Week 4 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

Anyone else a little disturbed by the playcalling disparity between run and pass given that we were either tied or in the lead for the entirety of the game? I think we had 50 drop backs to 26 rushes. That seems a little slanted for me taste, particularly given that it was evident early on that Hoyer didn't have it tonight. Hyde was averaging 4.3 a carry, and even though as a team we somewhat struggled (Breida pretty much did nothing), I feel like we should have run the ball a lot more than we did. 

4 hours ago, oldman9er said:

RR got his head around too!

meh... SF stays in great shape for the Draft. I know.. I hate being that guy.. but just this once. 

That's how I feel. In the past I've been adamant that you always want to win but this year does seem like the exception to the rule. 

These last three weeks have been fun. Our team has a lot of heart. I know we are going to steal a game or two late in the season so I'm just hoping the browns win a game or two early to really give us a buffer. Seems like Miami might be a team that will be drafting in the top 5.. 

I was really pulling for the tie at the end. How would a tie affect our draft position? If we were 1-14-1 and someone else was 1-15, would we have the first pick? @y2lamanaki 

5 minutes ago, N4L said:

That's how I feel. In the past I've been adamant that you always want to win but this year does seem like the exception to the rule. 

These last three weeks have been fun. Our team has a lot of heart. I know we are going to steal a game or two late in the season so I'm just hoping the browns win a game or two early to really give us a buffer. Seems like Miami might be a team that will be drafting in the top 5.. 

I was really pulling for the tie at the end. How would a tie affect our draft position? If we were 1-14-1 and someone else was 1-15, would we have the first pick? @y2lamanaki 

They would. A tie is better than a loss, but worse than a win. We would pick after a 1-15 team,  but before 2-14 teams. 

I agree about our team though. They've shown a ton of fight and heart, and I love that. And we are going to break through at some point. And at least I've been interested and entertained in the games - they haven't made me want to turn them off, and that's saying something. Knowing what our team was going to be, what this season was going to be this year, that's all I can really ask for. 

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

Anyone else a little disturbed by the playcalling disparity between run and pass given that we were either tied or in the lead for the entirety of the game? I think we had 50 drop backs to 26 rushes. That seems a little slanted for me taste, particularly given that it was evident early on that Hoyer didn't have it tonight. Hyde was averaging 4.3 a carry, and even though as a team we somewhat struggled (Breida pretty much did nothing), I feel like we should have run the ball a lot more than we did. 

Just finished watching the game on gamepass this is the main thing i notice from the game is we pass way too much. Especially when there is no need too. I feel kyle hasn't learnt his lesson from the superbowl.  

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I think a major part of that was they didn't want to over use Hyde who was clearly banged up. He was averaging over 5 YPC for much of the game, but just couldn't go to him 20+ times. And then Breida just couldn't get going so Shanny had to revert to the passing game. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think a major part of that was they didn't want to over use Hyde who was clearly banged up. He was averaging over 5 YPC for much of the game, but just couldn't go to him 20+ times. And then Breida just couldn't get going so Shanny had to revert to the passing game. 

I thought this too, we can't kill Hyde. He got his 20 touches Breida got 10, thats about right. I think the 3rd down conversions or lack there of made a difference there too. Penalties make it hard to run the ball too when its 2nd and 15 instead of 2nd and 6.  

I've been saying this should happen for weeks now. Noticed on the first snap they had Thomas at LEO.

As for not running it as much, Shanny pretty much explains it here:

“He wasn’t on a pitch count, but we knew he was banged up all week,” 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said. “So we wanted to make sure to keep him fresh. We planned on getting (Matt) Breida in there, but by no means did we limit the numbers.”

http://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/snap-count-hydes-hip-kept-him-heavy-workload-49ers-ot-loss

On face value, 6 receptions on 14 targets for 82 yards isn't all that bad as it is less than 50% completion rate and less than 6 YPA (Inc 4 PDs). However, he commits far too many penalties and is too inconsistent at the moment. He finally started to turn his head on go routes which was good to see, but man does he have bricks for hands. He should have picked one off on the first drive and had a chance at picking off one at the end that almost led to a Brown TD.

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I've mentioned it before - I jusgt don't think Shanny believes in multiple runs in a row.  I"d be curious over his time in Atlanta how many times he called several running plays in a row.  To repeat what I said after last week's game - I"m a big bbeliever in a balanced attack, and in mixing things up to keep defenses off balance.  But thats as a general strategy.  In any particular game you have to adjust to what the other team is doing and to the score and time remaining.  Shanny has so far seemed to determined to mix in passing plays even when they are not working very well, and even when the running game is working pretty well.  Last year it cost them the SB.  I've been hoping he learned from that.  But so far he seems determined to keep calling games the same way no matter what the time and score, and despite whatever seems to be working or not working.

Just now, big9erfan said:

I think it was game one, maybe 2, where we had two 4th down and short plays and both times he called what I think of as sort of a "tricky play" rather than the straight forward power play.  Yesterday in that OT drive when we got inside the ten, what was that play he called where Hyde got drilled for a big loss?  I don't have the game recorded so can't re-watch it, but I think I recall seeing Garcon in the backfield.  Did Shanny call another sort of tricky play instead of just going with what had been  working pretty well? I am beginning to worry about him trying to out-think his opoonents rather than out-execute them.  Love smart coaches who can spot the other teams' weaknesses and exploit them.  But I"m beginning to think Shanny default approach is to try to out-think rather than out-execute

THought about what I just wrote and am wondering if I just can't be happy with our coach's play calling.  I used to criticize Harbaugh for the exact opposite of what I just said about KS. He used to run up the middle against 8 and sometimes 9 man  fronts.  He never wanted to try to work around what the other team was doing.  He was just damned well going to out-execute the.  Could we just find a mid point between how Jim called games and what Shanny seems to default to in critical situations?

The 49ers could easily be 3-1 with the point differences in these first four games. That's a good sign at least along with losing games to secure next year's early draft slotting. I know that sounds really bad from a fan's point of view, but I'm thinking long term. At least three of the four losses so far haven't been complete blowouts. 

Archived