2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The only issue is that if we pass on an OT at #17 there's no guarantee that Eichenberg, Cosmi, or Radunz make it to #48. A lot of the playoff teams need OT help as do teams picking at the top of the 2nd round. 

Realistically Grant and Moerig are the only two safeties IMO back and start next year in the single high safety role(Moerig being more of the stretch between the two). With offensive tackle there’s about 8 to 10 that I really like The first two days that I Think I can start at right tackle or at the very least play guard while we have good play tackle

6 minutes ago, reddevil said:

This is the big decision our FO needs to make. And for me it comes down to whether you feel confident you can get a starter at RT at 48 or are confident you can package picks to grab one (although I have doubts our FO will ever be aggressive in this way early in the draft).

I see there are question marks with the likes of Jenkins - but to me, he is in a small group (Cosmi, Eichenberg, Darrisaw) who will almost certainly go in the first. After these guys there looks to be a bit of a drop off or that the next group may need a bit more time to develop. Time we don’t have, as we need a RT to come in and start straight away. 

So while we may feel good about picking up Moehrig to fill that spot, there is a big risk we miss out on being able to get a starter for RT. 

The same could be said for safety of course, but I think it will be easier to fill that position in FA and draft a more developmental S than do the same for OT.

There’s a real risk to this and it feels eerily like going into the last draft needing to sign a WR and CB and having to decide which order to pick them. And we know how that workers out!

I think if you can get Darisaw or a Cosmi you take them at 17 after that I think I will wait till day 2

9 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I honestly don’t think that Richy grants going to be there at 48. I don’t think they need to get a right tackle in the first round unless there’s somebody they really like. There are some really good ones out there that you could probably get Day 2

It's just all a risk at this point, I'd also love to move down later into the 1st round and target Grant/Moehrig while acquiring more draft capital. 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Realistically Grant and Moerig are the only two safeties IMO back and start next year in the single high safety role(Moerig being more of the stretch between the two). With offensive tackle there’s about 8 to 10 that I really like The first two days that I Think I can start at right tackle or at the very least play guard while we have good play tackle

A lot of OT are going to be gone by 48 though. A lot of the teams picking 20-32 will be looking at OT as will the teams picking at the top of the second round. 

It's just all a risk at this point, I'd also love to move down later into the 1st round and target Grant/Moehrig while acquiring more draft capital. 

To be honest I’ve noticed for years on here people say that every year. With that being said, this year it’s never been more true that trading down might actually be the best option

7 minutes ago, reddevil said:

That 48 pick is going to be decisive in what we do

17 is going to be a crucial decision for our draft class. If we go OT we run the risk of Grant/Moehrig both being off the board by 48. And if we go FS we run the risk of the top tier OT being off the board at 48.

A lot of OT are going to be gone by 48 though. A lot of the teams picking 20-32 will be looking at OT as will the teams picking at the top of the second round. 

I can see that happening. Another part of my rationale is the fact that good can play right tackle but we don’t have anyone who can play single high safety on the roster right now. Guard grows on trees so you can get one of those in the fourth round. And there’s still Simpson

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

To be honest I’ve noticed for years on here people say that every year. With that being said, this year it’s never been more true that trading down might actually be the best option

The only issue is that to trade down you have to find a trade parter that wants to move up for their guy. 

Two teams that I could see as potential trade down partners are the Jaguars and Jets. Both teams are likely going QB at #1/#2 but they also both have multiple 1st round picks. If there's an offensive tackle that they love on the board at #17 I could see one of those two wanting to move up to secure their guy. 

One potential trade that could make sense for both teams:

Las Vegas receives: #25 (720), #45 (450)

Jacksonville receives: #17 (950), #79 (195)

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

17 is going to be a crucial decision for our draft class. If we go OT we run the risk of Grant/Moehrig both being off the board by 48. And if we go FS we run the risk of the top tier OT being off the board at 48.

I think that’s what I meant. It’s the fact that we won’t be sure who will be there at 48 that will influence what we do at 17

1 minute ago, reddevil said:

I think that’s what I meant. It’s the fact that we won’t be sure who will be there at 48 that will influence what we do at 17

With the extra 3rd round pick we could also move up in the second round to secure our guy at FS/OT depending on what we do at #17.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

With the extra 3rd round pick we could also move up in the second round to secure our guy at FS/OT depending on what we do at #17.

We could......but will we? It’s the same with trading back in the first. A) you have to find a partner and get good value and B) you have to be willing to do it and I’m not sure this FO would.

In fact we have seen the opposite, that they take the next guy on the list in a position if need, regardless if perceived value or trying to get value through trades

5 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Can’t or hasn’t? Honestly asking, haven’t watched him specifically. 

UW played him at nickel, but he projects to FS in the NFL. Saying he "can't" is misguided. He's skillset translates well to safety. He's very instinctive with excellent ball skills and closing speed. His challenge is his size. As a safety, he translates because of his excellent anticipation and ball skills. 

7 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

To be clear I never Jenkins at 17. I actually like Leatherwood at some point on day two(contrary to popular opinion). 

I actually prefer richy grant to Trevon Moehrig(though I do also like Moehrig) I want to see how Richy Grant tests this week.  I would take either of the two and 17(also contrary to popular opinion). FS with a single high skill set are hard to find. If you want to do day two for free safety I would go with Andre Cisco(although I’m not sure he’s ready to start this year) and ADarius Washington.

I wasn’t taking about you btw.  I was referring to another members who I was talking with quite respectfully who decided to start throwing nasty indirects out instead of addressing the issues about Jenkins I mentioned.

Just like I like Jenkins... just not at 17 because he does have some flaws..... I do like a Richie Grant a lot too.  Unlike some i don’t suffer from black and white thinking....

my only big thing with against Grant is the fact he might not make it to 48.  Now what do you do?  I think Cisco is a year from starting.