we give up sacks or free guys at the qb. Stunts expose chemistry the most and we’ve been getting killed by them all year.

• Like 4

Kinda/sorta think Carr deserves somewhat of a pass this season. Everyone can talk about how we surrounded him with weapons and how he has taken a step back this year in spite of that — but realistically, only half of those weapons have been on the field. Adams and Jacobs have been balling out, but Waller and Renfro got paid and promptly disappeared (I don’t think Waller wants to be here anymore and I have a suspicion Renfro has struggled more than we realize with the scheme and with injuries since the start of the season). So basically we gave Carr a #1 WR, a #1 RB, and backups/scrubs everywhere else on offense as well as a brand-new scheme to learn (to go along with an absolutely horrific O-Line). I’m definitely more in line with @Frankie2Gunz’s thinking on Carr — not saying he can’t or shouldn’t shoulder some responsibility for not playing better, but this franchise has rarely given him a good supporting cast on offense (not to mention nothing better than a 20th-ranked defense as well).

Edited by IdigtheRaiders!
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Kinda/sorta think Carr deserves somewhat of a pass this season. Everyone can talk about how we surrounded him with weapons and how he has taken a step back this year in spite of that — but realistically, only half of those weapons have been on the field. Adams and Jacobs have been balling out, but Waller and Renfro got paid and promptly disappeared (I don’t think Waller wants to be here anymore and I have a suspicion Renfro has struggled more than we realize with the scheme and with injuries since the start of the season). So basically we gave Carr a #1 WR, a #1 RB, and backups/scrubs everywhere else on offense as well as a brand-new scheme to learn (to go along with an absolutely horrific O-Line). I’m definitely more in line with @Frankie2Gunz’s thinking on Carr — not saying he can’t or shouldn’t shoulder some responsibility for not playing better, but this franchise has rarely given him a good supporting cast on offense (not to mention nothing better than a 20th-ranked defense as well).

Even as someone that isn't the biggest fan of Carr, I don't think it's fair to put all of the blame onto him. Despite losing 3 starting OL, Waller, and Renfrow he's still on pace for 4,100 yards/26 TD/9 INT in his first year in a new system. Think you have to give him one more year. 

• Like 2

Just now, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Kinda/sorta think Carr deserves somewhat of a pass this season. 

Lol how long are we going to keep saying this. Its been ten damn years of giving Carr a pass and firing/getting rid of everyone else. 

We have beaten the freaking Texans and The Broncos this year, probably the two worst teams in the league. People need to get a grip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Lol how long are we going to keep saying this. Its been ten damn years of giving Carr a pass and firing/getting rid of everyone else. 

We have beaten the freaking Texans and The Broncos this year, probably the two worst teams in the league. People need to get a grip.

Haha - people want to give Carr a pass every year. After 9 years I’ve seen all I need to see.

At some point it’s best for all parties to move on. I’ve seen enough hallmark Carr performances in meaningless games followed by laying eggs in big games to know that he’s not the QB to get us over the hump. In fact, he’s the QB that keeps us firmly in mediocrity’s grip. He shows flashes of brilliance when the lights are off and keeps us from bottoming out and getting franchise changing draft talent. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

"lame duck qb" 

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I have no problem with moving on from Carr. But some of the "plans" posters have for moving on are borderline laughable. Literally it's like they would take ANYTHING than see him play qb. 

Carr has proven to be what we already knew that he was, an above average starter that can succeed in the right conditions but isn't someone that can elevate the team if he has too. Despite his "struggles" he's still on pace for another 4,000 yard/26 TD season. 

I'm also the last person that's ever going to make excuses for him. But we have the lowest paid and probably least talented OL in the league and outside of Adams/Jacobs we have zero talent offensively. Considering JMD/DZ's jobs are likely going to be on the line next year I don't really see us moving on from him this offseason. I think they'll give him a second year in the system with ideally a healthy group of weapons and an improved offensive line. 

• Like 1