Your Packers Final Roster Predictions - 2020 Edition

Chili

2 hours ago, Beast said:

1. MAdams (If they're going to run a 3 DL base, then they need a 5th DL for depth).
  2. Jackson or Hollman (Teams keep 6 CBs for depth and ST and development)
  3. TWilliams or Garvin (If they're going to run 3 OLB packages, then they need a 5th OLB for depth)
  4. Redmon or VScott (Scott reported has been making.plays and looking good, I think he's on the 53 man team. Redmond makes it mainly for ST, we got lots of TE/RB/LB ST bodies, but whom else do we have for ST gunner?)

Point being, other than Kumerow, Hanson and Redmond, I can't make a good case for another H-Back (and even less so for another RB). And while I think they'd like to keep Lovett, I'm just thinking the odd go the other way.

Though, I really don't know how they feel about Hanson or Ervin as a 5th WR compared to Kumerow... if they're planning a lot of only 2 WR formations, that could hurt Kumerow chances.

I'm not arguing for Dexter or Lovett ahead of these guys.  Or necessarily trying to shrink those position groups.  I just kinda listed some guys on your projected 53 who are vulnerable and could easily be stashed onto PS.

For example, I think Madams is at serious risk.  But *IF* he doesn't make it, he'll probably be replaced by some other DL, whether Hester or Trevilon.

CB, agree teams usually keep promising corners.  I'm just suggesting that they might not 53 Jackson.  Maybe they'll keep 6th corner on PS, or maybe they'll keep D Amos over Jackson, beats me.  (The media reports from yesterday were at times almost laughing about Jackson getting beat.  "Long play, beats Jackson".  "Jackson tries to come under and break up pass, fails, guy makes catch and runs free for 30 more yards."  "Long play for XYZ....  Guess who was covering?  Yup, it's Jackson again", almost as if big plays and Jackson in coverage are kind of married together.). 

Also possible that they'll keep your number of OLB, but Tipea will take a spot instead of Williams or Garvin.  Beats me.  

I'm not faulting your list or your logic, both are excellent.  Just guessing that there may be some uncertainty within position groups and at the back of the roster, and that you can flex a lot with position-group size and depth, given guys on PS are one week away in case of injury.  

On 8/31/2020 at 5:59 AM, Brit Pack said:

Agree with your prediction. Good work. Only thing is I still think D.Williams will make the roster. Too high a draft pick and also potential loss of both Jones and the other Williams makes it very tempting to keep him around at the expense of a 5th edge or 5th safety.

Aside from the fact that he was a 6th round pick OVER a year ago, what exactly is tying Dexter Williams to the roster?  We've got Aaron Jones whom the Packers are reportedly trying to extend and drafted AJ Dillon in the second round last year, at best he's offering very minimal in terms of touches on offense and that doesn't even include Jamaal Williams.  Plus, he doesn't offer much in the way of ST value either.  He's a pretty safe cut IMO.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 1:07 PM, CWood21 said:

Aside from the fact that he was a 6th round pick OVER a year ago, what exactly is tying Dexter Williams to the roster?  We've got Aaron Jones whom the Packers are reportedly trying to extend and drafted AJ Dillon in the second round last year, at best he's offering very minimal in terms of touches on offense and that doesn't even include Jamaal Williams.  Plus, he doesn't offer much in the way of ST value either.  He's a pretty safe cut IMO.

Exactly. He had an opportunity of a lifetime to come in as the RB3 behind Jones and Williams and couldn't beat out Tra Carson....ew...

• Like 1

With the injuries it will be interesting to see if that changes anything, such as feeling they have to keep OT Light now.

Or if they might be interested in Veldheer, later on. Or Tramon Williams if the CBs aren't ready enough to go.

Also do they want to keep 4 healthy ILB in the roster, which might be hard now.

And if they're going to IR Martin, who do they release, hoping to resign after he gets to the IR.

My final update to my 53 roster prediction. 

I'm also basing my 53 on the assumption these following guys remain unavailable:  PUP: Bolton NFI: Stepaniak, P'Taylor

QB: Rodgers | Boyle | Love [3]
FB/HB: Deguara | Lovett [2]
RB: A'Jones | AJ Dillion | J'Williams | Ervin [4]
TE: Sternberger | Tonyan | Lewis [3]
WR: Adams |  Lazard | EQ | MVS | M'Turner [5]
OL: Bakthari | Jenkins | Linsley | B'Turner | Wagner | Runyan | L'Taylor | Patrick | Nijman [9]

DL: Clark | Lowry Keke | Lancaster | Hester [5]
OLB: Z'Smith | P'Smith | Gary | Galeai | Garvin [5]
ILB: Kirksey | Martin | Summers [3]
CB: 
King | Alexander | Sullivan | Hollman | Jackson | Samuels [6]
SS: Amos | Greene [2]
FS: Savage | V'Scott | Redmond [3]

ST: Crosby | JK Scott | Bradley [3]

TOTAL: Offence [26] | Defence [24] | ST [3] = 53

We had a squad scrimmage on the 30th and because of the lack of preseason games it would've been vital for us to determine the makeup of the roster. EQ, Greene, Burks, Hester, Ramsey, Adams all missed out on the scrimmage. Ento is injured and likely to get cut, I had him as the last corner to make the roster but because of the injury I think Samuels will now make the roster.

