Jim Harbaugh’s College Football Proposal

winitall

47 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

am i the only one who DO NOT wish college athletes get paid?  thats too much imo.  they are student athletes.  its a privilege to play college sports.  when you go pro should be the only time you get paid. 

Yeah, they only play for coaches that get paid millions and athletic departments that get tens of millions for people to watch them play every Saturday while they get massive compensation in a free education. No idea why they would think they deserve more, such as the ability to capitalize on their likeness, for their labor. That's just crazy talk.

Edited by JammerHammer21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

am i the only one who DO NOT wish college athletes get paid?  thats too much imo.  they are student athletes.  its a privilege to play college sports.  when you go pro should be the only time you get paid. 

Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous that they aren't getting paid. It's not a privilege to play college sports. It's an extremely competitive and demanding job. 

15 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Oh sure it's fair for Tom Herman to get millions of dollars to coach University of Houston's football team, but apparently it's not at all fair for the players who actually started the #htowntakeover.

to each its on i guess.  its just my opinion. 

also 

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh sure it's fair for Tom Herman to get millions of dollars to coach University of Houston's football team, but apparently it's not at all fair for the players who actually started the #htowntakeover.

who gives a damn about herman anyway now?  i certainly dont. 

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Football is not some hobby, all of these guys "work" 50+ hours a week on top of college and dont make money. The idea that whatever watered down education they get where they're all but told "take easy classes for an easy major or we revoke your scholarship" is dumb as hell.

Are you paying the FCS-D3 athletes who work the same 50+ hour weeks, many of them while paying for school and not on scholarship, but don't generate the same kind of revenue? 

I'm all for letting a college kid capitalize on his likeness and get paid for autograph sessions or the campus stores that sell jerseys with his number on it. However if the argument is, they work so hard for programs that make money off them, that applies from FBS-D3 and thus they all need to be paid and I don't support just the FBS guys making the money. Does the NCAA have cash to pay all these kids? The coaches are paid primarily by boosters, and very few individual programs are profitable. While you think Bama football must be raking in dough, remember that the money they make goes the pay the women's field hockey team (if they have one, just an example) and all their travel, the schollies and the recruiting trips. Football and basketball pay for all the other sports a university sustains, so the athletic departments dont have the cash to pay players beyond scholarships. The profitable entities are the universities themselves and the NCAA. I would be OK with them having to kick something back to the players, but again I would only be for it if it was every player at all schools, so we aren't talking about much here. My biggest thing is the likeness issue, I think kids should be allowed to negotiate if businesses want them to appear at events or self stuff regarding their likeness. Think that's a better means to income than treating athletes as employees.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Are you paying the FCS-D3 athletes who work the same 50+ hour weeks, many of them while paying for school and not on scholarship, but don't generate the same kind of revenue? 

I'm all for letting a college kid capitalize on his likeness and get paid for autograph sessions or the campus stores that sell jerseys with his number on it. However if the argument is, they work so hard for programs that make money off them, that applies from FBS-D3 and thus they all need to be paid and I don't support just the FBS guys making the money. Does the NCAA have cash to pay all these kids? The coaches are paid primarily by boosters, and very few individual programs are profitable. While you think Bama football must be raking in dough, remember that the money they make goes the pay the women's field hockey team (if they have one, just an example) and all their travel, the schollies and the recruiting trips. Football and basketball pay for all the other sports a university sustains, so the athletic departments dont have the cash to pay players beyond scholarships. The profitable entities are the universities themselves and the NCAA. I would be OK with them having to kick something back to the players, but again I would only be for it if it was every player at all schools, so we aren't talking about much here. My biggest thing is the likeness issue, I think kids should be allowed to negotiate if businesses want them to appear at events or self stuff regarding their likeness. Think that's a better means to income than treating athletes as employees.

They are employees. They provide labor to a profit making enterprise. There's always the "yeah but" as if these are impossible hurdles to clear.

They work, full time, and expand labor for someone to profit from. That's working, you should be compensated for working.

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They are employees. They provide labor to a profit making enterprise. There's always the "yeah but" as if these are impossible hurdles to clear.

They work, full time, and expand labor for someone to profit from. That's working, you should be compensated for working.

Sure, I have no problem with that, but then they're all employees. From D1 to D3, both men and women, from football to water polo. You either have them all or none. With that kind of quantity, you're probably only talking 2-5k for a season pay, totally enough to live on as a college kid, but I'm sure their likeness would be a more fruitful way to be compensated. I'm sure plenty of places would pay 5 figures for an appearance by Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 9:54 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

You can't judge a decision made in hindsight reasonably, you judge the decision as it happened.

Bad argument tbh. I understand your rationale, but everything in sports is ultimately judged off of results. You can say that it’s bad to do that, but nobody in here (including you) would be happy with their team continuing to employ a GM who produces disastrous draft results, even if you think the decisions aren’t bad up front. 

Additionally, this standard train of thought wouldn’t change at all under your proposed system. I can judge the raiders as having a good (or bad) draft right now, but it’s completely irrelevant if the players end up being trash (or good). The same would be applicable to a rookie free agent class. 

I will grant that essentially seeing the UDFA process play out amongst all draft eligible players would be highly entertaining. I wouldn’t really have an issue with it. If you’re a bottom feeder NFL franchise, bring in Joey Freshwater to recruit some players and watch your fortunes turn around. I think it’s fair to say that money and recruiting could turn around a crap franchise more efficiently than hoping to land the next Peyton Manning. 

• Like 1

I don't really understand the arguments against freshman and sophomore's declaring for the draft in here. Like yeah a lot of college freshman would get killed in the NFL, but who exactly is going to draft those guys? The NFL has small rosters and limited draft capital, teams aren't picking guys that are years away from being physically ready and then wasting a roster spot for a year or two. The only young guys getting drafted are the ones that are ready.

46 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

They aren't going for free. They literally are providing labor that dwarfs the cost of their education, which itself is bloated beyond belief.

A small percentage of them are. You're only describing probably 1-2% of college athletes in this post. What about the 98-99% that cost the university more than they make on them?

• Like 1