2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

CeeDee Lamb was clearly WR1 and we passed on him for Ruggs because Mark Davis wanted his Cliff Branch and Gruden wanted his Tyreek Hill. We were banking on AJ Terrell being there at #19 and panicked when he went off the board and reached on Arnette. 

It was also pretty clear that the original plan was to sign Byron Jones and draft a LB at #19. But once we missed on Jones we paid Littleton and looked to address CB in the draft. 

Regardless of how you slice it, Lamb should've been the pick at #12 and we shouldn't have reached on Arnette at #19, it was a desperate pick. Mayock has had no problem reaching on Clemson guys in the past and in last years draft there was a clear drop off at CB after Okudah, Henderson, and Terrell. While it was one of the best WR classes we've seen in the last decade. 

With Byron Jones I completely agree with you on that it was obvious that that was the original plan(Either him or Chris Harris). I do think that Littleton was always part of the plan though And didn't end up getting paid as much as I thought he would(Due to how much everyone got last year).

Hypothetically speaking maybe we did expect AJ Terrell to be there(but again that's hypothetical). With that being said I'll stand by this I didn't think Arnette was a bad pic at 19(Although I would've obviously taken AJ Terrell). I was talking to somebody on here a month ago And I remember putting out A detailed evaluation of what I thought of him personally what he was a good fit for, how he was missed used under Gunther(As was Mullen and the rest of the DBs) And also that he only really played seven games(with no offseason) so I think when it comes to Arnette we really need to relax(But worth noting that there were no corners really drafted in the first round they performed admirably)

OK, let me say this now before we go any further.. No I've been watching this forum for like almost 15 years now, I didn't start talking on here until now so you wouldn't know my opinion on last year's receiver class.

Cd lamb was my favorite college player for the last three years going into last year's draft. With that being said I thought the Raiders should've drafted ruggs And I have been saying that since January of last year.

The reason why I said Ruggs What is simple: Rugs makes everybody on the team better whether or not he gets the ball or not and he is the only one who demands a double team regardless of who the number one corner is. Something that's key to understand about the other wide receiver prospects who came out is that none of them had to See number one corner coverage and/or a double team.

And one reason why I didn't really care too much if Nelson Agholor was reassigned was due to the fact that I knew from watching the games that nelson Agholor very rarely saw any significant coverage.

I would even go as far as to say the reason why Waller had the year he had is because of the threat he was to score on any play. If we had cd lamb(Who was overall the best overall receiver) I don't think he would've helped our offense as much as a home because of the fact that he's not that fast so if you put a number one corner on him you pretty much take care of the situation once you double-team Waller. 

Also need to deal with the fact that with Agholor no one was really accounting for him as a deep threat. Outside of the corner that was in front of him. If you look at all of his touchdowns or big plays there was never some safety over the top that was thinking all we need to stop nelson Agholor. The safety almost always cheated the ruggs side. Don't get me wrong rugs obviously needs to get better at running route so that he can take advantage Of how much DBs sellout for the deep ball As well as keeping his feet in bounds. But I would've picked him. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

I do think that Littleton was always part of the plan though And didn't end up getting paid as much as I thought he would(Due to how much everyone got last year).

A couple of the beat writers have written about this. Littleton was not part of the plan. The plan was Byron Jones and when he went with Miami, they spent the cash on Littleton. It was reported that Guenther was luke warm on the addition at the time which stands to reason given how poorly he played in his defense. 

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

You got Deablo as a SS type ? Was thinking backup for Abram ? 

St Juste CB Minnesota 6’3 200lbs. Another mid-late rounder. Missed his sophomore year and got transferred so might be an issue there.  

Robert Rochell CB Central Akansas 6’0 195lbs has 32’ arms. Bit raw but H/W/S would tick the boxes for Bradley. 

I wanna see how fast deablo is but I think he can do fs or ss but I’d prefer him at ss. Gotta do hw on the other guys you posted 

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Mayock has had no problem reaching on Clemson guys in the past and in last years draft there was a clear drop off at CB after Okudah, Henderson, and Terrell.

I don't remember Terrell ever being mentioned in that tier. I believe we spent months discussing who was CB3. And so did the "experts".

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

A couple of the beat writers have written about this. Littleton was not part of the plan. The plan was Byron Jones and when he went with Miami, they spent the cash on Littleton. It was reported that Guenther was luke warm on the addition at the time which stands to reason given how poorly he played in his defense. 

Interesting... Would you happen to have a link for that? I never saw that one. 

Where I get that Byron Jones was part of the original plan It's because it was pretty obvious by how much money they threw at him(Raiders actually threw more than Miami he just chose Miami in the end). 

I've also seen Paul Gunther say How he doesn't like the team to invest in linebackers Because of the fact that he believes that he can Develop undrafted players and small school safeties that transition to linebacker. And then he always mentions Vontaze Burfict as a feather in his cap lol smh

I’m fairly certain that if FS and OT are not addressed before the draft we will draft Moehrig (Grant if unavailable) at 17.

In the 2nd, we’ll grab that RT (if there’s a run, I can see moving up with the extra 3rd). There’s quite a few OTs that would project to being a quality starter.

I’m pretty confidant in this strategy because Good would be the backup plan at OT if things don’t work out (I’m well aware he’s a better G than T). We have Simpson to slot in at G if we have to and I’m confident we can draft a starting caliber G in the 3rd if necessary.  

There’s zero players on our roster that play single high safety with any sort of confidence. I feel like in Bradley’s scheme FS and SLB are way higher priorities than in other schemes. 

irrelevant to the discussion, but want to comment on SLB. I feel like this a key component in his defense as this is a player that sets the edge, covers the TE AND rushes the passer. This type of player is a bloody unicorn.  It’s why I wish we had addressed more needs as I feel Zaven Collins would have been an amazing choice for us.  Never would come off the field as he’d move to a DE position on passing situations... oh well.  

2 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

There’s zero players on our roster that play single high safety with any sort of confidence. I feel like in Bradley’s scheme FS and SLB are way higher priorities than in other schemes. 

And not many options in FA or the draft either. Hooker/Boston are the only options in FA. Dallas (running the same scheme now) passed on Hooker. Boston has the history of signing late.