2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

50 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i like both Moehrig and Grant

vic tafur has been suggesting the raiders might wait until day 2 to address tackle, in what is a legitimately deep class. he recently mocked them trading back in the first and taking Moehrig, for example

unless Darrisaw is there I’ve been saying we trade back.  It’s just such a smart, obvious move to anyone thinking logically and not emotionally about getting the one prospect they’ve locked in on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Reminds me a lot of Incognito actually

I love the idea of drafting Him and developing him behind Incognito for a year.  He might even be a C.  Plus I think Simpson is more of a RG anyways and should be moved their to develop there this year.

50 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I've seen things all over the place. I can also see them being adamant on a defender, considering it's been the main focus of the offseason. I can see Bradley locking onto Moehrig/Grant. I can also see them looking to get Darrisaw/Jenkins. The surprise for me would be Barmore/Onwuzurike.

i could see barmore happening (i've already expressed that i dont love barmore as a day 1 pick)... we dont have any DT's under contract beyond this season, and this class is otherwise pretty weak on the defensive interior, so he's kind of at a premium.

i hope its not the case though. imo coming away with starting caliber players at FS and RT (even assuming we sign stopgaps) is absolutely vital for this team to compete. cant say the same about DT. and im not just speaking about 2021. Bradley is going to need a stud centerfielder for his defense to perform, and Carr's play is night and day when he's protected

Edited by Turnobili

Just now, Turnobili said:

i could see barmore happening (i've already expressed that i dont love barmore as a day 1 pick)... we dont have any DT's under contract beyond this season, and this class is otherwise pretty weak on the defensive interior, so he's kind of at a premium.

i hope its not the case though. imo coming away with starting caliber players at FS and RT (even assuming we sign stopgaps) is absolutely vital for this team to compete. cant say the same about DT

Agree as far as needs. If we want to get aggressive, we can package 3rds to move into the 2nd for an additional player (79+80~pick 52). Plus use our 5ths to move up as well.

For example: 

1. Teven Jenkins (or your tackle of choice)

2. Richie Grant

2. (package 79, 80)  Levi Onwuzurike/Daviyon Nixon (who I also really like in the 2nd)

That would be excellent. 3 players who could make an impact in year 1 at key positions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

. I am not sold on Moehrig playing single high--at least right away. I am not sure he has the eyes or instincts for it.

Have you actually watched a good amount of Moehrig yet? 

Cuz Eyes and more importantly his film study+intelligence+instincts to quickly process the play or even correctly predict routes or the play is what makes his so good.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/trevon-moehrig/GSElMpqgbm
“Trevon Moehrig is a free safety that has satisfied multiple roles for the Horned Frogs. A consistent and urgent single-high player, he’s a free-flowing mover that’s at his best when able to patrol the middle of the field.“

“Takes proper angles to the action, displays a closing burst, and works hard defending the pass. Quick and fluid pedaling in reverse, immediately reads and diagnoses plays, and physically outmuscles receivers to defend passes.”

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/trevon-moehrig-nfl-draft-player-profile-tcu-safety/

yes he can be a little over aggressive coming upfield at times and got hit with a double moves a few times but so what he’s got something to work on.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i dont want either of those safeties in the box very often, but if there's an advantage to the single high schemes, its that your safeties can (and should) be more specialized. you dont need both safeties to be good in coverage and good in run support

Yeah... neither would be very good in the box but Moehrig is actually okay coming down hill and filling.  He’s never going to be a stud run defender but half of the run defense for DBs is desire+heart and Moehrig isn’t scared and willing to hit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Man I’d love if we just attacked the trenches with our first 4 picks...something like this. 

1 - Jaelen Phillips, DE

2 - Christian Barmore, DT

3 - Jackson Carmen, OT

3 - Spencer Brown, OT

4 - Dylan Moses, LB

5 - Reed Blankenship, S

5 - Divine Deablo, S

6 - Josh Palmer, WR

Love how you double up on OTs!  I really like Phillips but not in love with him for our first round pick.  Yannick, Crosby, Ferrell has me content for this year.

ive been high on Deablo for over a year.  That 40 time is gonna send him rising up boards.

Remember watching the TCU/Oklahoma St game. Haven’t even heard of Trevon yet. Dude was all over the field. Just couldn’t watch that game and not notice him. Oklahoma st QB thought he scored running into the end zone. Trevon hit him to knock him out at the 1 and the QB started to yap at him. He gave him the hand motion to keep talking and like 3 plays later Trevon picked him off. At that point I knew he was a dawg and instantly started to research. 

Safety number 1 and it’s not close. Can line up every where. Best cover safety in the draft. Play him high play him close doesn’t matter. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Phillips is absolutely filthy, if he is there at #17 he needs to be the pick. 

When I first saw his film long before he ever tested I said he was the best pass rusher in this class hands-down. There's nothing he can't do. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

When I first saw his film long before he ever tested I said he was the best pass rusher in this class hands-down. There's nothing he can't do. 

Honestly I don’t understand why that isn’t the consensus opinion.... all I can think is not enough people with websites or who yell loud enough have watched his tape in depth.... because once you do these no way he isn’t #1.

people don’t like breaking from the consensus with their opinions especially once a player like Paye has been at DE1 for so long.  Look at how long it took until Rousseau fell.:. But once that got momentum he fell hard. 

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1