Tony Romo The Analyst

1ForTheThumb

A breath of fresh air is right. My jury's still out on Tony, but so far I like him. Too many NFL commentators these days sound dull, uninspired, like they've been doing their jobs forever and are tired of it. I want to hear guys who are distinctive and energetic (Spiro Dedes is one of my favorites because he has both of these qualities) and don't hesitate to go in-depth or speak their mind. That's Tony Romo.

He's horrible. Calling the run or passing route before the play isn't announcing. It's taking a game and providing context to it where the art is. Collinsworth is the best right now because he can call the game and put just enough info behind it to be meaningful and add substance while not being overbearing. 

Romo's just trying to show off how smart he is and it probably means nothing to 90% of the audience 

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

He's horrible. Calling the run or passing route before the play isn't announcing. It's taking a game and providing context to it where the art is. Collinsworth is the best right now because he can call the game and put just enough info behind it to be meaningful and add substance while not being overbearing. 

Romo's just trying to show off how smart he is and it probably means nothing to 90% of the audience 

I can see why it bugs people but it's refreshing given how most people are the same and give the same old jibber jabber. I like it right now. 

16 minutes ago, lancerman said:

I don't particularly care for him predicting plays in advance, but I like the wa he breaks stuff down better than most others.  Too many announcers seem to wanna play it safe and all repeat the same cliche crap over and over.  Maybe we'll all get tired of Romo's style, but right now I like him.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Negative. COllinsworth has far too many bias and comes into every game with a particular narrative that he thinks the game is going to go by.

I love him! He's like watching with that one friend who never went Pro but you know he knows his stuff. He just gets annoying after a while as he keeps yelling at the game "do this, do that" or "this is what I would have done." But overall he's very intelligent and entertaining. The only true downfall is that his voice is nasally and whiny.

He's good, but needs to chill with the predictions and what he thinks should be done at the moment. He can save that stuff for timeout and breaks in the action when they revisit something he finds worthy and interesting.

On the same note, on all these pregame shows, the analysts do their predictions as to who's going to win the game. To what end, though? Very useless and uninformative. 

1 minute ago, freak_of_nature said:

On the same note, on all these pregame shows, the analysts do their predictions as to who's going to win the game. To what end, though? Very useless and uninformative. 

It ticks me off that all these shows employ ex-coaches and QBs, oftentimes HoF coaches and QBs, and yet they never intelligently speak about football.  It's all bad jokes back and forth banter, and rooting for their former teams.  All these reservoirs of knowledge, and we get nothing.

8 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It ticks me off that all these shows employ ex-coaches and QBs, oftentimes HoF coaches and QBs, and yet they never intelligently speak about football.  It's all bad jokes back and forth banter, and rooting for their former teams.  All these reservoirs of knowledge, and we get nothing.

It's bad writing. But they don't care.

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

Besides Romo being horrible (I like him in the booth), I 100% agree. Romo's good at a lot of things, but yes he does need to predict/tip plays pre-snap less frequently. And yes, Collinsworth is absolutely the best color commentator for the reasons you specified. Collinsworth comes off at arrogant, but he's great if you can swallow that pill.

7 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

He's my favorite commentator and it's not close.  Yes, he guesses wrong sometimes but he does a fantastic job of highlighting what a QB should be doing in terms of audibles based on what the defense is showing.  I'm sure it's much easier to do that from a booth than on the field, but it's still fun to watch/hear.

Also going from Phil Simms to Tony Romo is the biggest upgrade I've probably ever witnessed.  It's like going from Joe Buck to Gus Johnson.  I honestly don't know how someone as dumb as Phil Sims was successful as he was in the NFL.  I'm convinced that Sims wouldn't be successful in Today's NFL...

There are plenty of smart guys that were never good football players regardless of how "intelligent" they are/were.

Archived