2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

3 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Watching the games this weekend its like if Sam just cut out the stupid things on the field and didn't beat us himself and we improved other areas of the team maybe we'd take a step. 

Goff won with 1 thumb, Baker simply handed the ball off or threw to the open man, whoever WFT had looked pretty good as well.

Tell Sam, dont throw picks, take your check down and 2 or 3 times a game make a throw that makes us say "wow you actually are a pretty decent quarterback" and build up the rest of the team.

Sam was making the same mistakes he made in college.  Sam stuff you saw in his rookie year that you say, oh he’s a rookie he’ll learn and fix that, he hasn’t. You obviously can’t just tell him to not throw picks.  He can’t process well enough. I was a Darnold fan, I don’t hate the kid but he’s done here

10 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

Sam was making the same mistakes he made in college.  Sam stuff you saw in his rookie year that you say, oh he’s a rookie he’ll learn and fix that, he hasn’t. You obviously can’t just tell him to not throw picks.  He can’t process well enough. I was a Darnold fan, I don’t hate the kid but he’s done here

I know, if we get a pretty good pick(s) for him it would ease my mind it terms of being able to allocate resources to be a complete team.

21 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

At least one back is going first round, two depending on when the first one goes. 

I don’t see how Etienne goes before Harris. That’s just from the eye test. I’m not big on 1st round RBs. But I am big one 2nd round ones. So I’d be happy with either at 34.

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Watching the games this weekend its like if Sam just cut out the stupid things on the field and didn't beat us himself and we improved other areas of the team maybe we'd take a step. 

Goff won with 1 thumb, Baker simply handed the ball off or threw to the open man, whoever WFT had looked pretty good as well.

Tell Sam, dont throw picks, take your check down and 2 or 3 times a game make a throw that makes us say "wow you actually are a pretty decent quarterback" and build up the rest of the team.

Dood, I think that argument goes the other way too. 

We had Heineke looking better than Sam ever did - I hope he finds success somewhere but he is so bad

41 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

It's about pieces though. And I know you mentioned that. But it has to be out there. Darnold doesn't have the OL, RB game and for sure the receiving weapons LA does. So its speculation that Darnold would look better with better pieces around him. Logically you'd have to think so. But that doesn't mean that puts him at a franchise QB level. And with 3 years under his belt he should have already started progressing to that. Not regressing. You also have to account for what else in place for teams. You guys brought up LA so that's why I'm staying with them. But when you have an elite D and don't need to score 30 points a game to win, that helps as well. We should know this from our BtB AFCCG seasons.

Fact is is we need help BIG TIME on offense no matter who's at QB, no matter whos the HC, no matter who the OC is. Play calling, decisions making, protection and weapons all need to be upgraded in a big way. We've fielded a HS offense for 20 years now. Its time to change things. I'd rather have us lose next year giving up 35 points but scoring 30, than hoping to win low scoring games. We can address defense once the offense is set. Prioritize the offensive side of the ball, bc the NFL sure as heck caters to it. So play by their rules.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It's about pieces though. And I know you mentioned that. But it has to be out there. Darnold doesn't have the OL, RB game and for sure the receiving weapons LA does. So its speculation that Darnold would look better with better pieces around him. Logically you'd have to think so. But that doesn't mean that puts him at a franchise QB level. And with 3 years under his belt he should have already started progressing to that. Not regressing. You also have to account for what else in place for teams. You guys brought up LA so that's why I'm staying with them. But when you have an elite D and don't need to score 30 points a game to win, that helps as well. We should know this from our BtB AFCCG seasons.

Fact is is we need help BIG TIME on offense no matter who's at QB, no matter whos the HC, no matter who the OC is. Play calling, decisions making, protection and weapons all need to be upgraded in a big way. We've fielded a HS offense for 20 years now. Its time to change things. I'd rather have us lose next year giving up 35 points but scoring 30, than hoping to win low scoring games. We can address defense once the offense is set. Prioritize the offensive side of the ball, bc the NFL sure as heck caters to it. So play by their rules.

First things first with Darnold is any fan base, ours or his next, shedding him of the franchise QB expectations. He needs to just be good and do more to help his team win rather than lose. He does that everything around him looks better. The natural progression of this team will begin taking place. Douglas has shown he'll invest in the OL heavily and he obviously needs to do more with the skill positions players in the league and coming out of college than any other group in the league he just has to invest.

1 hour ago, Bianconero said:

I wonder if we sign Thuney if we'd be interested in Gabe Davis @ 23 for RG

Im in the minority where I like Elflein. So if we can add Thuney or Scherff (both teams they FAs from have money to resign them). I'm happy with Elf as the other OG

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Im in the minority where I like Elflein. So if we can add Thuney or Scherff (both teams they FAs from have money to resign them). I'm happy with Elf as the other OG

This also kind of depends on how Cameron Clark is developing.