Everything Offseason Programs (OTA's and more)

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

You didn’t see ruggs win off the line, have a step on the cb and have to slow down for the ball? Fwiw we don’t really know who threw it.

Nope, I saw Ruggs win beautifully off the line but the CB recover well and the QB put the ball where Ruggs got both hands on it, I didnt see him slow down very much at all, good tenacity by the CB Johnson but a WR1 has to catch those. Could the QB have put the ball half a yard in front, possibly but that pass was good enough for a long gain to me.

It seems like we're nit picking the QB on a half yard placement and no-one has mentioned the receiver got both hands on the ball didnt catch it and tipped it to the CB?!?!? 

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Nope, I saw Ruggs win beautifully off the line but the CB recover well and the QB put the ball where Ruggs got both hands on it, I didnt see him slow down very much at all, good tenacity by the CB Johnson but a WR1 has to catch those. Could the QB have put the ball half a yard in front, possibly but that pass was good enough for a long gain to me.

It seems like we're nit picking the QB on a half yard placement and no-one has mentioned the receiver got both hands on the ball didnt catch it and tipped it to the CB?!?!? 

I’m kind of a Ruggs fan boy at this point...but yeah, that was his play to make. 

Great play by Johnson too. 

• Like 1

Ruggs release was excellent got Johnson to open his hips and that ball was poorly thrown. No need to put so much air under a ball when the WR has that much separation. All that does is allow the CB time to catch up and that is what Johnson did.

Ruggs go two hands on it and should have caught it, but a better throw equals a TD that is the difference in a TD and possibly only getting into FG range. Carr needs to be better and Ruggs needs to make that catch and run a cleaner route to where he is not running such a wide route. But better throw doesn’t allow the CB to catch up cause Ruggs smoked Johnson. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Ruggs release was excellent got Johnson to open his hips and that ball was poorly thrown. No need to put so much air under a ball when the WR has that much separation. All that does is allow the CB time to catch up and that is what Johnson did.

Ruggs go two hands on it and should have caught it, but a better throw equals a TD that is the difference in a TD and possibly only getting into FG range. Carr needs to be better and Ruggs needs to make that catch and run a cleaner route to where he is not running such a wide route. But better throw doesn’t allow the CB to catch up cause Ruggs smoked Johnson. 

Exactly Ruggs could have still made the catch, but Johnson doesn't catch up if the ball is throw where Ruggs doesn't have to slow down it's that simple.

40 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

I've got to disagree on a couple points here.

No. 1 we cant even see the ball in flight so we can't comment on its trajectory realistically and to say that a pass that hits a receiver on both hands like that over that distance is poorly thrown is festidious in the extreme.

No.2 If the ball has a lower trajectory there is a very good chance the defender gets in the way more, he raises his arm up as it is and with a lower trajectory the receiver is less sighted of the ball aswell, I dont think that makes the catch easier or more likely.

I would agree that the ball in a perfect world could have been thrown slightly longer, not lower trajectory but longer, but to me the QB has given the WR a great chance to make a play and he hasn't this particular time. That is not to say I'm picking on Ruggs as he's looked good all camp but this one is on him.

I've made no secret of the fact I like Carr and think he is a good QB with some clear faults but it seems lots of guys want to try and find any little fault with him whilst being much more forgiving with others. I mean, no one else even mentioned Ruggs got both hands on the ball, the only take was Carr throwing an interception! 

18 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

No. 1 we cant even see the ball in flight so we can't comment on its trajectory realistically and to say that a pass that hits a receiver on both hands like that over that distance is poorly thrown is festidious in the extreme.

No.2 If the ball has a lower trajectory there is a very good chance the defender gets in the way more, he raises his arm up as it is and with a lower trajectory the receiver is less sighted of the ball aswell, I dont think that makes the catch easier or more likely.

I would agree that the ball in a perfect world could have been thrown slightly longer, not lower trajectory but longer, but to me the QB has given the WR a great chance to make a play and he hasn't this particular time. That is not to say I'm picking on Ruggs as he's looked good all camp but this one is on him.

