2020 Offense Outlook

incognito_man

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Not in this offense.  In this offense Rodgers doesn’t look only for him regardless of who the player was designed for.  

You give your studs the ball in a good offense. See New Orleans and Michael Thomas.

An offense where you force balls to Lazard/MVS/EQ/Funchess for the sake of balance, is not going to be a good offense. 

Rodgers has to find the line between hitting the open man and staring Adams down, but that doesn't mean we purposely scheme plays to go away from Adams for the sake of balance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Excited is not the word I would use lol

Ha, maybe interesting is the better word, at least purely from alignment standpoint. There were a number of times that either we'd start Vitale out wide and every time the D knew we'd motion him into the backfield (or the other way around, where we'd motion him out and they knew he wasn't a threat). Having a guy with real ball skills in that role could definitely open things up. When you watch JD's highlights, it literally is a bunch of shots of him wide open in a zone because teams don't expect someone in his role to run the routes he does (I still think he was over drafted though).

Edited by pacman5252

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Improvement from the small mob of young skill players taking snaps right now. 

It would be mathematically unlikely for at least one of them not to improve. 

Do they really have the guys to make that happen?  The late round/UDFA WRs and a few interesting names vs. Father Time and regression at the RB position... doesn’t seem like a promising story.  Also losing Bulaga probably hurts more than gaining Funchess. 

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You give your studs the ball in a good offense. See New Orleans and Michael Thomas.

An offense where you force balls to Lazard/MVS/EQ/Funchess for the sake of balance, is not going to be a good offense. 

Rodgers has to find the line between hitting the open man and staring Adams down, but that doesn't mean we purposely scheme plays to go away from Adams for the sake of balance. 

I’m not suggesting we target the other receivers for the sake of distribution.  If Rodgers was to hit the ope receiver more often and stop keying in on Adams, those are the numbers you would see.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:56 PM, Shanedorf said:

They are such different sized humans
I'm not sure you can successfully make that swap and put rookie DeGuera up against a vet DE like you can with Lewis
Lewis is lining up on LOS with a hand in the dirt, Deguera is likley on the move

I can't recall the exact phrasing, but In Gute's Friday presser, he made reference to MLF liking guys who can block on the move, in the context of liking Deguara's blocking aptitude.  Again perhaps consistent with being as happy with movement blockers like Deguara and perhaps Jace, as depending on Mercedes-style blocking.  

• 2 weeks later...

Some 2019 offensive numbers from Football Outsiders

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/team-offense/2019

GB offense was #  8 by DVOA for 2019
GB passing offense was # 11

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/overall-drive-statsoff/2019

GB offense was ranked #14 in plays / drive
GB offense was # 13 in Drive Success Rate
GB offense was # 8 in points per drive

GB offense was # 1 in fewest INTs / drive
GB offense was # 17 in fumbles/ drive

Acme/ Bukowski with an excellent article on 2019 offense and 2020 opportunities for improvement

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2020/5/12/21250797/packers-play-action-struggles-2019-aaron-rodgers-matt-lafleur

Over the course of the season, Green Bay fared much better in 12 personnel off play-action than in 11, but that wasn’t true in the second half of the season, when the Packers found more ways to create positive plays in three receiver sets. If there’s one data point that encompasses Day 2 of the Packers draft, this is it. A.J. Dillon and Josiah Deguara’s arrival clearly aim to affect Green Bay’s ability to be effective throwing the ball from heavier personnel.

What must drive Matt LaFleur nuts is their success, or lack thereof, from big personnel. In this stretch, Green Bay ran 45 play-action snaps from 12 personnel with just 20 successful plays, a 44.4% success rate. The proverbial worm began to turn in the playoffs, both overall and particularly from 12 personnel (two tight end sets). In January the Packers deployed play action on 10 snaps with two tight ends and went 8/10 with successful plays, including 7/8 against the Seahawks.

This play embodies what LaFleur wants his offense to be: big personnel, pre-snap motion, play-action, and a layup throw for the QB with run-after-catch opportunity for the offense’s top players

Adams_layup_2_.gif

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 2

from packers.com

Two of the main areas the Packers have been working on this offseason are incorporating more no-huddle into the offense and streamlining tempo. Rodgers doesn't anticipate shedding the wristband given the nature of the offensive verbiage, but he and the coaches have been cleaning things up over the past month.

"This has been a great opportunity to … go through everything last year that was good, what didn't work, what we want to add to it, what we want to take out," Rodgers said. "I think Matt and Nathaniel have done a really good job of going through those and keeping me in the loop about conversations. We've had a number of conversations about these installs and I feel really good about where they're at."

On top of the usual X's and O's, the Packers' coaches have integrated their own personal comedic touch to the meetings. Rodgers specifically credited the ingenuity (and humor) of Hackett, offensive line coach Adam Stenavich and running backs coach Ben Sirmans during their presentations.

"Our coaches have done an unbelievable job of being creative, because the majority of our installs and whatnot have been more of those voice-over type installs and you want to keep the guys entertained," LaFleur said. "You spend a lot of time, you make these videos and they take a lot longer than they would normally."

from Packers Wire

“We’ll probably simplify (the hurry-up) quite a bit,” LaFleur said. “I’ll be honest with you, man, it’s been great having these Zoom meetings, especially since it’s allowed myself, (Nathaniel) Hackett, (Luke) Getsy and Aaron to have some one-on-ones as well. We definitely value (Rodgers’) input into what we’re doing. We definitely want him to feel comfortable with whatever it is we’re asking him to do.”

On 4/27/2020 at 2:44 PM, hitnhope said:

Is the offense going to improve?

Almost certainly not, but I think it might look better.  Offense was pretty good just very hot/cold last year.  I expect it'll be more consistent this year which might help, might not help.

Edited by skibrett15

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Almost certainly not, but I think it might look better.  Offense was pretty good just very hot/cold last year.  I expect it'll be more consistent this year which might help, might not help.

One of the most confusing thoughts to date.  Not but look better ... offense good but hot'/cold ... more consistent which may or may not help.  Huh?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

One of the most confusing thoughts to date.  Not but look better ... offense good but hot'/cold ... more consistent which may or may not help.  Huh?

We had a really good offense in the first quarter. We had a horrific offense in the second quarter. We had a good offense in the third quarter. We had an average offense in the 4th quarter.