If we want to IR somebody they have to remain on the final 53 before we can place them on the list. So Turner, Martin and Greene are candidates. Greene has missed the last 5 practices so I dunno what's up with him.

I believe the IR rules is still the same, players on IR cannot be activated until after the team has played 8 games and we can only designate a maximum three players eligible to return. We don't want to use all three right away as we want to save some for our star players should they pick up a non-season ending injury. I think we will definitely use one on Kamal Martin.

Covid-IR is different. Players have to spend 3 weeks before they're allowed to return provided they don't test positive obviously.

I'm not convinced Burks has done enough to remain on the roster, getting injured before the scrimmage didn't do him any favours. By all accounts Summers has been much more impactful and with Martin's injury I anticipate Summers making the roster. Worse case scenario we can slide Galeai over to ILB which is why I can see him making the roster. If Martin is put on IR then I can see Burks added back onto the roster should he makes it through waivers.

At OLB the first 3 pick themselves. Originally I had Scott but it sounds like Garvin has pulled away and should latch on the roster as a developmental prospect. Tim Williams by all accounts had a decent camp but not enough for us to look past his age (26) compared to Garvin (21). Garvin is also bigger and is a draft pick. Galeai has shown up in training camp and he provides speed around the edge nicely complimenting the big powerful pass rushers we have. Because he's so light he should be a viable backup at ILB as well as playing a major part on special teams. Ramsey getting injured may have nudged Galeai ahead of the pecking order. Bad timing for him.

I think the final DL spot will be between Hester and Adams. I think Hester will get the nod as Adams has enough opportunities. Previlon is an absolute dark horse with a decent shot at making the roster if we're unhappy with our depth options. I think I remember reading somewhere that he managed to beat Jenkins in a 1x1 which made me perk up, but of course that alone isn't enough for him to make the roster.

Safety is easy enough to call. Redmond survives another roster cut down with his versatility and ST prowess as a gunner.

I'm being extra violent on our WR group this year by keeping just 5. This is a group that Gute clearly is not happy with. No point in keeping players whom we are lukewarm on taking up vital roster spots and with LaFleur running more 2 WR sets there's no need to keep as many WRs as we have done in the past. EQ, Kumerow and Shepherd are all competing for the slot, Shepherd is not needed because of Ervin, I think EQ age and upside might be worth persevering ahead of Kumerow's rapport with Rodgers. Turner makes the roster as a gunner.

I think TE is set with Deguara being interchangeable as a 4th TE and fullback. I think Lovett would provide ST depth and backup fullback so LaFleur can continue with his system should Deguara get injured. Having fewer WRs would enable us to do this. On ST we need to stock up on FB/TE/ILB body types and since we have so few TE and ILB on the final 53 this is where Lovett can sneak onto the roster.

At OL I see us keeping 9. The players pretty much pick themselves leaving a question mark over the last roster spot. Do we keep the known commodity in Light or shall we risk it with Nijman's enormous upside? The final roster spot usually goes to a developmental prospect. Anyway I'm still not sure about Hanson, logically he is potentially just 1 year away from becoming our starting centre especially if we don't re-sign Linsley. Honestly cutting him now would be very short sighted. This is where keeping 10 OL is a very real possibility. However keeping Hanson essentially makes him the 4th centre (after Linsley, Patrick and Jenkins) and that seems far too many and something has to give way there. Maybe we cut or trade Patrick? Who knows.

The RB group is predictable. Dexter WIlliams won't make the roster.

Notable cuts that could go either way: Kumerow, Light, M'Adams, Ramsey, T'Williams, Burks, Hanson

List of eligible practice squad players (Rookies in BOLD)

Offence:
Darrius Shepherd, Malik Taylor,  Allen Lazard, Reggie Begelton, Josiah Deguara, John Lovett, Jace Sternberger, Evan Baylis, Jon Ruynan, Cody Conway, Elgton Jenkins, Jake HansonSimon Stepaniak, Yosh Nijman, Zack Johnson, John Leglue, Jordan LoveAJ Dillion, Dexter Williams, Patrick Taylor, Damarea Crockett.

Defence:
Will Sunderland, Kabion Ento, Ka'Dar Hollman, Stanford Samuels, Darnell Savage, Vernon ScottHenry Black, Jonathan GarvinDelontae Scott, Rashan Gary, Tipa Galeai, Randy Ramsey, Greg Roberts, Krys Barnes, Ty Summers, Kamal Martin, Curtis Bolton, Willington Previlon, Kingsley Keke.

Potential candidates for 4 players with 2+ years designation (they have to get past waivers first so we will need to be realistic here):
Tim Boyle, Malik Turner, Alex Light, Robert Tonyan, Josh Jackson, Dashaun Amos, Tim Williams, Oren Burks, Montravious Adams, Tyler Lancaster,  Will Redmond.

