2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

There’s so many people commenting that it’s hard to really quote someone and reply..... but:

i think Moehrig is just way better at understanding what an offense is going to do snd reacting early then Grant. 
Plus.... there really are only 2 solid FS options for me... Molden is 5’10 190, sure he might! have the ability to play FS but he’s a little small.
With so many OTs in rounds 1-3 and veteran FAs still available there are soooooo many combinations of OTs to go with. Yet there really are only 2 FSs plus Hooker+Boston to go with.

Not to mention I think FS has a slightly higher positional value then RT.

Thus.... I’d rather trade down in round 1 and grab Moehrig and then target Eichenberg/Leatherwood at 48.  If there’s a run on OTs and we fear losing out we just take that draft capital and trade up to secure an OT.

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

He’s got great tape him and Gillispe are my top reasonable safety options 

You got Deablo as a SS type ? Was thinking backup for Abram ? 

St Juste CB Minnesota 6’3 200lbs. Another mid-late rounder. Missed his sophomore year and got transferred so might be an issue there.  

Robert Rochell CB Central Akansas 6’0 195lbs has 32’ arms. Bit raw but H/W/S would tick the boxes for Bradley. 

7 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Can’t or hasn’t? Honestly asking, haven’t watched him specifically. 

I think he has the skill set to transition. Think he plays closer to the LOS because he's that talented Washington don't want him deep. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

UW played him at nickel, but he projects to FS in the NFL. Saying he "can't" is misguided. He's skillset translates well to safety. He's very instinctive with excellent ball skills and closing speed. His challenge is his size. As a safety, he translates because of his excellent anticipation and ball skills. 

I have no faith in our staff moving guys to new positions after last year. At this point I'm bracing for Jeff Heath to be the starting FS.

3 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Not to mention I think FS has a slightly higher positional value then RT.

1 million percent FS is a higher positional value than RT. Our RT's when our offense was good pre-Gruden were Khalif Barnes and Austin Howard. I mean look at Orlando Brown Jr, he literally asked to be traded by Baltimore so he could play for a team that will use him at LT because he knows he can secure that LT money. 

If you're taking an OT early it's almost always a LT because the best OT on a college team is likely going to be protecting the QB's blindside. 

FS is a premium position, especially in a scheme like Bradley's that requires a FS with the range to play almost exclusively in single high. Because having a very good FS allows you to be creative with how you use your other safety and also provides a security blanket on the back end that can clean up mistakes by other players in the secondary. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I have no faith in our staff moving guys to new positions after last year. At this point I'm bracing for Jeff Heath to be the starting FS.

I was going to mention this but I thought it went without saying LOL

Edited by Jeremy408

10 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Vics mock 

28. Trade with Saints Raider pick Trevon Moehrig 

48. Alex Leatherwood OT

60. Tommy Togiai DT

79. Trill Williams CB

80. Dayo Odeyingbo EDGE

121. Andre Cisco S

162. Chuba Hubbard RB

I like Vic's insight on internal team affairs but man his football analysis is horrible, lol. 

Last year in Vic's mock draft he had us taking (with a trade down)

12. Henry Ruggs | WR | Alabama

21. AJ Terrell | CB | Clemson

53. Michael Pittman Jr | WR | USC

81. Darrell Taylor | Edge | Tennessee

91. AJ Dillon | RB | Boston College

121. Davion Taylor | LB | Colorado 

159. Case Cookus | QB | Northern Arizona

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

1 million percent FS is a higher positional value than RT. Our RT's when our offense was good pre-Gruden were Khalif Barnes and Austin Howard. I mean look at Orlando Brown Jr, he literally asked to be traded by Baltimore so he could play for a team that will use him at LT because he knows he can secure that LT money. 

If you're taking an OT early it's almost always a LT because the best OT on a college team is likely going to be protecting the QB's blindside. 

FS is a premium position, especially in a scheme like Bradley's that requires a FS with the range to play almost exclusively in single high. Because having a very good FS allows you to be creative with how you use your other safety and also provides a security blanket on the back end that can clean up mistakes by other players in the secondary. 

That's what I was getting at yesterday by the way. And then you factor in that this year it's already raining tackle in general right tackle of the two 

And then you look at single high safety where I've only really seen three guys that can definitively play the position coming out this year: Cisco(Who is not ready to start next year imo)  Grant, & Moerig. Maybe Holland but I personally think that's even a stretch. 

1 minute ago, Jeremy408 said:

That's what I was getting at yesterday by the way. And then you factor in that this year it's already raining tackle in general right tackle of the two 

Our approach to free agency just put us in a weird spot because we have two major holes to fill at RT/FS just like we did last year at CB/WR.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Our approach to free agency just put us in a weird spot because we have two major holes to fill at RT/FS just like we did last year at CB/WR.

I'd rather have those spots being the two major holes With where we're picking this year then having holes at corner and receiver where we were picking last year. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I'd rather have those spots being the two major holes With where we're picking this year then having holes at corner and receiver where we were picking last year. 

I definitely wouldn't. Last year we had our choice at WR at #12 and could've went with CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy. We also could've went with AJ Terrell at #12 who ended up being the best rookie CB and Justin Jefferson at #19 who was by far the most productive rookie WR. 

This year we're in a tough spot because the top 3 OT will likely be off the board before we pick in Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw. And then you have a bunch of guys in a similar tier that all come with question marks. So you can take one of those guys #17 and pray that Richie Grant falls to #48, which probably won't happen. Or you can take Moehrig at #17 and pray that one of the OT's falls to #48, which probably won't happen.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I definitely wouldn't. Last year we had our choice at WR at #12 and could've went with CeeDee Lamb or Jerry Jeudy. We also could've went with AJ Terrell at #12 who ended up being the best rookie CB and Justin Jefferson at #19 who was by far the most productive rookie WR. 

This year we're in a tough spot because the top 3 OT will likely be off the board before we pick in Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw. And then you have a bunch of guys in a similar tier that all come with question marks. So you can take one of those guys #17 and pray that Richie Grant falls to #48, which probably won't happen. Or you can take Moehrig at #17 and pray that one of the OT's falls to #48, which probably won't happen.

My thing though is that anyone can say that we shouldve got AJ Terrell at 12 and jefferson at 19 in hindsight. Reality is receiver and corner are some of the hardest positions to evaluate and easiest positions to get wrong coming out of college. Where as safety and right tackle are easier to get right. Corner and receiver are also more important positions as well So when you get those wrong it hurts.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing though is that anyone can say that we shouldve got AJ Terrell at 12 and jefferson at 19 in hindsight. Reality is receiver and corner are some of the hardest positions to evaluate and easiest positions to get wrong coming out of college. Where as safety and right tackle are easier to get right. Corner and receiver are also more important positions as well So when you get those wrong it hurts.

CeeDee Lamb was clearly WR1 and we passed on him for Ruggs because Mark Davis wanted his Cliff Branch and Gruden wanted his Tyreek Hill. We were banking on AJ Terrell being there at #19 and panicked when he went off the board and reached on Arnette. 

It was also pretty clear that the original plan was to sign Byron Jones and draft a LB at #19. But once we missed on Jones we paid Littleton and looked to address CB in the draft. 

Regardless of how you slice it, Lamb should've been the pick at #12 and we shouldn't have reached on Arnette at #19, it was a desperate pick. Mayock has had no problem reaching on Clemson guys in the past and in last years draft there was a clear drop off at CB after Okudah, Henderson, and Terrell. While it was one of the best WR classes we've seen in the last decade.