The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

59 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Being a QB is like walking a thin line.  People hate check-downs but I've seen people want Josh Jacobs more involved in the pass game.  I've seen people get mad that he doesn't hold onto the ball and take the deep shot, but then he holds on for too long trying to let a play develop and he gets stripped by the pass rusher that just beat our backup RT or Kolton Miller who looks great when we play the short pass game.  It's tough.  I honestly think a lot of complaints are based upon the fact that we have lost 2 in a row.  If we won both these games we wouldn't be complaining about all the reasons we lost these 2 games.

jacobs on designed pass plays and check downs are two different things though. especially with bad run blocking like last game. gruden not being creative to get ball in his hands.

6 hours ago, Jerry said:

Being a QB is like walking a thin line.  People hate check-downs but I've seen people want Josh Jacobs more involved in the pass game.  I've seen people get mad that he doesn't hold onto the ball and take the deep shot, but then he holds on for too long trying to let a play develop and he gets stripped by the pass rusher that just beat our backup RT or Kolton Miller who looks great when we play the short pass game.  It's tough.  I honestly think a lot of complaints are based upon the fact that we have lost 2 in a row.  If we won both these games we wouldn't be complaining about all the reasons we lost these 2 games.

Winning cures all. People complain about the check downs but the first two weeks Carr was 7/14 on throws 10+ yards down field and 3/5 on throws 20+ yards down field. And the last two weeks he was 16/26 on throws 10+ yards down field and 3/5 on throws 20+ yards down field. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

QBA - 6.9 average depth of target, 5.2 average depth of target on completions,  7.6 Y/A

QBB - 6.6 average depth of target, 5.1 average depth of target on completions, 7.6 Y/A

Anyone wanna take a wild guess who these two players are? 

Assuming one is Mahomes and one is Carr without even looking. Look at the play and stop being so obsessed with stats. Carr plays nothing like Mahomes and never has in his entire football/college career. Plus we are four games into the season. 

5 hours ago, roi34 said:

jacobs on designed pass plays and check downs are two different things though. especially with bad run blocking like last game. gruden not being creative to get ball in his hands.

Exactly. Screen passes. Or even swing passes can be right reads at times. Jamal williams was getting 8 or 10 yards on passes out back field last night. Gruden isnt really being creative at all. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Assuming one is Mahomes and one is Carr without even looking. Look at the play and stop being so obsessed with stats. Carr plays nothing like Mahomes and never has in his entire football/college career. Plus we are four games into the season. 

Mahomes is playing like Carr this year so far. 

Throws 10+ yards down field: Carr - 23/40 | Mahomes - 23/46

Throws 20+ yards down field: Carr - 6/10 | Mahomes - 3/13

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Mahomes is playing like Carr this year so far. 

Throws 10+ yards down field: Carr - 23/40 | Mahomes - 23/46

Throws 20+ yards down field: Carr - 6/10 | Mahomes - 3/13

mahomes just won the super bowl and has a winning record.. 

8 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

6 fumbles for Carr in 4 weeks. OMG that's awful

Anyone who watched the NO game knows that fumble is on Richard. I dont care what the stats say. 

That said, Carr definitely has a fumbling problem, and I dont think that is something that can really be fixed. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, roi34 said:

are designed short pass plays also different than check downs?
Because some times when we see a WR running deep fans get upset Carr didnt throw it to him, but, he may not be the number 1 read on the play...

8 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Anyone who watched the NO game knows that fumble is on Richard. I dont care what the stats say. 

That said, Carr definitely has a fumbling problem, and I dont think that is something that can really be fixed. 

It is unfortunate because he's taking care of the ball in the air but the fumbling issue is a turnover too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

mahomes just won the super bowl and has a winning record.. 

And neither of those things have anything to do with this season. Obviously he's a much better player then Carr. But there numbers this year are very comparable in terms of their average depth of target, average yards per attempt, number of throws between 10-20 yards, and number of throws 20+ yards down field. 

They have one common opponent this season, the New England Patriots. 

Carr vs New England: 24/32 (75%), 261 yards, 2 TD, 8.1 Y/A, 119.4 passer rating | 6/8 on passes between 10-20 yards, 1/3 on passes 20+ yards

Mahomes vs New England: 19/29 (65%), 236 yards, 2 TD, 8.1 Y/A, 113.6 passer rating | 4/8 on passes between 10-20 yards, 0/3 on passes 20+ yards

Break down of their completions

At or behind LOS: Mahomes - 6 | Carr - 5

Between 1-5 yards: Mahomes - 7 | Carr - 8

Between 5-10 yards: Mahomes - 2 | Carr - 4 

Between 10-20 yards: Mahomes - 4 | Carr - 6

20+ yards: Mahomes - 0 | Carr - 1 '

The only difference is that Mahomes had Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, and Sammy Watkins to throw too, at home, with a long week playing on MNF.

While Carr was throwing to Zay Jones, Hunter Renfrow, and Nelson Agholor, after traveling cross country to play an early game on the road. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Jerry said:

Defense has a even thinner line if you ask me. One missed tackle can equal a td. Every offensive scoring t/o counts against your ppg. You’re at the mercy of offense and special teams to determine how much of a field you have to defend and .....how often. 

Injuries don’t count on defense it’s a given. I’m really just mad we suck a tackling idk if it’s pg or lack of preseason 

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

And neither of those things have anything to do with this season. Obviously he's a much better player then Carr. But there numbers this year are very comparable in terms of their average depth of target, average yards per attempt, number of throws between 10-20 yards, and number of throws 20+ yards down field. 

They have one common opponent this season, the New England Patriots. 

Carr vs New England: 24/32 (75%), 261 yards, 2 TD, 8.1 Y/A, 119.4 passer rating | 6/8 on passes between 10-20 yards, 1/3 on passes 20+ yards

Mahomes vs New England: 19/29 (65%), 236 yards, 2 TD, 8.1 Y/A, 113.6 passer rating | 4/8 on passes between 10-20 yards, 0/3 on passes 20+ yards

Break down of their completions

At or behind LOS: Mahomes - 6 | Carr - 5

Between 1-5 yards: Mahomes - 7 | Carr - 8

Between 5-10 yards: Mahomes - 2 | Carr - 4 

Between 10-20 yards: Mahomes - 4 | Carr - 6

20+ yards: Mahomes - 0 | Carr - 1 '

The only difference is that Mahomes had Tyreek Hill, Mecole Hardman, and Sammy Watkins to throw too, at home, with a long week playing on MNF.

While Carr was throwing to Zay Jones, Hunter Renfrow, and Nelson Agholor, after traveling cross country to play an early game on the road. 

Really interesting and eye opening.