2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The more I think about it.. I'd love for us to go QB at 1. Edge with SEA 1st (OG if we cant get 1 in FA and retain Elf) and RB or WR with our 2nd (depending on what we address in FA)

I would add CB and remove RB, but I would  not cry with any good FB player.  For me, the draft is Lawrence, then any talented players. We need so much except iDL. It will be hard to screw up the early picks with respect to position.

For EDGE, I think it is a fairly deep class. Jones, Paye, Basham, Rousseau, Roche, etc. But Jones has the prototypical size and has steady back to back years of sacks and TFL. All those guys and a few others will be selected day one of two. The combine will help sort that out (assuming there is one). Looking forward to bringing back the Waldo Formula. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I would add CB and remove RB, but I would  not cry with any good FB player.  For me, the draft is Lawrence, then any talented players. We need so much except iDL. It will be hard to screw up the early picks with respect to position.

For EDGE, I think it is a fairly deep class. Jones, Paye, Basham, Rousseau, Roche, etc. But Jones has the prototypical size and has steady back to back years of sacks and TFL. All those guys and a few others will be selected day one of two. The combine will help sort that out (assuming there is one). Looking forward to bringing back the Waldo Formula. 

The thing with edge and WR is, is that we will have good options to go after in FA. So it’s hard to say they’re a need. I mean if we can land a top FA WR then we don’t need one incredibly early in the draft. We only resign a guy like Perriman... then it needs to be addressed with the SEA 1st or our 2nd.

Same for edge. There’s legit 10+ sack guys that will be FAs. We get one of them. Then we don’t need one incredibly early. Grab a guy in the mid rounds. 

With 90mill to spend and 1/3 the league not able to sign anyone. We have a good shot at some of these big name guys. It would be great to address some needs in FA to go more just pure talent (while also thinking of need) in the draft.

28 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What could we get trading Jamison Crowder? I don't think much because there are FAs available but I don't think he's here long term and that would open up both 1st round WR and big ticket WR.

I did this in a mock. And had us signing JuJu who is best in the slot but can play anywhere. It would have us upgrading if you ask me as well as getting a guy thats 3.5yrs younger as well.

And then yes by all means still upgrade from Perriman on the outside spot perhaps in the draft. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I did this in a mock. And had us signing JuJu who is best in the slot but can play anywhere. It would have us upgrading if you ask me as well as getting a guy thats 3.5yrs younger as well.

And then yes by all means still upgrade from Perriman on the outside spot perhaps in the draft. 

I would not mind swapping Crowder for a pick and JuJu then grabbing DeVonta Smith.  I'd rather have FA and 1st round WR than Crowder and FA/1st round.  Good talent in this draft and we have a late first and early second to snag one.

4 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I would not mind swapping Crowder for a pick and JuJu then grabbing DeVonta Smith.  I'd rather have FA and 1st round WR than Crowder and FA/1st round.  Good talent in this draft and we have a late first and early second to snag one.

I'd love to see us trade up and get Smith in that teen range. It will be pricey. But we should have the ammo to do it. Imagine having TLaw and having him throw to Smith and Mims for 10 years? Throw JuJU on top of that for 7 years... sign me up.

Just don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

What could we get trading Jamison Crowder? I don't think much because there are FAs available but I don't think he's here long term and that would open up both 1st round WR and big ticket WR.

I was thinking about this as well. Maybe a 3rd. Curious to see what others think.

If we do trade him, I’d like us to get a bigger slot WR. Juju or even trade for Michael Thomas if he becomes available due to cap reasons.

Edited by SDotNova

Thomas is an X or Z Wr, not slot. JuJu plays the slot a lot and would maybe be an upgrade over Crowder. But why dump one of our few productive players and create another hole that needs to be filled?  If you want to replace him with JuJu at a similar cap hit, great. But I think JuJu is going to want more than $10M. 

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

Nothing we are all not aware of but interesting read anyway. I do not agree with the ILB as being a need. Mosley, Hewitt and Langi are fine for next year. https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2020/12/14/ny-jets-five-important-positions-they-should-focus-offseason/6508856002/

Hewitt and Langi shouldn’t be on the field as much as they are for us if we want to be good on defense. Mosley, we don’t know what he’s going to look like after two years off but he plays with enough range to help. The other two do not. 

26 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Hewitt and Langi shouldn’t be on the field as much as they are for us if we want to be good on defense. Mosley, we don’t know what he’s going to look like after two years off but he plays with enough range to help. The other two do not. 

The point is, I do not see ILB has a top 5 position need. Hewitt and Langi are nothing overly special but when I watch them play, they would be average starters on another team. No need to address the position with a top FA or high draft pick. The FA market would not offer a big upgrade on those two and a mid round draft pick probably would not even play.  We can also bring back Onwuasur and see how he does.

Now, if Mosley plays like he has been off for two years and/or his heart is not in it, then we would need to make that a priority in 2022.  Like RB (unless we can get Jarrett Patterson in the third or fourth), we can wait on this position and address it properly in the near future. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Nothing we are all not aware of but interesting read anyway. I do not agree with the ILB as being a need. Mosley, Hewitt and Langi are fine for next year. https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/nfl/jets/2020/12/14/ny-jets-five-important-positions-they-should-focus-offseason/6508856002/

Included qb, ILB is 6th most pressing needs.  That is a middle of something.   Also, Langi and Mosley are closer to 30 years old next season.   I am not upset by that.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Thomas is an X or Z Wr, not slot. JuJu plays the slot a lot and would maybe be an upgrade over Crowder. But why dump one of our few productive players and create another hole that needs to be filled?  If you want to replace him with JuJu at a similar cap hit, great. But I think JuJu is going to want more than $10M. 

I understand Big Ben's Y spot is more difficult to handle. This Y spot requires a mix of Flex TE and outside Z traits. That is not the same as a normal slot WR where Crowder has been demonstrating.