Tony Romo The Analyst

1ForTheThumb

Dude obviously knows what he's talking about. He needs to dial his enthusiasm back though a bit and chill. Sometimes he comes off like some guy at a bar screaming at the TV. 

You know who I like as a newcomer to FOX so far? Mark Schlereth. He has the right amount of touch as a color commentator it seems. I always liked what he did at ESPN, and the transition to FOX seems good so far. He's with **** Stockton during games this year. 

1 hour ago, Chiefer said:

He's not bland or milquetoast like I thought he'd be that's for sure.

Already better than the likes of Dan Fouts, Rich Gannon or Troy Aikman

agreed..  Sunday was my first time hearing him and I really liked him...

and a rock is better than Dan Fouts.. I always wonder how that guy was such a good QB, because he is dumber than chit....

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Dude obviously knows what he's talking about. He needs to dial his enthusiasm back though a bit and chill. Sometimes he comes off like some guy at a bar screaming at the TV. 

You know who I like as a newcomer to FOX so far? Mark Schlereth. He has the right amount of touch as a color commentator it seems. I always liked what he did at ESPN, and the transition to FOX seems good so far. He's with **** Stockton during games this year. 

That's one thing I don't like in US commentators, they look like robots... here in Brasil they scream and shout every time. 

10 minutes ago, Shockey1979 said:

You're a Pats fan you haven't had a viable division rival in 17 years to worry about... of course you don't understand xD

Everyone hates us and our players and coaches though. You could argue I should understand better than most...:P

1 hour ago, Avin1973 said:

That's one thing I don't like in US commentators, they look like robots... here in Brasil they scream and shout every time. 

But Romo is doing it on every play, during the play. He doesn't let the game experience breathe for the audience watching. It almost starts to become distracting and more about Romo, than the game. He's not in that territory yet, but I think he's close right now. But he's new. 

Robot to me would be like Pat Summerall. At least in the NFL. And you just don't have that anymore with practically anyone. Everyone gets elated on a scoring touchdown practically. But not on every play. Romo has the knowledge, but I think there is a lot more than that to being a good color man. That's just me speaking as a consumer of course. 

He's my favorite commentator and it's not close.  Yes, he guesses wrong sometimes but he does a fantastic job of highlighting what a QB should be doing in terms of audibles based on what the defense is showing.  I'm sure it's much easier to do that from a booth than on the field, but it's still fun to watch/hear.

Also going from Phil Simms to Tony Romo is the biggest upgrade I've probably ever witnessed.  It's like going from Joe Buck to Gus Johnson.  I honestly don't know how someone as dumb as Phil Sims was successful as he was in the NFL.  I'm convinced that Sims wouldn't be successful in Today's NFL...

With a little refinement I think he can be a really good announcer.  Overall he's been better than expected but he does get a bit ahead of himself with predicting plays (which he is right most of the time actually).  Once he gets a bit more settled I think he'll be just fine.

I was watching the Jets/MIA game and I forget who was doing the game but it was 3rd and 3 or 4 mid way through the 4th and MIA was called for covering the center on a FG that was good.  The announcer actually raised the question should the Jets just keep the points to make it 20-0 instead of taking the first down ?  I mean time and time again these guys say the dumbest things like that.  Maybe Romo is a breath of fresh air to me.  It took me some time to get used to him but probably because he's different is why I don't mind him.

Archived