Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

At the end of the day, it's going to be super difficult to compare QB play between Case and Teddy based on TB's past experiences because we had a different team, a different coaching staff, a different O-line, and a different receiving corp when Teddy last saw the field on Sunday's. The thing that can easily be compared would be accuracy as far as ball placement, arm strength, mobility, and decision making. Beyond that, almost everything is close to apples and oranges. We won't really know who the better choice is until we get a sample size relatively close from Teddy that measures up to Case's playing time this year, and even then, there will be a change in level of competition and team composition due to injuries. 

On 11/3/2017 at 4:19 PM, JDBrocks said:

Is it though? How much is it him playing well vs his supporting cast bailing him out? How many big plays has he missed that another more talented player would have capitalized on? There's plenty of video evidence out there suggesting that he is a product of his surroundings. 

I hate arguing about this, because I really do like Keenum! I think he's done an admirable job given who he is as a player. I think the longer Keenum sticks as the QB, the more likely a regression becomes. I also think this offense really takes off with a better QB, which I happen to believe Teddy will be. 

Doesn't matter whether it's his supporting cast or not...it's whether he puts the ball in the place where the receiver can catch it.  How many times did we see Teddy not do so (overthrowing Wallace down the field, for one example)?  

And if he regresses, which I agree that he probably will do so at some point, then you make the change, but you can't make the change in anticipation of him regressing.

And the comparison to the Dalvin Cook and Jet/Train situation (made later on) isn't a comparable situation, since the offense doesn't rely on the RB the same way as it relies on the QB.  

22 minutes ago, disaacs said:

but you can't make the change in anticipation of him regressing.

Why not? 

If you know it’s coming, why wait until it happens?

Keenum isn’t playing at a high level, he’s playing at a competent level. You are essentially saying that he stays in until we lose. Why?

11 minutes ago, disaacs said:

And if he regresses, which I agree that he probably will do so at some point, then you make the change, but you can't make the change in anticipation of him regressing.

and potentially lose a game(s) that could keep us out of the playoffs in the end?

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and potentially lose a game(s) that could keep us out of the playoffs in the end?

Again, you're just anticipating that he's going to fail and going to cost them the playoffs.  As a negative person myself, even that's an awfully negative position to take.

4 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Again, you're just anticipating that he's going to fail and going to cost them the playoffs.  As a negative person myself, even that's an awfully negative position to take.

You just said that you expect a regression, as well. 

29 minutes ago, disaacs said:

And if he regresses, which I agree that he probably will do so at some point

So, again, if you believe he’ll regress, why wait for it to happen?

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You just said that you expect a regression, as well. 

So, again, if you believe he’ll regress, why wait for it to happen?

I expect it...it doesn't mean it's going to happen.  I expect a financial collapse of which we've never seen to sometime happen within the next 3 years too, it doesn't mean it's going to happen.  

On 11/4/2017 at 9:38 PM, JDBrocks said:

K. I just don't know what it has to do with the conversation at hand if it is ultimately unimportant?

Right. So that one, lone, isolated aspect of the conversation is - in your mind - inconsequential, but you're willfully disregarding the full spectrum of my point. As a result, I'm left only to assume you now agree with me.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

i wonder which one is more likely, actually....

I'm not sure...some players catch lightning in a bottle...it doesn't mean you bench him because you expect him to fail at some point.  What if Belichick had benched Brady when Bledsoe came back.  It's not exactly like Brady was playing like the Brady we know him to be now.  But the team was winning. Statistically, Case Keenum of 2017 and Tom Brady of 2001 aren't all that different.  Now, I can guarantee you that the Case Keenum of 2018 and 2019 won't be the Tom Brady that he is now, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is 2017.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Why not? 

If you know it’s coming, why wait until it happens?

Keenum isn’t playing at a high level, he’s playing at a competent level. You are essentially saying that he stays in until we lose. Why?

Normally I'd agree, but it's clear - especially based on Everson Griffen's comments a few weeks back - that the team is in a place where it's comfortable playing for/with Keenum (at least for the time being).

Conventional wisdom tells us it's a matter of time before Keenum plays himself out of starting, but the reality is with Bradford's injury concern still of note and Teddy's present + future an enigma, that we roll with what's working.

2 hours ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Right. So that one, lone, isolated aspect of the conversation is - in your mind - inconsequential, but you're willfully disregarding the full spectrum of my point. As a result, I'm left only to assume you now agree with me.

Not going to hijack this thread anymore. You are right. Wentz is bigger/faster/stronger etc.

Archived