2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

50 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Moehrig, Nixon and Little I do really like and we fill needs at FS, RT and DT with high potential players. Nixon I think may be the best DT in the class when all said and done so to get him in 3 would be amazing, do you think he'll fall that far?

I very much doubt it. The TDN simulator is fun - but never particularly accurate and you seem to always be able to pick players up ahead of where they expect to go.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Drafting a RT in round 1 or 2 is going to be such a kick in the face. The spent a 3rd (65 overall) on Brandon Parker and then signed Trent Brown to a largest contract ever for a RT.

3 year later, they still have a need a RT and are pigeon holed into spending an early pick on one when the are desperate for anything on defense. 

This is my biggest problem. We can never go into an off season being able to focus on our main weaknesses because we have holes due to bad drafting/FA signees (Parker, Brown) plus we create holes by cutting or not resigning players who are good (Hudson). Therefore we never actually get better. We just keep introducing different problems and moving them around the positions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

It all depends on where we are picking, I assume you are thinking in the first round after a small trade down? I'd pass because we have two capable guards and we have just traded an All Pro centre. Other more valuable positions in the very top of the draft. Also, as a rookie it'd be unlikely he'd play at an All Pro level his first or even see second year so you might get two years of really top notch play and you'd have to extend it re-sign him and we just have made a very obvious move to make our OL cheaper so I doubt we want to pay top dollar to a guard in a few years. If he falls later in the draft and you know he's a OG and not OT then you would consider it I guess. We seem to value guards around the 3rd or 4th round........

He can play OT as well and you could start him and Good in some combination on the right side.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Drafting a RT in round 1 or 2 is going to be such a kick in the face. The spent a 3rd (65 overall) on Brandon Parker and then signed Trent Brown to a largest contract ever for a RT.

3 year later, they still have a need a RT and are pigeon holed into spending an early pick on one when the are desperate for anything on defense. 

One of the biggest mistakes we've made in the Gruden era was drafting Brandon Parker, a D3 project, over Orlando Brown Jr who was an All-American OT at Oklahoma and has become a Pro Bowl RT. 

They said the reason we passed on him was because of his weight/lack of athleticism. But then made Trent Brown the highest paid RT in the NFL, who's combine numbers were almost identical to Orlando's, lmfao.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

One of the biggest mistakes we've made in the Gruden era was drafting Brandon Parker, a D3 project, over Orlando Brown Jr who was an All-American OT at Oklahoma and has become a Pro Bowl RT. 

They said the reason we passed on him was because of his weight/lack of athleticism. But then made Trent Brown the highest paid RT in the NFL, who's combine numbers were almost identical to Orlando's, lmfao.

If you have not noticed most of what myself and a few other posters who are more critical of this team keep pointing out Gruden as a huge issue.  If you want this team to start turning it around you need to strip Gruden of personnel decisions and play calling.  The Parker over Brown decision was most likely made by Cable and I have also criticized Gruden's faith in Cable as a big issue.  Gruden gives Cable more control than he deserves because he is Gruden's personal boot licker.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If you have not noticed most of what myself and a few other posters who are more critical of this team keep pointing out Gruden as a huge issue.  If you want this team to start turning it around you need to strip Gruden of personnel decisions and play calling.  The Parker over Brown decision was most likely made by Cable and I have also criticized Gruden's faith in Cable as a big issue.  Gruden gives Cable more control than he deserves because he is Gruden's personal boot licker.  

Regardless of who the positional coach is or who the GM has been, Gruden has the final say in all of the personnel decisions that we make. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Regardless of who the positional coach is or who the GM has been, Gruden has the final say in all of the personnel decisions that we make. 

I now and I also know that it is a huge problem.  I am not arguing what is but what should be.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I now and I also know that it is a huge problem.  I am not arguing what is but what should be.

I think the biggest issue we have right now is that Gruden has full control over personnel decisions and has never proven to be capable of building a winning team. We also hired a GM in Mike Mayock that had zero experience running a team or working in an NFL front office. He worked in commercial real estate following his football career and then became a broadcaster/analyst for NFL Network.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He can play OT as well and you could start him and Good in some combination on the right side.

