Multiplying the Multiplicity of Mister Zimmer's Multiple Defense

RpMc

I agree there has to be some changes after this and I believe it will be Patterson getting demoted. His unit had the  least amount improvement during the season. Secondary while not great they were improving and LB's are the strongest unit on defense. 

Shamar, Jaleel and Harris must go- Harris outside the Saints game hasn't been bad but he did prove Zim's point about Safety value in his defense. Shamar doesn't really do anything great and Jaleel never develop.

Hunter and Pierce will be back so DL will be better by default. Still they need a true pass rusher at either 3T or DE. Doubt they can get both but prefer 3T over DE. Haven't lost hope in Ifeadi but he's not your primary sack guy.

Please find another low cost NT. The fact they didn't try to find someone even though they was getting gash up the middle all season was pure idiotic. No telling what type of shape Pierce will be in and need a true backup NT 

LBs really strong. I don't believe Barr will be cut and Vikings would choose him over Wilson. Hopefully Barr restructures. Dye will replace Wilson if need be but Dye has to get stronger.

CB's really grown over the year and I'm excited to seen them next year with a pass rush in front of them. Safety play next to Smith has me scared  because Harris will be gone.      

4 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

So, what comp pick will we likely get for Wilson?

If Wilson does sign a $9-$10M AAV contract, I would think that it would be good enough to net a 4th round comp pick in 2022. 

I’d guess that Wilson will be looking for a deal similar to Blake Martinez’s from last year. 

Edited by SemperFeist

42 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

If Wilson does sign a $9-$10M AAV contract, I would think that it would be good enough to net a 4th round comp pick in 2022. 

I’d guess that Wilson will be looking for a deal similar to Blake Martinez’s from last year. 

Wow, that just doesn't seem like much, I was hoping for a 3rd lol.

On 12/26/2020 at 6:47 PM, RpMc said:

This team needs to bring in some new blood on defense, and, likely, and actual defensive coordinator. 

Patterson can go back to the defensive line, and Adam Zimmer back to LBs, but the co-DC experiment needs to end when this season does. 

you cannot have a year like this that leads to zero change. If big ones aren’t coming, small ones have to. 

The co-DC experiment didn't miss tackles left and right.  There were people out there that had no business being on the field and I can't blame the co-DC's for that.  If they do decide to go with the 1 DC though, it'll be Patterson that retains it, because while the pass rush sucked, I believe that was more due to the lack of physical talent than actual coaching, since 3 of the 4 starting DL should be primarily backups and not starters.  

22 hours ago, perrynoid said:

Wow, that just doesn't seem like much, I was hoping for a 3rd lol.

I think he'd have to sign as a top-end starter to get a 3rd.  I'd be happy with a 4th.  There's no way I'm cutting Barr for Wilson.  Without Kendricks by his side, his physical deficiencies as compared to Barr were clearly evident.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

No DC is going to be as good as him at calling a defense.

I strongly disagree with that. Zimmer isn’t a savant. 

But Zimmer needs to start focusing more on the game. His game management and clock management are awful, and something he’s failed to improve on since he started.

29 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I strongly disagree with that. Zimmer isn’t a savant. 

But Zimmer needs to start focusing more on the game. His game management and clock management are awful, and something he’s failed to improve on since he started.

He can just hire someone to help him at it.  If he has a failure it's that, he doesn't need to actually be better at it himself, but he needs to be able to rely on someone to help him do it, just as Andy Reid has finally done in KC, as he is about as bad at game/clock management as Zimmer is.  

You can strongly disagree, but he is about as close to a defensive savant as you'll find.  I want him calling plays on defense.    

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

The co-DC experiment didn't miss tackles left and right.  There were people out there that had no business being on the field and I can't blame the co-DC's for that.  If they do decide to go with the 1 DC though, it'll be Patterson that retains it, because while the pass rush sucked, I believe that was more due to the lack of physical talent than actual coaching, since 3 of the 4 starting DL should be primarily backups and not starters.  

I can easily place some of the blame there. You’ve got two coaches who are typically working fundamentals with position groups who no longer aren’t as a primary focus. Coordinators spend far much more time installing the game plan than working fundies, and it’s very easy to bring game planning into individual sessions when it’s something that you’ve spent a lot of time working on. I’ve been there. Both coaches are better suited to stay as position coaches, especially when neither is responsible for calling plays. 

Now, some of the blame also likely has to do with practice scripting due to Covid (contact limited even more than normal) and the talent level of the players, but given the youth we have/are going to have, it makes much more sense to bring in a designated coordinator, and have Patterson and Adam go back to where they’ve been successful. Bringing in a designated coordinator also has the added benefit of bringing in some outside ideas.

Again, after this season, changes need to be made on that side of the ball. Some will come via on-field personnel, but schematic and tactical changes need to be made as well to better suit the players we do have. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Again, after this season, changes need to be made on that side of the ball. Some will come via on-field personnel, but schematic and tactical changes need to be made as well to better suit the players we do have. 

you talk like a coach kind of guy who understands this kind of stuff....