I've made no secret of the fact I like Carr and think he is a good QB with some clear faults but it seems lots of guys want to try and find any little fault with him whilst being much more forgiving with others. I mean, no one else even mentioned Ruggs got both hands on the ball, the only take was Carr throwing an interception! 

1. You can see Ruggs clearly slow down when he took those couple of steps and you only do that if the ball is not thrown the way it is. I don't need to see the ball to know that is was under thrown. You can tell by the WR.

2. I am not saying throw that ball with zip in this situation but you should throw that ball leading the WR to continue to run especially with a WR like Ruggs who has Johnson beat from the get go. 

Let's say this happened in a game Ruggs catches that ball for a 20 yard gain with the exact same throw. But if you lead the WR like Carr should have done and allow Ruggs run under the ball its a TD its a 50 plus yard play that ends in a TD. Those are the difference from a nice play that can get you into FG range or a first down and from a TD. Makes all the difference at the end of the game those are throws that have to be made. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I've made no secret of the fact I like Carr and think he is a good QB with some clear faults but it seems lots of guys want to try and find any little fault with him whilst being much more forgiving with others. I mean, no one else even mentioned Ruggs got both hands on the ball, the only take was Carr throwing an interception! 

Somebody actually did.

13 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

1. You can see Ruggs clearly slow down when he took those couple of steps and you only do that if the ball is not thrown the way it is. I don't need to see the ball to know that is was under thrown. You can tell by the WR.

2. I am not saying throw that ball with zip in this situation but you should throw that ball leading the WR to continue to run especially with a WR like Ruggs who has Johnson beat from the get go. 

Let's say this happened in a game Ruggs catches that ball for a 20 yard gain with the exact same throw. But if you lead the WR like Carr should have done and allow Ruggs run under the ball its a TD its a 50 plus yard play that ends in a TD. Those are the difference from a nice play that can get you into FG range or a first down and from a TD. Makes all the difference at the end of the game those are throws that have to be made. 

It's not even funny how many times Cooper would have to stop and high jump Carr's deep balls.

guys stop, the throw wasn't perfect but plenty good. if u get both hands on it, you have to grab it. plain and simple. even the best QBs don't make every throw perfect. so stop it.

Carr's deep balls to ruggs will improve and has to. but let's not act like he had to stop turn back to ball. he slowed down a little

• Like 1

I criticize Ruggs and I criticize Carr. I aint picking sides here and im not here to just crap on Carr, but given your WR an opportunity is not good enough when the correct throw ends in a TD. I seen that deep throw from Carr to many times over the years. Needs to be better. It's that simple. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

I understand your point I just think you're overestimating the separation. Ruggs slows maybe two strides at most and the CB has recovered really well. A perfect pass and Ruggs may have gotten away but the CB is probably close enough to still tackle him in my opinion. I think the QB did a fine job putting the ball right there, the CB did a fine job recovering and making a play, Ruggs did a good job initially but blows the play. He's a rookie so he earns some slack but in game time he simply has to make those IMHO. I don't blame Carr for the interception, I guess others feel differently 😀

Speaking of over analyzing one play in practice with an incredibly narrow scope of reference:

I thought Mark Davis drafted Ruggs because he was so impressed by his tackling (specifically that INT Near the goal line where he ran down the CB)...

where’s the hustle and speed by Ruggs to tackle or 2 hand touch, since it’s practice, Johnson during his return?  I mean seriously what a poor lack of effort!

(of course this is pure mockery and sarcasm)

13 hours ago, Darbsk said:

No, not buying that sorry. The CB got separated early but recovered nicely and had closed the gap, the only way Ruggs has an unimpeded shot at that ball is if he has to lay out in front for it making it a much tougher catch. The ball placement is fine and Ruggs gets two hands to it, I wouldn't ask more of the QB there he did his job to give the WR a great chance.

Not to mention the during the play The QB could be simulating a Safety is over the top and the window to place the ball isn’t infinitely deep.  In a game scenario there’s almost always a S over the top (and especially will be one for a speedster like Ruggs) so the ball must be placed outside of the range of the S heading over in support.  

Do I have proof of this absolutely not.... it’s just my hunch.