If I had to predict the PS it will be: Shepherd, Begelton, M'Taylor, Baylis, Conway, Hanson, D'Wiliams, Sunderland, Black, Ramsey, Barnes, Previlon, Light, T'Williams, Burks, Adams

Edited by Chili

Lets see how I did:

14 hours ago, Chili said:

My final update to my 53 roster prediction. 

I'm also basing my 53 on the assumption these following guys remain unavailable:  PUP: Bolton NFI: Stepaniak, P'Taylor

QB: Rodgers | Boyle | Love [3] [3/3]
FB/HB: Deguara | Lovett [2] [1/2]
RB: A'Jones | AJ Dillion | J'Williams | Ervin [4] [4/4]
TE: Sternberger | Tonyan | Lewis [3] [3/3]
WR: Adams |  Lazard | EQ | MVS | M'Turner [5] [4/5]
OL: Bakthari | Jenkins | Linsley | B'Turner | Wagner | Runyan | L'Taylor | Patrick | Nijman [9] [9/9]

DL: Clark | Lowry Keke | Lancaster | Hester [5] [4/5]
OLB: Z'Smith | P'Smith | Gary | Galeai | Garvin [5] [4/5]
ILB: Kirksey | Martin | Summers [3] [3/3]
CB: King | Alexander | Sullivan | Hollman | Jackson | Samuels [6] [5/6]
SS: Amos | Greene [2] [2/2]
FS: Savage | V'Scott | Redmond [3] [3/3]

ST: Crosby | JK Scott | Bradley [3] [3/3]

I got 48 out of 53 correct. Not bad at all. I did very well getting the number of players for each position group right, only failure was fullback and inside likebacker. My Lovett roster spot went to Burks instead.

7 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Well, I forgot to make an actual list before cuts started happening. I would have had Kumerow on the roster, and would have tried to get Galeai and Samuels on too, if I could swing it.  

I would have had:

Samuels over Ento. 

Hester over M. Adams.

Hanson over Nijman.

Kumerow over Taylor.

Probably Barnes or Galeai over Summers.  Though that spot may have gone to Light, probably depends on how I was feeling at the time.

45 minutes ago, Chili said:

Lets see how I did:

I got 48 out of 53 correct. Not bad at all. I did very well getting the number of players for each position group right, only failure was fullback and inside likebacker. My Lovett roster spot went to Burks instead.

I believe you are 5/5 regarding WR group.

On 5/2/2020 at 5:31 AM, mikemike778 said:

There's always positions that are over-stocked. The new practice squad rules where you can call up 2 players might mean you need less special teamers as you may be able to use practice squad players so you can stash players like Dexter if you want to.  Which they may well want to if they are planning on letting Adams and Jamaal go after this season. 

Probably with you on the OL though. Don't think we need that many depth players. I was thinking drafting the late rounders was in the hope you could get rid of Lane Taylor. Patrick seems to have the role of veteran JAG-y but OK interior line backup. Unless they are going to have Lane be backup Tackle.

They needed someone who could actually snap the ball, thus Patrick made the cut.

On 8/30/2020 at 5:12 PM, Beast said:

Beast's 53 man roster guess, 8/30/2020

Offense

• QB (3) Rodgers, Boyle, Love (3)     
  • RB (3) Jones, Dillon, J Williams (6)
  • WR (6) Adams, Lazard, St. Brown, MVS, Ervin, Kumerow (12)
  • TE (4) Sternberger, Deguara, Lewis, Tonyan (16)
  • OT (3) Bakhtiari, Wagner, Turner (19)  
  • OG (3) Jenkins, Taylor, Runyan (22)
  • OC (3) Linsley, Patrick Hanson (25) 

Defense

• NT (2) Clark, Lancaster (2)   
  • DE (3) Lowry, Keke, Adams (5)   
  • OLB (2) Z Smith, Gary (Large Edge) (7) 
  • OLB (3) P Smith, T Williams, Garvin (10)  
  • ILB  (4) Kirksey, Burks, Martin, Summers (14)
  • CB (6) Alexander, King, Sullivan, Jackson, Hollman, Samuels (20)  
  • SS (3) Amos, Greene, Redmond (23)   
  • FS (2) Savage, V Scott (25)  

Special Teams                   
ST (3) Crosby, JK Scott, Bradley
(3)

My misses

• WR Kumerow (WR Taylor)
  • OC Hanson (OT Nijman)
  • OLB Williams (OLB Ramsey)
  • CB Samuals (CB Ento)

So I got the positions correct (meaning the guys I missed where at the same position that I guessed), which was a bit harder this year as do you count Ervin as a RB or WR? Or Turner as a OG or OT? Will they keep 5 OLBers when they've only been keeping 4 edge rusher with Pettine.

Also I didn't think OT Nijman and CB Ento were healthy enough, in fact I had Ento as my 6th CB until he broke a bone in his foot, though I had him going to the IR before the 53.

Question now is whom fills in the spots of the players whom go to the IR, which I believe might be CB Ento and ILB Martin. OL Turner is also injured, but so far it's been describe as just missing week 1, which wouldn't put someone important on the IR, but if it's worse than that, then possible.

So Samuals might be there by week 1 game (or Tramon Williams), but who fills ILB Martin's spot while he's on IR?