2020 Schedule (TNF v Denver, MNF v NE)

Bianconero

I like that unlike last year there’s no easier or harder part of the schedule. It’s a tough schedule. But not string of 2-3 games where there’s little to no chance of us winning. The tough opponents are rather spread out.

Broncos, Cardinals, Miami at home and Raiders IMO are the 4 games I look at and say it we have to get those barring unforeseen circumstances(injuries, etc)

Broncos traveling on a short week, 1PM starts for West Coast teams in AZ and LV and Miami after a bye after playing them the previous game and we’re home. 

No such thing as a gimme but those are all home games we should win and be well prepared for. 

It’s all going to come down to how Darnold plays. Which means it’s going to come down to how good our OL pass protects. We threw everything at that unit this year. Crossing my fingers.

My range is 6 to 9 wins. I’ll go 8-8.

The first 7 games are all winnable, 49ers traveling and SB hangover? Not saying likely to beat them but they are all winnable.

The only two on the schedule I'm worried about are traveling to KC and SEA.  Everything else should be a good game as long as Darnold is playing well. 

We are going to have a really good defense.  If we can become those Patriot style defenses where they don't dominate you but they don't give up points and they create turnovers that will give Sam and Bell more chances to do their thang. Then we know we'll have a couple of games where our defense just takes over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GangGreen420 said:

That’s a tough schedule. Second toughest in the league.. hard to gauge considering they lost (and got beat down) by two winless teams last year.

We were the second most injured team ever recorded by football outsiders measured by average games lost. What happened to our LBs was unprecedented. Only Arizona had more injuries along the OL. Really, the only position group not effected by injuries was RB.

The strength of schedule hurts us for sure. But we should get a boost by just reverting back to the mean on injuries.

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

I feel 7-9 but a better 7-9. We went 7-9 and were bottom 5 in team total DVOA because we were pitiful offensively. I think we are an additional solid play maker on both sides of the ball away from being truly in the mix for either the division or at very least WC. It’s going to be a better football team. It just may not translate in the win loss column this year. Macagnan really just did a number on this roster and missing so many drafts has really been hard to overcome. 

• Like 3

Can we stay healthy? That's big. I think if you give Darnold time and be able to run the ball he'll make you pay. 

I'm with Dan orlasky,  I think Darnold is special,  he'll show he's the best QB in the afc east.

Whats funny is NFL general there is a guy who suggested we need to cut dsrnold and sign Newton cause Darnold is awful. 

Darnold stats aren't good but he passes the eye test, he's a good player right now. We need him to jump to great. His numbers would be better if he had a better team around him.

I see Darnold becoming a over 65% thrower. Probably around 68%. He's very accurate,  he had no time to throw last season. 

People said he had a fumbling issue, he fixed it. He's working hard on deep accuracy,  he'll fix it. There was one pass where darnold threw a good ball dowbfiekd to Anderson where Anderson just didn't fight for it, that's one reason I don't like robby he rarely fought for the ball.

Mims is gonna be good with Sam,  I think he may have a better than expected rookie year.  Maybe like 800 yards, Sam running around improvising is gonna help mims lack of route running. But mims seems mad that he dropped and motivated which i like.

2 hours ago, SDotNova said:

We were the second most injured team ever recorded by football outsiders measured by average games lost. What happened to our LBs was unprecedented. Only Arizona had more injuries along the OL. Really, the only position group not effected by injuries was RB.

The strength of schedule hurts us for sure. But we should get a boost by just reverting back to the mean on injuries.

No excuse to get smacked like that by the 0-11 Bengals..

my point is that it’s impossible to look at the schedule and call anything a “W” (or an L too I guess)

• Like 2

I think it’s laughable that a lot of people are automatically pegging the Jets as a team who’s not got to be good and only going to win a couple of games. I was in the Bills forum and a lot of them are looking at us as easy win for them. Bias aside, the Bills are good but they are not really a superior team. Yes they are the favorites to win the afc East right now but honestly the division is wide open

20 minutes ago, bspice said:

I think it’s laughable that a lot of people are automatically pegging the Jets as a team who’s not got to be good and only going to win a couple of games. I was in the Bills forum and a lot of them are looking at us as easy win for them. Bias aside, the Bills are good but they are not really a superior team. Yes they are the favorites to win the afc East right now but honestly the division is wide open

I’d be higher on us if it was a a regular offseason for our OL to gel and Darnold to get a relationship with Mims, Perriman and Herndon. But that’s not the case. So I think it might be a rough start. I think the teams that are good that didn’t change much will be favorites this year. The more moving pieces the harder the adjustment will be for teams in a weird offseason 

2 hours ago, bspice said:

Recency bias. But even then we managed 7 wins last year with everything that could go wrong going wrong. That’s a testament to the coaching staff and locker room(outside of the Diva being hurt by trade rumors)

This team will have to prove itself with 

1. Execution- we missed a ton of opportunities last year to make plays. 
2. Winning ball games- it’s one thing to be competitive but you want to be the team that can close games out. 
3. Consistency- have to show that week in/week out we’re a team that shows up. 3 losses last year that guys here really hated were @Miami, @Jacksonville and @Cincinnati. Now I don’t think we were good enough to say we had to beat them but those are the games you have to win to be a team that is legit. 

Can they win 11 games? Sure, Darnold in year 3(2nd in the offense) and an all around improved team(I don’t think we got worse anywhere) and some good luck and yeah it can happen. But they can lose 11 as well. Why? Because we’ve been doing that. 

We were 7-6 with Sam last year(8-5 if we close out the Buffalo game). I got faith but they gotta prove it to everyone else. 

For the fans it starts with belief. 

Edited by KingOfTheDot