Week 4 GDT - San Francisco 49ers @ Arizona Cardinals

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, PapaShogun said:

The 49ers could easily be 3-1 with the point differences in these first four games. That's a good sign at least along with losing games to secure next year's early draft slotting. I know that sounds really bad from a fan's point of view, but I'm thinking long term. At least three of the four losses so far haven't been complete blowouts. 

It's really hard for me not to enjoy watching our team show some moments of really good play and to see potential there, and yet to have the L go up on our record to keep our chances for a stud QB alive.  I predicted early in the year and just before the season started that we would win 5 or 6 this year. That sure seems out of reach now.  But honestly, new offenses comprised of essentially an entire new team take time to work out the kinks.  I'd be surprised if we weren't playing much better by the latter part of the season. So from a draft perspective good that we are losing the close ones now.

I'm pretty sure the Falcons had one of the top run to pass ratios last year. I don't think Shanahan is against running the ball, but sometimes gets too pass happy. That is fine if you have Matt Ryan at QB, not Brian Hoyer.

Hopefully Hyde is healthier next week and he's able to have a heavier workload. 

18 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Yep they're not returning anything he kicks

Pinion has some 'leg talent' but his problem has always been consistency. 

I was originally hoping that he would hone his craft to the point where he could be both our kicker and our punter to save an extra active roster spot. He has hit 60+ yarders but he has just been sooo inconsistent with his punts I have somewhat given up on the idea. You really need a steady kicker who just does the exact same thing every time.

I thought Thomas had a nice game. The last play of the first half was probably the best ive seen him rush the passer so far. He actually used his hands well and turned the guard one way before shooting the gap and applying pressure. First time ive really seen him disengage his blocker with hand fighting. good call @J-ALL-DAY on his first career sack coming this week.

Really freaking excited to get foster on the field.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm pretty sure the Falcons had one of the top run to pass ratios last year. I don't think Shanahan is against running the ball, but sometimes gets too pass happy. That is fine if you have Matt Ryan at QB, not Brian Hoyer.

Hopefully Hyde is healthier next week and he's able to have a heavier workload. 

It's clear as day to me that we just haven't provided much push between the tackles for Shanny to feel comfortable going with a more balanced attack. Especially when Hyde leaves the game. Brieda just has not gotten done on thise inside runs. The short-passing is supplementing our woes in run blocking. I think the run blocking will come around but Hyde's injury hasn't helped matters either. This offense can't be as effective as it should without running the ball effectively. And I don't believe any of the other RBs are as effective as Hyde, between the tackles so I think it will be issue until he gets healthy....which may not happen. 

55 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

It's clear as day to me that we just haven't provided much push between the tackles for Shanny to feel comfortable going with a more balanced attack. Especially when Hyde leaves the game. Brieda just has not gotten done on thise inside runs. The short-passing is supplementing our woes in run blocking. I think the run blocking will come around but Hyde's injury hasn't helped matters either. This offense can't be as effective as it should without running the ball effectively. And I don't believe any of the other RBs are as effective as Hyde, between the tackles so I think it will be issue until he gets healthy....which may not happen. 

Our run blocking at times has been solid, but there certainly is a weakness in the interior. No question we have to upgrade multiple positions there this offseason.

So did any reporter ask Shanny today about accepting the penalty which took away Buckner's sack???

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Our run blocking at times has been solid, but there certainly is a weakness in the interior. No question we have to upgrade multiple positions there this offseason.

So did any reporter ask Shanny today about accepting the penalty which took away Buckner's sack???

Was that Shanny that declined or Saleh? I know the rams let Wade Phillips make that call when its their defense, who makes that call for us?

Going back a couple pages, I really like that we moved Thomas to Leo and AA to the big end. That is what I figured they'd do when we drafted Solomon. I was a bit surprised when we tried AA  at LEO. I hope we stick with this alignment moving forward. 

As far as accepting that penalty, that is a bit hard to defend. I get that it pushes them further back for a potential FG attempt assuming we could have stopped them two more times, but it also only gained us a couple yards and lost us a down. Not that it really mattered as our defense could not stop that underneath stuff. I wish we would have declined, given Buck another sack and given us an opportunity to get one more stop to hold them to a FG. Oh well, I'm of the same thought as many here. We knew we weren't going to the superbowl this year and that Hoyer wasn't going to be the answer. I'm excited that we are seeing flashes from guys on this team and am really hoping we can get our franchise QB next year in the draft. It is VERY rare to win a superbowl, let alone mutliple championships, without a franchise QB. I would love to see us land Rosen and I feel if we did we could start competing very shortly after, especially with our additional draft capitol in 2018 (1 1st, 2 2nds, and 2 3rds next year) and all of our cap room.  

12 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Going back a couple pages, I really like that we moved Thomas to Leo and AA to the big end. That is what I figured they'd do when we drafted Solomon. I was a bit surprised when we tried AA  at LEO. I hope we stick with this alignment moving forward. 

Both positions are actually what you don't want. Thomas is not a LEO, and gets no pressure coming off the edge, whether as the wide end or the strong end. In the last game, Thomas got one pressure rushing from the edge, and it was because the LT blocked our DT, and the RG picked up Thomas coming off the other side (looked like it may have been designed to work this way on the offensive side, but it's a weird blocking alignment if so). Otherwise, all of Thomas's pressure came when he was rushing a guard. The problem is we keep sticking him at end where he gets no push on passing downs, unless he's stunting inside. The second problem is his best spot in our base defense is most likely Buckner's, and Buckner's justifiably not going anywhere. And Armstead also isn't any better in either of those roles on passing downs, because he, too, is better rushing from the inside. 

The best pass-rushing group we had was having Buckner and Thomas inside, with Dumervil and Armstead rushing from the end positions (LEO and strong DE respectively). But that's an alignment where we don't have a NT and are weak defending the run.

Playing at LEO isn't necessarily going to make Thomas a better pass rusher, but he's MUCH better stopping the run at that position. It prevents him from getting double teamed which is a weakness of his. It was a weakness in college as well. 

As for generating pressure from the edge? Thomas had at least two QB hits from that spot. One was where he got to the QB at the same time Mitchell whacked Palmer. Another was early in the game, but he was going up against a TE I believe. No question he is much better rushing the passer from the inside. Something he didn't do nearly enough after Saleh mentioned it during the week. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Both positions are actually what you don't want. Thomas is not a LEO, and gets no pressure coming off the edge, whether as the wide end or the strong end. In the last game, Thomas got one pressure rushing from the edge, and it was because the LT blocked our DT, and the RG picked up Thomas coming off the other side (looked like it may have been designed to work this way on the offensive side, but it's a weird blocking alignment if so). Otherwise, all of Thomas's pressure came when he was rushing a guard. The problem is we keep sticking him at end where he gets no push on passing downs, unless he's stunting inside. The second problem is his best spot in our base defense is most likely Buckner's, and Buckner's justifiably not going anywhere. And Armstead also isn't any better in either of those roles on passing downs, because he, too, is better rushing from the inside. 

The best pass-rushing group we had was having Buckner and Thomas inside, with Dumervil and Armstead rushing from the end positions (LEO and strong DE respectively). But that's an alignment where we don't have a NT and are weak defending the run.

Meanwhile Hooker is continuing the ball hawking ability he showed at OSU with 3 ints already. That's a statistically small sample but it also happens to equal what Reid and Tartt and Bethea had between the 3 of them in all of 2015 and 2016 combined!

Archived