Donovan Peoples-Jones

candyman93

7 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

He would not be the first 18 year old former high school superstar athlete who felt his s##t didn't stink............

Hopefully he matures because he’s definitely got big time talent. I know OBJ and Jarvis aren’t absolute perfect role models but one thing you can’t question is their work ethic. Hopefully DPJ picks up on that

13 minutes ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Hopefully he matures because he’s definitely got big time talent. I know OBJ and Jarvis aren’t absolute perfect role models but one thing you can’t question is their work ethic. Hopefully DPJ picks up on that

This is my hope as well.  OBJ and Jarvis get vilified for having big personalities, but they work at what they do.

Both are very good route runners and understand what it takes to be elite.  DPJ can’t “big time” those two (if that’s even an issue for him).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brooks1957 said:

Urban is a freaking SURGEON when it comes to besting those dolts up north. They still don't have a clue that he has already put the knife in, twisted it, and removed it.........

He is the ultimate Wolverine slayer and there may never be another one like him.

Now back to DPJ..........

I have zero problem with him on the Browns because of where he went to college. If this sounds like I am backtracking my statements of yesterday, so be it. Maybe I am. My problem with him is that he came to Ann Arbor so highly touted - and never delivered on that promise to the level of its hype. Part of that is certainly on Harbaugh , part is on Gattis, part is on Patterson - but it is also on DPJ.

That being said -

It is very difficult to live up to the hype in the NFL after failing to do so at the college level. DPJ certainly passes the NFL eyeball test. He has prototypical NFL WR size and speed. He will benefit greatly from being on the field simultaneously with Juice and Odell. If he accepts the coaching of Chad O'Shea and Alex Van Pelt, chances are good that he will be an asset to the Browns and finally live up to his hype.

The opportunity has been granted - the ball is in your court Donovan.

All true stuff but look at what Michigan has done at developing offensive skills positions. I was surprised when I looked this up. The last time Michigan had an offensive skill player drafted in the 1st rd was Braylon Edwards. They have no idea how to develop skill players and I credit that to The coaches. I truly don’t think he knows how to play and adapt his schemes to today’s college football. I think that’s why you have seen good offensive mind coaches leave like Pep Hamilton and why he has struggled to fine top tier offensive minded coaches. Gattis wasn’t a bad hire but he was the outcast from Bama. Hell we have seen coaches on his staff take lateral moves to just get out of there. 

I would fully blame DPJ for his struggles and his lack of development when others around him are playing like All conference All American players. In reality, Michigan has been doing nothing for the skill players. They can produce some defensive talent and offensive talent but you think with the recruiting classes they have pulled they could product a top flight skill player.  DPJ and coaching are fully to blame

6 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

I think a lot of teams may have been turned off by his personality. I get the impression that he believes that his college career being underwhelming all the fault of his college coaching staff and QB. I could be wrong but he seems to lack some personal accountability.

supposedly he sucked in interviews, even went as far to blame harbaugh for his struggles which clearly isn't a good look.  His struggles were 2 fold, #1 patterson was not accurate or on time very often.  2) DPJ struggled with concentration/drops.  All the talent is there to be successful.  Also i see people questioning how serious he is about football which to me is just an easy "shot" since he was in pre med and wants to be a Dr.  If he were in general studies im sure they wouldn't be bringing up his desire.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buno67 said:

All true stuff but look at what Michigan has done at developing offensive skills positions. I was surprised when I looked this up. The last time Michigan had an offensive skill player drafted in the 1st rd was Braylon Edwards. They have no idea how to develop skill players and I credit that to The coaches. I truly don’t think he knows how to play and adapt his schemes to today’s college football. I think that’s why you have seen good offensive mind coaches leave like Pep Hamilton and why he has struggled to fine top tier offensive minded coaches. Gattis wasn’t a bad hire but he was the outcast from Bama. Hell we have seen coaches on his staff take lateral moves to just get out of there. 

I would fully blame DPJ for his struggles and his lack of development when others around him are playing like All conference All American players. In reality, Michigan has been doing nothing for the skill players. They can produce some defensive talent and offensive talent but you think with the recruiting classes they have pulled they could product a top flight skill player.  DPJ and coaching are fully to blame

as a michigan fan i can tell you no one, and i mean no one is sad pep is gone.  He was terrible.  In fact so terrible that when he was gently pushed out no one in college football was really that interested in him.  The one that got away that hurt was jedd fisch.  Gattis was pretty decent for his 1st time calling plays, we shall see how he develops.