Yeh, I can kind of justify it if he was a RT, but I think there'd be better ones and the OP says specifically guard so I assume he meant we'd play him exclusively at guard. That to me would make no sense as we have two very capable guards and drafted one last year plus they are generally one of the easier positions to fill whilst we also seem to be cost controlled there. Obviously adding any All Pro type player would be a boon but I'd much rather trade down if possible and take a DT, FS, RT, DE or if we have to stay put a RT, CB or a guy who may drop into our laps unexpectedly. Guard is very low on my priorities TBH 😁

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I can kind of justify it if he was a RT, but I think there'd be better ones and the OP says specifically guard so I assume he meant we'd play him exclusively at guard. That to me would make no sense as we have two very capable guards and drafted one last year plus they are generally one of the easier positions to fill whilst we also seem to be cost controlled there. Obviously adding any All Pro type player would be a boon but I'd much rather trade down if possible and take a DT, FS, RT, DE or if we have to stay put a RT, CB or a guy who may drop into our laps unexpectedly. Guard is very low on my priorities TBH 😁

AVT played RG as a sophomore, LG as a junior and LT as a senior at USC and more than held his own at OT. The only concern with him is that he lacks ideal length for an OT. Richie will be 38 when the season starts and is coming off of an Achilles tear, there's no guarantee that he'll hold up for a 17 game season. 

I think if the staff feels confident that Good can play RT, AVT would be an excellent pick. You'd obviously try him at RT first but if it's not a great fit you can slide him inside to OG. 

We've seen how valuable Good's versatility was for our OL last season, AVT could provide similar versatility as a guy who has played across the OL. In an ideal world I'd go AVT in the 1st and then Spencer Brown in the 3rd. 

I really don't see anyway that we go CB in the 1st round. All of the rookie CB's struggled last season and we've just invested two early picks into the position group. 

One of the things that kind of concerns me about the OT class is that after Sewell and Darrisaw, it gets kind of murky. 

Alijah Vera-Tucker and Rashawn Slater are both great athletes but they lack length and project better as guards.

Jalen Mayfield has the tools but he hardly played at Michigan. And Teven Jenkins has back problems and wasn't great in pass protection. 

If we're looking to go OT in the 1st I'd feel a lot better about trading down and taking Eichenberg or Cosmi. 

4 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

I'm really against him, don't like how he moves.  I can see him at strong safety but don't see him playing free.  

He's a great tackler for a DB and he's okay in zone.  But really hate him in man coverage and the is very little burst when changing direction.  I don't want to spend another high pick on another limited box safety 

He played a lot of nickel at Oregon. I agree, I don't like him in man coverage. I do like him as a FS. I disagree on how he moves. He's got good closing speed, range and he plays the ball really well. He was an excellent punt returner as well which says something about his speed and ability.

3rd round, he'd be a great addition. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

One of the things that kind of concerns me about the OT class is that after Sewell and Darrisaw, it gets kind of murky. 

Alijah Vera-Tucker and Rashawn Slater are both great athletes but they lack length and project better as guards.

Jalen Mayfield has the tools but he hardly played at Michigan. And Teven Jenkins has back problems and wasn't great in pass protection. 

If we're looking to go OT in the 1st I'd feel a lot better about trading down and taking Eichenberg or Cosmi. 

Listened to an interesting podcast about the OTs. One guys was talking about his doubts with Darrisaw due to some poor games (Miami and Liberty I think) and where he tailed off in the fourth in some games too. Kind of interesting. 

Just adds to your assessment that they all have question marks. But I suppose all draft picks do.

19 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Listened to an interesting podcast about the OTs. One guys was talking about his doubts with Darrisaw due to some poor games (Miami and Liberty I think) and where he tailed off in the fourth in some games too. Kind of interesting. 

Just adds to your assessment that they all have question marks. But I suppose all draft picks do.

Sewell is really the only elite OT prospect in the draft. If we needed a LT I'd be for trading up to grab him but it's not worth it to play him at RT. 

I'd honestly prefer to sign Mitchell Schwartz and take a guy like Spencer Brown in the 3rd round.