SnoopDogg

Who's the MJ of Football?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the MJ of Football?

• Tom Brady
    • Jerry Rice
    • Other (explain)

55 minutes ago, Plat2 said:

And I wouldn't be mad at ya, I guess for me how much influence that player has on the game as a whole plays a big part in determining how great a player is.

Okay but in this case it’s indisputable that the QB is far and away the most valuable player on offense and more valuable than any single defensive player. 

The question isn’t “who is the 1:1 equivalent of MJ”. It’s “who is the MJ of football”. There is a guy in football that in the peak of the sport viewership wise is by consensus considered the best ever who was in the SB half his career, has as many titles as MJ, is second in MVP wins like MJ in his sport, is statistically dominant and in the upper echelon like MJ in his sport and who is far and away the most recognizable name in his sport and probably will be for a long time”. That person is the MJ of his sport. There isn’t a person in the country who has never heard of Tom Brady. There’s people who hate football and pay zero attention to it, that if you ask them if they know who Brady is they would get offended because it’s still such a “duh” question. You can’t say that about Rice, Brown or Taylor. 

If you are looking an exact replica, there isn’t one. It’s like saying who is the Ali of any sport? If you are looking for an exact replica there isn’t one because you can’t compare a team sport to a solo sport and Ali every year he was champ was the undisputed top guy without any room for debate 

If you are saying who is football’s version though... it’s pretty obvious 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Okay but in this case it’s indisputable that the QB is far and away the most valuable player on offense and more valuable than any single defensive player. 

The question isn’t “who is the 1:1 equivalent of MJ”. It’s “who is the MJ of football”. There is a guy in football that in the peak of the sport viewership wise is by consensus considered the best ever who was in the SB half his career, has as many titles as MJ, is second in MVP wins like MJ in his sport, is statistically dominant and in the upper echelon like MJ in his sport and who is far and away the most recognizable name in his sport and probably will be for a long time”. That person is the MJ of his sport. There isn’t a person in the country who has never heard of Tom Brady. There’s people who hate football and pay zero attention to it, that if you ask them if they know who Brady is they would get offended because it’s still such a “duh” question. You can’t say that about Rice, Brown or Taylor. 

If you are looking an exact replica, there isn’t one. It’s like saying who is the Ali of any sport? If you are looking for an exact replica there isn’t one because you can’t compare a team sport to a solo sport and Ali every year he was champ was the undisputed top guy without any room for debate 

If you are saying who is football’s version though... it’s pretty obvious 

Agreed,  although I would phrase it as "who is the closest to MJ in football" to make it more clear because asking "who is the MJ of football" kind of implies a 1:1 equivalent and brings all that other stuff into the mix, and to me the two GOATs are not equal.

2 minutes ago, Plat2 said:

Agreed,  although I would phrase it as "who is the closest to MJ in football" to make it more clear because asking "who is the MJ of football" kind of implies a 1:1 equivalent and brings all that other stuff into the mix, and to me the two GOATs are not equal.

And I guess my feeling is, when you are as good at your craft as Jordan, and as OBSESSIVELY driven to win as he is, but you translate that to the sport of football and the NFL, you get Brady. Yes, it ends up looking a bit different when you try to draw a direct parallel, but that's due to the nature of the sport and league.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

No. Because Jordan crushes Kobe in statistical categories. I never said league awards should be valued over production and efficiency. 

So now it’s about stats now.

Edited by CP3MVP

17 hours ago, Plat2 said:

I know you're trying to prove a point with this quote but lets add some context to that statement, MJ played 13 full seasons and Kobe played 18, Kobe also played alot his career when hand checking became illegal making it easier for players to score, especially for guards. So no...Kobe did not play in a tougher guard era than MJ did, there might have been more talent at the guard position but it wasn't a "much tougher" era to play in for a guard, let me jalso add that Jordan played in a much physical era than Kobe did and payed against some of the most physical teams in NBA history such as the bad boys Pistons and mid 90's Knicks.

Yes Kobe played in a tougher era at the guard position in terms of talent and it’s not really close. A guy like Reggie Miller was heralded during the 90’s and he would struggle to make all star games in the 00’s. Heck he did in the 90’s when his competition was people like sprewell and mark price. 

In regards to defenses, the 2004 pistons and 2008 Celtics are better defensively than any team Jordan faced in the finals.

Brady isn’t even close to MJs level. Honestly, Tim Tebow is closer than MJ than Brady. 

Patrick Mahomes is bleh. The guy is a phenomenal player but he also isn’t going to be some international superstar. Honestly, the only guy I can see even approaching Tebow is Minshew, because he has the legendary charisma to pull it off. The big catch, and obviously it’s a very big catch, is that he had to become an elite QB. 

8 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Brady isn’t even close to MJs level. Honestly, Tim Tebow is closer than MJ than Brady. 

Patrick Mahomes is bleh. The guy is a phenomenal player but he also isn’t going to be some international superstar. Honestly, the only guy I can see even approaching Tebow is Minshew, because he has the legendary charisma to pull it off. The big catch, and obviously it’s a very big catch, is that he had to become an elite QB. 

This man isn’t wrong 

5 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Yes Kobe played in a tougher era at the guard position in terms of talent and it’s not really close. A guy like Reggie Miller was heralded during the 90’s and he would struggle to make all star games in the 00’s. Heck he did in the 90’s when his competition was people like sprewell and mark price. 

In regards to defenses, the 2004 pistons and 2008 Celtics are better defensively than any team Jordan faced in the finals.

You've shown your lack of knowledge about basketball being wrong numerous times in this thread already, this just adds to the list. Your credibility when it comes to basketball is pretty much reduced to ashes.

I can see how someone can think that Kobe played in a tougher era, but "not really close" lmfao. You either didn't watch basketball before 2000 or you have a hidden agenda.

1 minute ago, DannyB said:
6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Didn't Tiger Woods have a greater impact on Golf than Jordan on Basketball?

I think that's a pretty defensible position

I wouldn't argue this, either. 

Mike Tyson and boxing? Usain Bolt and sprinting? Michael Phelps and swimming?

47 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn't argue this, either. 

Mike Tyson and boxing? Usain Bolt and sprinting? Michael Phelps and swimming?

No man Muhammad Ali is boxing all day lol.

Usain Bolt I can't argue still don't think people Care about sprinting though.

And Phelps absolutely but that sport is once every 4 years so I feel like it's easier to caotivate people once every 4 summers and people do forget.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

No man Muhammad Ali is boxing all day lol.

I can agree to this - I wasn't old enough to watch Ali at his greatest, so I don't comment. But, I can buy this.

• Like 1