DPJ was abysmal this year against OSU. It was hard to watch. He was letting the ball eat him up. After he made one drop, it kind of spiraled. He was so much in his own head that you knew if they threw it to him he was not going to catch it. Potential is definitely there for him to be a plus receiver in the NFL. That’s why he got drafted. There is a reason with his talent though that he felt to the sixth round. We should temper our expectations. I love the pick though, because of the potential with the late round selection and need for a young guy in the room.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What are we missing that every NFL team seemed to see though?

I mean, certainly they realize Michigan didn’t have a great QB.

Just an interesting situation all around.  Can’t figure out at all why a guy with his talent lasted as long as he did.

The biggest thing I heard that was a knock against him was he is a pretty bad at separating. Thats likely why people think he is a underachiever in college because he never put together all of his physical tools to translate into production.Plus, having average QB play that didnt know how to throw it too him even if he looks like he was covered didnt help.

I think you can compare him to Dez from that standpoint because he was also a guy who you just had to trust was going to catch it even if he doesnt look open.

Edited by AkronsWitness

Shea Patterson is freaking atrocious. I don’t know about his work ethic, but Shea Patterson’s inability to throw was the main reason. Plus this was a great WR class. I think he’s pretty easily our WR #3 unless we bring Higgins back. 

I liked all of our picks with the exception of Jacob Phillips. I don’t see the upside there. I also like the player Jordan Elliot, I just didn’t think drafting a 4th string DT that high was necessary. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

The interview feels brutal without any actual particular moment to point to. Maybe it's just because he fell so far, but there is so much body language going on with this kid.

I go somewhere deeper like his surgeon doctor dad never tells him he's proud of him or something like that. It seems like he is deeply embarrassed for the position he's in.

His eyes look like he's been crying (not with joy), and he continuously tightens his mouth, as if he is attempting to mask/dilute the impression of how he's actually feeling. He looks away a lot.

The energy I pick up is shame and a bit of fear instability. It also seems like he is hearing the need to explain/justify himself about the lack of production, like he is on the stand. I'm glad the reporters didn't go hard at him or it could have been weird.

Edited by NudeTayne

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

The interview feels brutal without any actual particular moment to point to. Maybe it's just because he fell so far, but there is so much body language going on with this kid.

I go somewhere deeper like his surgeon doctor dad never tells him he's proud of him or something like that. It seems like he is deeply embarrassed for the position he's in.

His eyes look like he's been crying (not with joy), and he continuously tightens his mouth, as if he is attempting to mask/dilute the impression of how he's actually feeling. He looks away a lot.

The energy I pick up is shame and a bit of fear instability. It also seems like he is hearing the need to explain/justify himself about the lack of production, like he is on the stand. I'm glad the reporters didn't go hard at him or it could have been weird.

I mean, hard to blame him for being upset with where he finally went. Probably bought into his own hype a bit, and it’s hard to blame these kids when people are fawning all over them from the time their 15.

Hopefully this is the motivation he needs to come in and take advantage of just about the best possible situation for his development.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, hard to blame him for being upset with where he finally went. Probably bought into his own hype a bit, and it’s hard to blame these kids when people are fawning all over them from the time their 15.

Hopefully this is the motivation he needs to come in and take advantage of just about the best possible situation for his development.

Agreed. He says all the right stuff, albeit gritting his teeth as he's saying it, but he shows maturity in this interview as well. 

He really did go to a great situation. It sounds like Jarvis has already taken him under his wing a bit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Agreed. He says all the right stuff, albeit gritting his teeth as he's saying it, but he shows maturity in this interview as well. 

He really did go to a great situation. It sounds like Jarvis has already taken him under his wing a bit.

Two dudes who seem to be willing to mentor younger players, no pressing need to play immediately, will never see a double team/shaded safety/top tier CB, etc as long as these guys are here.

No expectations, just come in and compete, learn and improve.  Essentially the complete opposite of his college experience.

Oh and Baker instead of Michigan QBs

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1