Your Packers Final Roster Predictions - 2020 Edition

Chili

On 7/10/2020 at 4:20 AM, mikemike778 said:

Keeping Dexter Williams on the roster would be a stash basically.

It depends on what they are planning to do with resigning AJ and JW. If they are planning to let them walk and want DW to replace one of them then it makes sense to stash him if he is showing enough. There's always room to stash someone. The new practice squad rules mean you can use some of these guys for ST.

The best thing about RBs is that they're cheap for their production.  If you're keeping Dexter Williams on the roster to "stash" him, then you're wasting a valuable contract year.  This isn't the case like an OL/DL where you're looking for them to work on their technique or develop more strength.  This is about getting the most amount of production while they're incredibly cheap.  Carrying 4 RBs (not including Ervin) isn't a smart way to build a roster IMO.  Aside from the fact that Dexter Williams was a draft pick last year, what exactly qualifies him as valuable?  He was lost in preseason, and it's not like he played well during the regular season.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The best thing about RBs is that they're cheap for their production.  If you're keeping Dexter Williams on the roster to "stash" him, then you're wasting a valuable contract year.  This isn't the case like an OL/DL where you're looking for them to work on their technique or develop more strength.  This is about getting the most amount of production while they're incredibly cheap.  Carrying 4 RBs (not including Ervin) isn't a smart way to build a roster IMO.  Aside from the fact that Dexter Williams was a draft pick last year, what exactly qualifies him as valuable?  He was lost in preseason, and it's not like he played well during the regular season.

I'm not saying they should stash him just that the fact we have 3 RBs who are pretty much a lock for the team and Ervin doesn't mean that he is gone. If the coaching staff likes him then they can keep him. Most of the time the guys you stash never amount to much so you aren't missing anything. 

The best thing about RBs is that they are very cheap for their production on their rookie contract so you don't want to bring in a vet and a guy on his 3rd season with the team may well be better equipped to slot in next season than another rookie.

Not saying for a second we should stash him but if he's come on a lot and if the coaching staff want him then there's room on the roster if they want him as their number 2 or number 3 RB next season.   

• Like 1

QB   (3)   Rodgers, Love, Boyle

RB   (5)   Jones, J.Williams, D. Williams, Dillon, Ervin

WR  (5)   Adams, Lazard, Funchess, MVS, ESB

TE   (4)   Lewis, Sternberger, Tonyan, DeGuara

OL  (9)   Linsley, Hanson, Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Taylor, Turner, Bakhtiara, Wagner

DL  (5)   Clark, Keke, Lowry, Lancaster, Hester

LB  (9)   Bolton, Burks, Kirksey, Martin, Summers, Gary, Z. Smith, P. Smith, Roberts

CB  (5)   Alexander, Hollman, Jackson, King, Sullivan

S   (5)  Amos, Greene. Redmond, Savage, Scott

ST  (3)  Crosby, Scott, Bradley

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

PUP List: Stepaniak, Madison

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Practice Squad:

Krys Barnes

Evan Baylis

Reggie Begelton

Marc Antoine-DeQuoy

Jonathan Garvin

Jordan Jones

John LeGlue

James Looney

Yosh Nijman

Delontae Scott

Malik Taylor

Patrick Taylor

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2020 at 4:20 AM, mikemike778 said:

Keeping Dexter Williams on the roster would be a stash basically.

It depends on what they are planning to do with resigning AJ and JW. If they are planning to let them walk and want DW to replace one of them then it makes sense to stash him if he is showing enough. There's always room to stash someone. The new practice squad rules mean you can use some of these guys for ST.

There is a scenario that Dexter shows out in camp and we trade JW for like a 6th or random 1 year gap player. Dexter is cheap and we control his rights longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to Covid some rule changes have been implemented especially with the practice squad.

The PS size is now 16 players.

4 of these players can be protected each week to prevent poaching.

2 of those players can be promoted to the 53 (to make 55) each week but I've also read that they cannot return back to the PS for 3 weeks.

4 players maximum with more than 2 years NFL experience - this means theoretically you can put Aaron Rodgers on the practice squad, of course he has to clear waivers first!  xD 

Other than those the usual rules apply (as far as I can tell):

• Players with no more than two seasons of NFL active roster experience are eligible for the practice squad.
  • A player must now have a minimum of six games on a practice squad in order for that season to count as one of the player's three permissible seasons of practice squad service.

List of eligible practice squad players (Rookies in BOLD😞

Offence:
Darrius Shepherd, Malik Taylor,  Allen Lazard, Reggie Begelton, Travis Fulgham, Josiah Deguara, John Lovett, Jace Sternberger, Evan Baylis, Jon Ruynan, Cody Conway, Travis Bruffy, Elgton Jenkins, Jake HansonSimon Stepaniak, Yosh Nijman, Zack Johnson, John Leglue, Jordan LoveAJ Dillion, Dexter Williams, Patrick Taylor, Damarea Crockett.

Defence:
Will Sunderland, Kabion Ento, Ka'Dar Hollman, Stanford Samuels, Darnell Savage, Vernon ScottHenry Black, Jonathan GarvinDelontae Scott, Rashan Gary, Tipa Galeai, Randy Ramsey, Greg Roberts, Krys Barnes, Ty Summers, Kamal Martin, Curtis Bolton, Willington Previlon, Kingsley Keke.

