2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

On 12/14/2020 at 4:55 AM, big_palooka said:

Well this is not encouraging . . . . .

Looks like Raiders will need to find a way to land one of Anthony Harris, Justin Simmons if they hit FA. Pretty soft class of FAs outside those 2. DT isn't great either.

I'll like be in favor of trading picks for talent this year. I think fans overrate draft picks not in the top 10. 

I'd have given 12 for Defroest Buckner in a heartbeat last year.

I really like Andre Cisco in the 2nd round if he's there but would give up my left arm for Simmons. 

The Safety class may not be top heavy or have an elite guy like Jamal Adams, Minkah, etc but the 40-100 range is going to have some very good safety prospects that present very solid value. I think when it's all said and done Trevon Moerhig will be the first safety off the board. After that I think we can get a solid S with our 2nd round pick but I'd rather wait until the 3rd where I think the value will be just right. I've been throwing around different draft strategies and here is where I'm at right now.

Round 1: Best front 7 player that can rush the passer....

-At this spot I think we go with the highest front 7 player on our board that brings pass rushing ability to the table. This can be a traditional DE, penetrating DT, or off ball LB that can move around. Targets here for me would include...

-Kwity Paye (ideal choice but most likely gone by our pick)

-Jay Tufele - good value in the early 20's imo, can push the pocket and defend the run

-Joseph Ossai 

-Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah 

-Zaven Collins

-Azeez Ojulari

I hope in round 1 we have the opportunity for a slight trade back if someone wants to jump up and potentially get the last of the tier 1 OT's or WR's but I won't hold my breath especially as Mayock/Gruden have showed if they like a player they will not hesitate to take them where they stand. 

Round 2: BPA

- I'd like to use this pick and go BPA to just add as much talent as possible. Some options that I really like in the mid 2nd (assuming Moerhig is gone) I'd really like us to take a look at...

-Jayson Oweh

-Jaelan Phillips

-Carlos Basham, Jr

-Christian Barmore

-Amon-Ra St. Brown

Round 3: Safety/DB

-I think the sweet spot for a FS/DB is right here in the 3rd round. Some guys I really like...

-Andre Cisco

-Richie Grant

-Paris Ford

-Reed Blankenship

Some of these guys would be better value in the 4th round obviously but if we whiff in FA to sign a difference maker at FS we'd need to jump on one here in the 3rd. If we fill our FS whole in FA then I still wouldn't mind taking another young FS in the 3rd but would prefer to wait until the 4th if it's not a pressing need. Other players who I really like in the 3rd...

-Chazz Surratt (one of my favorite players in the whole draft)

-Quincy Roche

-Patrick Jones II (he's going to be a riser for sure)

-Kary Vincent Jr

-Levi Onwuzurike (underrated) 

Grabbing a FA FS like Marcus Williams and then having a draft like...

1. Jay Tufele, DT

2. Jayson Oweh, Edge

3. Chazz Surratt, LB

4. Reed Blankenship, FS

Would be an absolute home run IMO

Edited by CaliforniaKid7

2 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Barmore I just view him as a late first round/ early second

Barmore has top 10 talent, the sample size coming into the year was just small and he had a slow start to the year. IIRC he was dealing with injuries early in the season though. 

https://tdalabamamag.com/2020/12/13/christian-barmore-dominant-alabama-defense-perfect-time/

1 hour ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

The Safety class may not be top heavy or have an elite guy like Jamal Adams, Minkah, etc but the 40-100 range is going to have some very good safety prospects that present very solid value. I think when it's all said and done Trevon Moerhig will be the first safety off the board. After that I think we can get a solid S with our 2nd round pick but I'd rather wait until the 3rd where I think the value will be just right. I've been throwing around different draft strategies and here is where I'm at right now.

Yeah there's not an elite safety in the class but Ar'Darius Washington, Trevon Moerhig, and Andre Cisco are all good prospects. Sucks that Cisco got hurt but that may slide him down the board for us to grab him in round 2/3. 

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah there's not an elite safety in the class but Ar'Darius Washington, Trevon Moerhig, and Andre Cisco are all good prospects. Sucks that Cisco got hurt but that may slide him down the board for us to grab him in round 2/3. 

