6.205 - MIN: Josh Metellus S/Michigan

RpMc

50 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

He's been nothing short of incredible this season. I'll admit I was a little perplexed at the extension but he's certainly earned it. Safety is one of the strongest positions on the team because of the emergence of #44.

The extension looks shrewd as heck right now.  Point Kwesi and team.

• Like 2

Just now, Cearbhall said:

How much is he going to cost when it comes time to extend him again? The team should be looking to do that sooner than later IMO.

It'll be tough because there aren't many comparable players; his closest contemporaries are honestly in college.  He's playing the way that I'm sure the Cardinals thought Isaiah Simmons could play.

The style of defense I employ/coach it's honestly the most important position on the field, and really makes the defense go.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I don't think Zimmer prioritized safeties in his defense though? Or, at least I think he valued CBs much more than Safeties, and only asked that his FS can play SS and vice versa.

What? Don't you remember 2017 when Harrison Smith played everywhere? Zimmer's defense got Anthony Harris and Xavier Woods paid, too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

What? Don't you remember 2017 when Harrison Smith played everywhere? Zimmer's defense got Anthony Harris and Xavier Woods paid, too. 

Here is the long write-up of his defense:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/6/8/8750195/so-what-exactly-is-a-mike-zimmer-defense

It doesn't seem like S is devalued. More like he just needed CBs capable of being able to play man/press-man coverage.

5 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Here is the long write-up of his defense:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/6/8/8750195/so-what-exactly-is-a-mike-zimmer-defense

It doesn't seem like S is devalued. More like he just needed CBs capable of being able to play man/press-man coverage.

Every piece on those defenses had something important to do. We watched it for 7 years.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RpMc said:

It'll be tough because there aren't many comparable players; his closest contemporaries are honestly in college.  He's playing the way that I'm sure the Cardinals thought Isaiah Simmons could play.

The style of defense I employ/coach it's honestly the most important position on the field, and really makes the defense go.

This is schematically evident, and its also worth noting that Metellus has developed very real, substantial skills that not every player bring at his position. He's a really good tackler and has pretty much perfected the peanut punch.

I think it's safe to say he's proven he can be useful in any defense, but Flores has gotten the most.

• Like 3

On 5/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, Krauser said:

Nice post. I like Metellus quite a bit more after watching him (opposite to my experience watching Harrison Hand). He does line up everywhere from single high, to box safety to slot corner. He seems really smart, often pointing things out presnap to his teammates, and he doesn’t end up out of position. 

Spot on write up

• 1 month later...