Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

To those that think his contract will toll, why hasnt it been reported yet? If it was as simple as him simply being placed on the PUP to determine whether or not his contract tolls, why have we heard of it happening?

It has already been confirmed by Ian Rapoport.

4 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

It has already been confirmed by Ian Rapoport.

Where? His tweet from April isn’t a confirmation. 

Where has it been confirmed that Bridgewater’s contract has tolled? There have been no such reports. 

Does no one find it interesting that Rapoport is the only one to report this, and there hasn’t been any further reports of it since April?

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Where? His tweet from April isn’t a confirmation. 

Where has it been confirmed that Bridgewater’s contract has tolled? There have been no such reports. 

Does no one find it interesting that Rapoport is the only one to report this, and there hasn’t been any further reports of it since April?

It has not been confirmed. It cannot be confirmed because it has not yet happened. If the league attempts to toll it expect a grievance to be filed by the union almost immediately if Teddy and at least one doctor feels Teddy is physically able to go. Only after that grievance is settled will there be clarity on the situation.

If Teddy isn't ready to go by that time the tolling of the contract would be uncontested. The issue would eventually be settled in the future when some other player in the last year of his contract starts the year on PUP but is physically able before week 6.

The best game of Case Keenum‘s career came last weekend, in a win over the Buccaneers. His best game before that, albeit in a loss, came last year, against this week’s opponent. Week Six, at Detroit. Still starting for the Rams, Keenum matched Sam Bradford‘s 27-for-32 showing from Week One of this year, completing 84.4 percent of his passes in a 31-28 shootout with the Lions. With 321 yards, Keenum averaged 10 yards per throw, adding three touchdowns and one interception.

But the interception came after the Lions had gone up by three late, with former Lions safety Rafael Bush getting the pick and sealing the win.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/01/case-keenum-had-a-career-day-vs-the-lions-in-2016/

• 2 weeks later...

In three series with Keenum vs Chicago, the Vikings lead increased from 3-2 to 17-9. Keenum finished the game going 17 of 21 for 140 yards and one touchdown, good for a passer rating of 110.3. He didn’t take a sack, he didn’t turn the ball over and he led the offense on three scoring drives.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/5-Takeaways-from-Monday-Nights-Win-in-Chicago/bfbfdf30-6de8-4541-8b5e-617b65972d0f?sf120709812=1

I'm starting to get the feeling that Keenum is going to end up starting up until Teddy is ready to go, maybe around week 8-9 once he has practiced more and gotten into "game mode". I could see Sam possibly being sent to the IR with a designation to return to make room for Teddy as well. With how Keenum has been playing and the uncertainty around Sam's knee, it might be best to just roll with Keenum for a little while longer.

10 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Not that it's going to happen, but I would like to see Keenum signed to an extension as a backup (to whoever will be the starter in 2018) with an escalator clause if he takes so many snaps.  

why is that so unlikely?

i mean. if Keenum plays lights out for the rest of the season, then yes, someone will want to sign him as a starter. but the more likely scenario is that he will have some stinker or mediocre games too, making teams wary. his best offer next year  might very well come from us.

13 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Not that it's going to happen, but I would like to see Keenum signed to an extension as a backup (to whoever will be the starter in 2018) with an escalator clause if he takes so many snaps.  

Would be best case to keep Keenum as the backup to a hopefully healthy Teddy. I've lost faith in Bradford as an option beyond this year.

Archived