What are your thoughts on Washington? I've got to say I'm not as high on him as the consensus seems to be. Would he be a good fit for this team in your opinion? Probably a round 3 guy right? Top 2 rounds seems rich for me. Also have not watched a lot of Hamsah Nasirildeen from FSU. I also love Paris Ford but he may not be the best combo w/ Abrams going forward but the guy can play. I really like Richie Grant from UCF if he's there in the 3rd as he's probably gone by the 4th but he'd be a great addition to our backend if we can sign a FS to start initially. 

10 minutes ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

What are your thoughts on Washington? I've got to say I'm not as high on him as the consensus seems to be. Would he be a good fit for this team in your opinion? Probably a round 3 guy right? Top 2 rounds seems rich for me. Also have not watched a lot of Hamsah Nasirildeen from FSU. I also love Paris Ford but he may not be the best combo w/ Abrams going forward but the guy can play. I really like Richie Grant from UCF if he's there in the 3rd as he's probably gone by the 4th but he'd be a great addition to our backend if we can sign a FS to start initially. 

I liked Washington's tape in 2019 more than 2020 for sure. He's pretty small and similar to Amik Robertson so I'm not sure he'd fit well with us. I like Hamsah but he's more of a LB/SS hybrid than a FS, imo, he doesn't fit well with Abram. 

Our best bet to improve at FS is to go hard after Anthony Harris or Justin Simmons in free agency. I know that we were high on Harris going into free agency last year and I don't think the Vikings are going to resign him. 

3 hours ago, CaliforniaKid7 said:

Round 1: Best front 7 player that can rush the passer....

-At this spot I think we go with the highest front 7 player on our board that brings pass rushing ability to the table. This can be a traditional DE, penetrating DT, or off ball LB that can move around. Targets here for me would include...

-Kwity Paye (ideal choice but most likely gone by our pick)

-Jay Tufele - good value in the early 20's imo, can push the pocket and defend the run

-Joseph Ossai 

-Jeremiah Owusu-Karamoah 

-Zaven Collins

-Azeez Ojulari

I hope in round 1 we have the opportunity for a slight trade back if someone wants to jump up and potentially get the last of the tier 1 OT's or WR's but I won't hold my breath especially as Mayock/Gruden have showed if they like a player they will not hesitate to take them where they stand. 

Round 2: BPA

- I'd like to use this pick and go BPA to just add as much talent as possible. Some options that I really like in the mid 2nd (assuming Moerhig is gone) I'd really like us to take a look at...

-Jayson Oweh

-Jaelan Phillips

-Carlos Basham, Jr

-Christian Barmore

-Amon-Ra St. Brown

Round 3: Safety/DB

-I think the sweet spot for a FS/DB is right here in the 3rd round. Some guys I really like...

-Andre Cisco

-Richie Grant

-Paris Ford

-Reed Blankenship

Some of these guys would be better value in the 4th round obviously but if we whiff in FA to sign a difference maker at FS we'd need to jump on one here in the 3rd. If we fill our FS whole in FA then I still wouldn't mind taking another young FS in the 3rd but would prefer to wait until the 4th if it's not a pressing need. Other players who I really like in the 3rd...

-Chazz Surratt (one of my favorite players in the whole draft)

-Quincy Roche

-Patrick Jones II (he's going to be a riser for sure)

-Kary Vincent Jr

-Levi Onwuzurike (underrated) 

Grabbing a FA FS like Marcus Williams and then having a draft like...

1. Jay Tufele, DT

2. Jayson Oweh, Edge

3. Chazz Surratt, LB

4. Reed Blankenship, FS

Would be an absolute home run IMO

Don’t forget we might need a RT.  Looks good, we aren’t that far off. Need to actually nail the draft a few key free agents, and a good Defensive coordinator. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I really like Andre Cisco in the 2nd round if he's there but would give up my left arm for Simmons. 

I wouldn’t mind if we pick up 2 safeties this off-season . A vet who is a stud at FS, and a rookie for 3 safety looks. Ideally the rookie would be a baller who has range, and could also slide in slot or play as a coverage backer in some sets. Abram plays wreckless too, would be smart to have a solid backup. Health is okay, I’ll keep him around one more year. Harris be gone or competing back in his special team role on a minimum deal. 

Edited by Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Yes, that was my guy. I did know this class was loaded at WR and the defense sucked. Didnt care for Jeudy, and preferred Ruggs over Lamb. 

I always though ruggs and hunter were too similar position wise and wanted a more complete #1 type wr. I also questioned his durability and experience due to lack of reps in college and his frame.