Multiplying the Multiplicity of Mister Zimmer's Multiple Defense

RpMc

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

That's why they desperately need Hunter back next year.  

Does anybody know or heard rumors as to how Hunter's doing rehabbing and recovering from injury?

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Does anybody know or heard rumors as to how Hunter's doing rehabbing and recovering from injury?

I haven't heard anything yet or seen anyone provide any updates.  I only hope that it's not a Sharrif Floyd type situation, but the last thing I ever heard was that the surgery went well...unlike what happened in Floyd's case. 

15 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

What's the cap casualty on Anthony Barr if cut before the 3rd day of the 2021 league year? Over The Cap seems to suggest it is zero, in which case I can't make a good case for bringing Barr back. The move would be to extend Wilson for less.

Cutting Barr would carry $7.8M in dead money, and give the Vikings $7.2M in cap savings. 

Cutting Barr to re-sign Wilson likely doesn’t save anything.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Cutting Barr would carry $7.8M in dead money, and give the Vikings $7.2M in cap savings. 

Agreed.  In all likelihood, they'd actually be spending more cap space to do so.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

True. Another option is to designate him a post 6/1 cut. That changes the dead money and cap savings to $2.6M and ~$12.5M respectively.

With that being said I cannot remember what the downside to the post 6/1 cut is.

28 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

True. Another option is to designate him a post 6/1 cut. That changes the dead money and cap savings to $2.6M and ~$12.5M respectively.

With that being said I cannot remember what the downside to the post 6/1 cut is.

The downside is that they'd be carrying a cap cost for him into 2022 as well.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, swede700 said:

Agreed.  In all likelihood, they'd actually be spending more cap space to do so.

I have my doubts that WIlson's 2021 cap charge plus the $600k net space loss of cutting Barr would be more than Barr's 2021 cap charge, which on his current contract me know to be over $15M.

Wilson has looked like he belongs as a starter in the league, but he doesn't look like the level of starter Barr has been. If I was to guess I wouldn't guess Wilson getting over $8M per year. Like all contracts, the first year of that would have the smallest cap charge since most of his money would be in the form of a signing bonus. Wilson might only be $5M - $6M against the cap next year.

If Wilson signed a contract like that the team can consider signing him and cutting Barr to save some money. From what I have seen, Barr is the better player so I don't think they would do that unless cap constraints made saving a few million more valuable than keeping Barr.

This team needs to bring in some new blood on defense, and, likely, and actual defensive coordinator. 

Patterson can go back to the defensive line, and Adam Zimmer back to LBs, but the co-DC experiment needs to end when this season does. 

you cannot have a year like this that leads to zero change. If big ones aren’t coming, small ones have to. 

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This team needs to bring in some new blood on defense, and, likely, and actual defensive coordinator. 

Patterson can go back to the defensive line, and Adam Zimmer back to LBs, but the co-DC experiment needs to end when this season does. 

you cannot have a year like this that leads to zero change. If big ones aren’t coming, small ones have to. 

George Edwards might be available, lol

I’d love for Zimmer to bring in a DC, maybe Paul Guenther? Or Dan Quinn.

Edited by SemperFeist

I think Paul Guenther really irked Zimmer a few years ago when he didn't come to Minnesota when the opportunity presented itself (I'm not sure if that was back in 2014 when he stayed in Cincinnati or when he went to the Raiders). 

I could be wrong but I thought this came up with an interview surrounding Zimmer and his staff.