Post-draft leaks

paul-mac

17 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Well, what we do know for sure is that it was somewhere between 28-55, haha, but the way he made it sound sounded like it was def in the 30s or 40s 

That just seems kind of strange still to the point im not sure I believe it. Like there probably is some bias already built into the board because of the fact its not a need and the fact the position he plays is one of the lesser ones in the whole league. Its not obvious smoke like Pittman being the Colts #1 WR but its interesting, but hey I'm bored and its fun to speculate. 

18 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

That just seems kind of strange still to the point im not sure I believe it. Like there probably is some bias already built into the board because of the fact its not a need and the fact the position he plays is one of the lesser ones in the whole league. Its not obvious smoke like Pittman being the Colts #1 WR but its interesting, but hey I'm bored and its fun to speculate. 

I'm not going to pretend to know how the Ravens set up their board, but it's fair to point out that a lot of prospects will receive higher grades than perhaps their positional value dictates them being taken. Dobbins could theoretically be their 38th overall player, but that doesn't mean that they would've taken him at 38 if their board fell together perfectly or that he was even their top rated RB (for all we know they had CEH/Swift/Taylor all ranked in the late 20s). 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Didn't necessarily have to be 28 or higher, IIRC DeCosta said they had a top 20 grade on Queen so the only thing we'd have to know for sure on Dobbins is that they had him lower than Queen, but possibly still a top 20-30 player in the draft. Seems like they had a 1st round grade on Dobbins so very possible it was a bit higher than 30's or 40's. 

From the lounge podcast video the website had the other day Eric said Queen was in the clump of guys he had studied/anticipated that would fall to them that he had rated in the 20-25 range so I’d assume they probably had Queen in the early 20s...so i guess technically it’s possible they had dobbins higher than 30 but i’d imagine he was in the 30s if i had to guess

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

From the lounge podcast video the website had the other day Eric said Queen was in the clump of guys he had studied/anticipated that would fall to them that he had rated in the 20-25 range so I’d assume they probably had Queen in the early 20s...so i guess technically it’s possible they had dobbins higher than 30 but i’d imagine he was in the 30s if i had to guess

DeCosta said in the post draft presser he expected Dobbins to GO between picks 25-30. I'm guessing he ID'd Miami.

Getting the 28th player on your board at 28 and the 55th at pick 55 would be a near impossible worst case scenario. That would mean teams have the same board. Teams usually only draft from a board of 100-150 players for all 7 rounds so a lot of guys are dropped from each team's board.

So, I do believe they had Dobbins top 30 on their board, based on everything they've said about it, and how much more they've talked about that pick in regards to value than any of the others.

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

DeCosta said in the post draft presser he expected Dobbins to GO between picks 25-30. I'm guessing he ID'd Miami.

Getting the 28th player on your board at 28 and the 55th at pick 55 would be a near impossible worst case scenario. That would mean teams have the same board. Teams usually only draft from a board of 100-150 players for all 7 rounds so a lot of guys are dropped from each team's board.

So, I do believe they had Dobbins top 30 on their board, based on everything they've said about it, and how much more they've talked about that pick in regards to value than any of the others.

Yeah, I know and agree with everything you’re saying lol...

I’m not suggesting they had Queen as their 28th rated player...don’t know where you got that inclination.As i said, in the video the website put up the other day DeCosta said he had Queen in the group of players he evaluated between 20-25 that he expected to fall to us because teams don’t have the same board and we would almost assuredly get one of those guys at 28.

We have no idea where they had Dobbins rated but it’s pretty clear they had him a good bit above where they got him...I said i would assume it was in the 30s but if you want to split hairs and say top 30 go ahead lol but it’s really just guess work and not a big difference between what we’re saying

41 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not sure why it's fishy. We have a pretty strong history of drafting with a BPA approach, and we obviously were high on Dobbins if we drafted him. Why would we not have a high grade on a guy we picked because we saw him as a value pick? 

Now, whether he actually is a Top 30 player in the draft or good value - that's obviously up for debate, and only time will tell as to whether they were right. But there's no reason to think the Ravens would be lying about having him with a high grade - if they hadn't, they just wouldn't have drafted him. 

23 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

I tend to agree with you but, at the same time, I don't think it's out of the question that some of these FO's have guys they circle as "late round gems". I'm sure it was known far and wide that DPJ wasn't a particularly great prospect and probably wasn't going to be taken before round 5 at the earliest. I loved Quintez Cephus, but I wouldn't have wanted my team to take him before the 6th round. 

The Patriots circle all of their favorite prospects and don't consider or care for where they're supposed to be drafted. It doesn't work for them either, shocker!

On 5/1/2020 at 12:37 PM, scar988 said:

For the Falcons:

1. Atlanta was trying to trade ahead of Oakland for AJ Terrell. They really liked him and Oakland was going to take him had Ruggs not slipped.

2. Marlon Davidson had a 1st round grade for them and they were shocked he was even there. They were trying to trade up to as high as 35 for him and wound up not needing to.

3. The Falcons loved Matt Hennessy and he was the backup option at 47 if Davidson was selected. They see him as a day 1  starter at LG and long-term replacement for Mack

4. Mykal Walker and Jaylinn Hawkins were guys they were expecting to be there in the 5th, but they didn't have a 5th so they just took them in the 4th and called it a day. They were trying to trade down, but were unable to.

7. They cut their punter right before day three because they had multiple punters they liked and Hofrichter was their top rated punter.

Also, this was the first draft in Thomas Dimitroff's history with the Falcons that he couldn't get a trade done. One trade offer he wanted to get but never got would have been a 4-for-1 package with Minnesota so that he could restock the 5th and 6th rounds with a pick and add a couple of 7ths to the punter they took.

1., 2., 3., 4., ...7.?

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, SaveOurSonics said:

I would seriously question Reich's scouting ability in that case. I'm not sure what argument Pittman has as even a top 4 WR in this class. 

Surely not the worst though since Pittman is a great fit with Philip Rivers who has always had tall, athletic receivers to huck passes to deep downfield.

23 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Only noteworthy things coming out of Seattle are that we had a trade in place with Green Bay to trade down from #27 and acquire their 4th rounder (and what I assume to be another late pick) but Miami came in last minute and low-balled our offer for just a 4th. Per reports, John Schneider did not react the same way Bill O'Brien did. 

Apparently we were actually targeting Darrell Taylor had we traded down into the early 2nd round (assuming Jordyn Brooks would've been gone by then). We instead traded up from the late to mid 2nd round (which we never do) when we saw Taylor continue to fall. 

Finally, Pete wasn't asked about this specific player but mentioned in his radio interview that they "couldn't believe Alton Robinson was still around in the 5th round" and that he's really excited about him. 

Nothing too juicy. 

Seattle had a great, underrated draft.