Multiplying the Multiplicity of Mister Zimmer's Multiple Defense

RpMc

7 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Having someone called Fields as the 3rd corner and still shutting a team down is no easy feat. 

The bears offense is really bad though

Fields isn’t even the third corner. It’s Chris Jones right now. 

The defensive performance last night (yes, the Bears do have a terrible offense...in fact, it's not even terrible in execution, it's terrible in scheme and design) is why Zimmer is here.  Like I heard Leber say last night in the post-game show, imagine what the defense will look like next year with Hunter, Barr, and Pierce back.  

Edited by swede700

54 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The defensive performance last night (yes, the Bears do have a terrible offense...in fact, it's not even terrible in execution, it's terrible in scheme and design) is why Zimmer is here.  Like I heard Leber say last night in the post-game show, imagine what the defense will look like next year with Hunter, Barr, and Pierce back.  

And a lot of players in their second and third years

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And Hill and Hughes. 

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

They might be the 4th and 5th CB by next year

Can’t imagine they’d hang onto Hughes. Just isn’t reliable. Dantzler and Gladney are locked into two of the three spots. Hill and Boyd likely keep the 4th and 5th spots unless Fields and Jones shine. They are throwing a lot of young bodies out there this year and that is good for the future. 

Id still look to grab a CB in round one if a good shutdown caliber type falls to the mid to late first round. Not sure Gladney or Dantzler will develop into a Rhodes type at his peak type. And the defense really needs that, in addition to a DT.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Can’t imagine they’d hang onto Hughes. Just isn’t reliable. Dantzler and Gladney are locked into two of the three spots. Hill and Boyd likely keep the 4th and 5th spots unless Fields and Jones shine. They are throwing a lot of young bodies out there this year and that is good for the future. 

Id still look to grab a CB in round one if a good shutdown caliber type falls to the mid to late first round. Not sure Gladney or Dantzler will develop into a Rhodes type at his peak type. And the defense really needs that, in addition to a DT.

I'd be surprised if they let him go before his contract is up unless he gets outplayed in preseason or isn't healthy

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

I'd be surprised if they let him go before his contract is up unless he gets outplayed in preseason or isn't healthy

Hughes will be here in 2021...certainly, it's almost guaranteed that his 5th year option will not be picked up, so he'll only have one more chance.  

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Hughes will be here in 2021...certainly, it's almost guaranteed that his 5th year option will not be picked up, so he'll only have one more chance.  

I don’t think it’s a sure thing. Especially if these young CBs impress down the stretch. Maybe Hughes would make it over Hill, but if either fall all the way down to #5 on the depth chart, why not cut ties (I’d assume maybe a trade) to keep other young CBs who don’t have expiring contracts like Fields, Jones or Boyd. Just seems there’s limited upside in having a first round bust as your 5th CB. But maybe Hill is more on the bubble than Hughes. 

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t think it’s a sure thing. Especially if these young CBs impress down the stretch. Maybe Hughes would make it over Hill, but if either fall all the way down to #5 on the depth chart, why not cut ties (I’d assume maybe a trade) to keep other young CBs who don’t have expiring contracts like Fields, Jones or Boyd. Just seems there’s limited upside in having a first round bust as your 5th CB. But maybe Hill is more on the bubble than Hughes. 

I think it's possible that they trade Hughes, because due to his talent, he may still bring some draft pick value (albeit late round) even with his injury history.  I personally think trading him is far more likely than just outright cutting him.