2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

21 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Let's get some god damn difference makers on D. Not a single player on D is safe. I thought Mullen and Kwiat were our good players there but both had absolutely horrific days.

They are still damn good. The problem is, if they don't play well, who will pick up the slack? The answer is no one.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

They are still damn good. The problem is, if they don't play well, who will pick up the slack? The answer is no one.

I said this before but since it’s relevant here:

1) even great players have off games.... and that’s why you need depth and a talented and balanced defense at all 3 levels.  Like you said when one good players has a bad day others need to step up.  We don’t have the others..... some cuz of injury and some cuz of lack of talent.

2) i watched from my phone so I may be wrong but to me it looked like Mullen got picked on mainly in zone coverage.... when he was passing his receiver off to the safety.  Now the safeties were Dallin Leavitt, Daryl Worley, and Erik Harris.  So he had zero deep help.  He’s also not a zone corner and really isn’t that experienced in zone.  This is why we need to pick a DC who runs mostly man coverage, or else Arnette and Mullen will struggle and never reach their potential.  It’s like flushing a high 2nd and mid First round picks down the drain. some of the penalties were deserved but a few were real weak calls.  But once you commit 1 then 2 now your under the microscope and they watch you more and the threshold for creating a flag drops substantially.  Lastly.... we had 1 sack and really failed to get pressure.... you can’t not pressure a gun Slinger QB like Herbert.

its easy to say Mullen or Kwiatkoski played poorly but look at the pass rush and safety play (Mullen) and defensive line run stuffing (Kwiatkoski) and it partly explains why.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I said this before but since it’s relevant here:

1) even great players have off games.... and that’s why you need depth and a talented and balanced defense at all 3 levels.  Like you said when one good players has a bad day others need to step up.  We don’t have the others..... some cuz of injury and some cuz of lack of talent.

2) i watched from my phone so I may be wrong but to me it looked like Mullen got picked on mainly in zone coverage.... when he was passing his receiver off to the safety.  Now the safeties were Dallin Leavitt, Daryl Worley, and Erik Harris.  So he had zero deep help.  He’s also not a zone corner and really isn’t that experienced in zone.  This is why we need to pick a DC who runs mostly man coverage, or else Arnette and Mullen will struggle and never reach their potential.  It’s like flushing a high 2nd and mid First round picks down the drain. some of the penalties were deserved but a few were real weak calls.  But once you commit 1 then 2 now your under the microscope and they watch you more and the threshold for creating a flag drops substantially.  Lastly.... we had 1 sack and really failed to get pressure.... you can’t not pressure a gun Slinger QB like Herbert.

its easy to say Mullen or Kwiatkoski played poorly but look at the pass rush and safety play (Mullen) and defensive line run stuffing (Kwiatkoski) and it partly explains why.

Absolutely. The issue is that our backup secondary members are absolute bums.

I see us bringing in at least 1 established corner, 1 established safety, AND drafting at least one. Mayock seems to aggressively address positions. WR and LB were last year. DT/CB/S this year IMO.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Absolutely. The issue is that our backup secondary members are absolute bums.

I see us bringing in at least 1 established corner, 1 established safety, AND drafting at least one. Mayock seems to aggressively address positions. WR and LB were last year. DT/CB/S this year IMO.

Worth noting, Raiders were big on Byron Jones who choose Miami. Then flipped that money to Littleton who I ready recently from Vic Tafur Guenther wasn't exactly glowing over when signed. Tafur made it sound as if they missed out on Jones, then desperately through the money at the LB spot in Littleton.

And I think they see what the Rams saw, that he's a 2 down LB. The Raiders are now 0-2 on blowing money on former Rams.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

This draft is going to cost a lot of GMs. It's more projection than usual. These guys haven't played and put a lot on film because of this seasons. You're going to be drafting off combine numbers more than ever.

So what's your take on how MM does?  Advantage from his old position or disadvantage?

5 minutes ago, Totty said:

So what's your take on how MM does?  Advantage from his old position or disadvantage?

I'd say even playing field. 

Advantage being an eye for underclassmen who may have been "on the rise" and opted out. 

Disadvantage being I don't really think he's a particularly exceptional talent evaluator, particularly in terms of value.

20 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I was more angry about them not calling the stiff arm to the head for offensive PI and Mullen getting the double foul for returning the favor.  Thursday was the most pressure we have had all year and it still seemed like we got very little.

Value has seemed to be a big issue for past few GM's. but tough to tell with this class considering 2020 was a strange rookie season for most. our defensive players get a little pass because Paul hasn't done many favors. I'd like to see these guys in a good system to cover-up weaknesses not expose em.

I thought mayock did decent job last year, and ruggs to me seemed like a gruden pick but I dunno. ruggs has potential to be a stud.

Edited by roi34
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, roi34 said:

Value has seemed to be a big issue for past few GM's. but tough to tell with this class considering 2020 was a strange rookie season for most. our defensive players get a little pass because Paul hasn't done many favors. I'd like to see these guys in a good system to cover-up weaknesses not expose em.

I thought mayock did decent job last year, and ruggs to me seemed like a gruden pick but I dunno. ruggs has potential to be a stud.

Sometimes it's not players, it's the plan.

We need a plan for these guys. Otherwise nothing matters.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Totty said:

I'd lean advantage, as I think he's a guy who grinds this this stuff religiously. But it all depends on how much input Gruden continues to have. That to me is the problem currently.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I know we need defense, but if we can land another WR like Tyan Wallace in the 4th, I will be ecstatic. Always should look for value where you can get it. 

BPA but lean heavy defense. if devonta Smith fell to us, it'd be hard to pass 😂

but yeah I'd like to see mostly defense but at good value. rather go offense in first then reach or just trade down

• Like 1