Potential candidates for 4 players with 2+ years designation (they have to get past waivers first so we will need to be realistic here):
Tim Boyle, Malik Turner, Alex Light, Robert Tonyan, Josh Jackson, Dashaun Amos, Tim Williams, Oren Burks, Montravious Adams, Tyler Lancaster,  Will Redmond.

Edited by Chili

57 minutes ago, Chili said:

4 players maximum with more than 2 years NFL experience - this means theoretically you can put Aaron Rodgers on the practice squad, of course he has to clear waivers first!  xD 

if a team claimed Rodgers off waivers before he made it to the PS, would the contract and future year deadcap for GB be gone?

@Outpost31

SEcondary is an interesting collection.  We've only got 16.  

Last year, carried 11 plus 1 PS.  I assume this year with the big 16-man practice squad, you'd carry two secondary guys.  

So if 13 out of 16 guys stay employed, plus probably one of 16 will be IR, that means there might be only two guys who are actually cut.  

Hollman, Jackson, and late 7th-round Scott are all drafted.  Normally a 6th and 7th rounder and a Jackson who's shown so little thus far might be considered variably vulnerable, but all are probably pretty safe for PS, if not necessarily 53-man.  

6 UDFA:  4 rookies, PS Ento, and CFL Amos.  For those kinds of guys to come to camp, and figure probably only two or maybe three of them will get cut, that's a really inviting employment landscape for UDFAs and 7th/6th rounders.  .    

Update to my final 53 as there were some new additions and also some players were covid'ed / cut before training camp even started! 

I'm also basing my 53 on the assumption these following guys remain unavailable:  PUP: Bolton, Nijman  NFI: Stepaniak, P'Taylor

QB: Rodgers | Love [2]
FB/HB: Deguara | Lovett [2]
RB: A'Jones | AJ Dillion | J'Williams | Ervin [4]
TE: Sternberger | Tonyan | Lewis [3]
WR: Adams |  Lazard | EQ | MVS | Kumerow | Fulgham [6]
OL: Bakthari | Jenkins | Linsley | Turner | Wagner | Runyan | L'Taylor | Patrick | Light [9]

DL: Clark | Lowry Keke | Lancaster | Hester [5]
OLB: Z'Smith | P'Smith | Gary | Ramsey | D'Scott [5]
ILB: Kirksey | Martin | Summers | Galeai [4]
CB: 
King | Alexander | Sullivan | Hollman | Jackson | Ento [6]
SS: Amos | Greene [2]
FS: Savage | V'Scott [2]

ST: Crosby | JK Scott | Bradley [3]

TOTAL: Offence [26] | Defence [24] | ST [3] = 53

Because of Covid causing shorter training camps and no preseason games as well as the week to week impact on coaching during the season I can see teams heavily relying on their experienced players to carry them through the season. For the younger players expectations will be minimal and I can imagine many teams not bothering to raid the waiver wire after final cuts and instead prefer just to bring their own guys back onto the PS because they're already familiar with the playbook rather than having to deal with the complication of bringing in someone new.

PS: Boyle, D'Williams, Looney, Baylis, M'Turner, M'Taylor, Hanson, Conway, Samuels, Dequoy, Barnes, Garvin, T'Williams, Previlon, Adams, Burks. [16]

You know what I'm not confident we will carry just 2 QB. I think in the event covid takes out one of our QBs we are left with just one. I think we are going to need at least 3 on the roster just to give us that extra added security. I even read that the Packers are even considering isolating the QBs away from each other! The more I think about it keeping 3 makes alot of sense, but who would I drop to make room for a 3rd QB? probably one of the linebackers perhaps.

On 8/14/2020 at 4:48 PM, Chili said:

You know what I'm not confident we will carry just 2 QB. I think in the event covid takes out one of our QBs we are left with just one. I think we are going to need at least 3 on the roster just to give us that extra added security. I even read that the Packers are even considering isolating the QBs away from each other! The more I think about it keeping 3 makes alot of sense, but who would I drop to make room for a 3rd QB? probably one of the linebackers perhaps.

Boyle is probably going to start the season as QB2,  3 QBs seems pretty much a certainty at this point - guessing you are in the minority in still having 2 in your projections. Not sure what I think about that or what Boyle is really going to achieve if he needs to play but suppose its a necessity. 

Here we go, my early roster predictions.

ST: 

Scott, Crosby and Bradley  (3)

O:

Rodgers, Boyle, Love  (3)

Jones, JWill, Dillon, Irvin, DWill  (5)  (No FB, using Lewis, Deguara, Sternberger and Dillon instead.)

Adams, Lazard, ESB, MVS, Kumerow, Bagelton  (6)

Sternberger, Tonyan, Lewis, Deguara  (4)

Bak, Jenkins, Linsley, Turner, Wagner, L. Taylor, Patrick, Runyan  (8)

😧

Clark, Lowry, Lancaster, Keke, Adams  (5)

Z.Smith, P. Smith, Gary, TWill, Ramsey  (5)

Kirksey, Martin, Burks, Summers  (4)

King, Alexander, Jackson, Sullivan, Ento  (5)

Amos, Savage, Greene, Scott, Redmund  (5)

PS:  (6 open spots.)

Samuels  DB

Barnes  ILB

Galeai  LB

Garvin  LB

Stepaniak  OL

Hanson  OL

Nijman  OL

Shepherd  WR

P. Taylor  RB

Baylis  TE