Build a City - Post-Draft Voting

jcrell623

Avalanche take it over Orlando for me.

I'm not going to vote on my matchup since I'm in it... which I think all 4 teams still in this round should do, you probably all know how I'd vote lol. Chicago seems to have it.

I can see the bigger names are winning people over for Chicago. I truly don't understand how you would want a 35 year old defensemen (Burns) and a guy in Gostisbehere who has had a sharp decline, while playing as a 6th/7th defensemen. Fowards on both teams are really close. I don't think the defense is even remotely close if we're looking ahead. 

1 hour ago, NickChowaniec said:

I'm not going to vote on my matchup since I'm in it... which I think all 4 teams still in this round should do, you probably all know how I'd vote lol. Chicago seems to have it.

I can see the bigger names are winning people over for Chicago. I truly don't understand how you would want a 35 year old defensemen (Burns) and a guy in Gostisbehere who has had a sharp decline, while playing as a 6th/7th defensemen. Fowards on both teams are really close. I don't think the defense is even remotely close if we're looking ahead. 

I think my offense and goaltending is significantly better. If you had a great 2nd d-pair I would say you clearly won defense, but I don't really think that's the case either with Hedman and OEL.

I will vote for the Avalanche and abstain from my matchup if Sabres are doing the same 

Edited by jcrell623

3 minutes ago, jcrell623 said:

I think my offense and goaltending is significantly better. If you had a great 2nd d-pair I would say you clearly won defense, but I don't really think that's the case either with Hedman and OEL.

I will vote for the Avalanche and abstain from my matchup if Sabres are doing the same 

Significantly better... c'mon man. In what area? Because all 3 of my centers are comparable or better than each of yours. Especially if you watched any hockey this year. Zibanejad has been a top 5 player in the league since his return while Seguin hasn't been himself all year.    

Centers: Eichel = Matthews. We could argue this one forever as Leafs/Sabres fans do, both are in the highest tier of centers to build around, no question. Mika > Seguin. Couturier >>> Hischier. I don't think this position is as close as you think. I have 3 centers who are all better two-way players as well. 

Wingers: Guentzel < Point. Rantenan > Tarasenko. Schwartz > Fiala. Forsberg > Mantha. Bjork = Zadina. Lindholm = Hertl. You can take wingers depending how you look at things. I have some younger players there with more to prove. I couple of those guys could trump yours in a year or two. In general I opted for more youth. In this breakdown, we'll give you the group.

Defensemen: Josi < Hedman... you get the edge but it's close, both are in tier 1 of defensemen (with John Carlson). Dahlin > OEL in this format. Dahlin hit 40+ points as an 18 and 19 year old. Historically great as a teenager. OEL and Dahlin had 44 points each last year, and Dahlin has outscored him by 14 points in 7 less games this year–all the while on a terrible team (each year btw).

You know how I feel about your second pairing. I'd say our first pairing is equal, but even if you were given the slight edge, I like my second pairing by a wide margin. 

Goalie: I'll give you Hellebuyck right now for sure, no question there, but I wouldn't call it significant. Blackwood hasn't had the benefit of a good team around him. He's also much younger, so you can decide how to factor that, but I think it matters in making this close.

Regardless of everything, the two teams are close. If we are picking something to help separate the two rosters you have to find a weakness, and yours is a more glaring one.

I'd be curious if anyone from the hockey section of the forum would want to weigh in, especially in the championship round.  

40 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

Significantly better... c'mon man. In what area? Because all 3 of my centers are comparable or better than each of yours. Especially if you watched any hockey this year. Zibanejad has been a top 5 player in the league since his return while Seguin hasn't been himself all year.    

Centers: Eichel = Matthews. We could argue this one forever as Leafs/Sabres fans do, both are in the highest tier of centers to build around, no question. Mika > Seguin. Couturier >>> Hischier. I don't think this position is as close as you think. I have 3 centers who are all better two-way players as well. 

Wingers: Guentzel < Point. Rantenan > Tarasenko. Schwartz > Fiala. Forsberg > Mantha. Bjork = Zadina. Lindholm = Hertl. You can take wingers depending how you look at things. I have some younger players there with more to prove. I couple of those guys could trump yours in a year or two. In general I opted for more youth. In this breakdown, we'll give you the group.

Defensemen: Josi < Hedman... you get the edge but it's close, both are in tier 1 of defensemen (with John Carlson). Dahlin > OEL in this format. Dahlin hit 40+ points as an 18 and 19 year old. Historically great as a teenager. OEL and Dahlin had 44 points each last year, and Dahlin has outscored him by 14 points in 7 less games this year–all the while on a terrible team (each year btw).

You know how I feel about your second pairing. I'd say our first pairing is equal, but even if you were given the slight edge, I like my second pairing by a wide margin. 

Goalie: I'll give you Hellebuyck right now for sure, no question there, but I wouldn't call it significant. Blackwood hasn't had the benefit of a good team around him. He's also much younger, so you can decide how to factor that, but I think it matters in making this close.

Regardless of everything, the two teams are close. If we are picking something to help separate the two rosters you have to find a weakness, and yours is a more glaring one.

I'd be curious if anyone from the hockey section of the forum would want to weigh in, especially in the championship round.  

Eichel gets slept on outside of Buffalo. You throw Eichel and Matthew's in same draft. Most GM's take Eichel. 

This comp is likely a lighter version of Crosby/Ovechkin. Both studs but Crosby the better all around talent

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Eichel gets slept on outside of Buffalo. You throw Eichel and Matthew's in same draft. Most GM's take Eichel. 

This comp is likely a lighter version of Crosby/Ovechkin. Both studs but Crosby the better all around talent

You don't have to convince me haha, I'm with you 100%. Figured it's close enough to call it equal to save the headache of arguing otherwise.

Matthews is the better goal-scorer, but beyond that I don't think he's better than Eichel at any one thing. 

6 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

You don't have to convince me haha, I'm with you 100%. Figured it's close enough to call it equal to save the headache of arguing otherwise.

Matthews is the better goal-scorer, but beyond that I don't think he's better than Eichel at any one thing. 

Speed - Eichel

Release - Eichel

Faceoff - Matthews 

Vision - Eichel 

Stick handling - Eichel

Better talent around - Matthews 

Better hockey market - Matthews 

The last 2 are the reason why common fans and media wont agree with us 

Edited by BillsGuy82
  • Like 1

For me I think buffalo Chicago is close 

I love the fit of the Chicago first line, names or not they are all extremely productive guys.  I do like the Buffalo second string slightly better but it's very close.  I'm not gonna pretend to know enough about hockey to judge that third line though Chicago appear more productive 

Defense I love Hedman so that's a win for Buffalo but I'll give Chicago the other starter edge as dahlin is quite good.  I'll go with hockey guys observation on second string defense and say Buffalo is better there though that's more guesswork on my part. 

So for me I got it virtually tied, slight lean on Buffalo headed into goalies where I was think even buffalo gm would admit he's beat there.   I put double essence on goaltending, obviously as the first to draft one I back up my talk. 

Not an easy choice but I'd take Chicago in seven.  I'll abstain unless needed from my own match-up 

4 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

Now you know how I felt last round lol. But I kinda figured that with the voting group not really knowing hockey, bigger names would win. I got the votes I was looking for, like the ones from you, Billsguy, Ray... guys who watch a ton of hockey and actually know the sport. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Now you know how I felt last round lol. But I kinda figured that with the voting group not really knowing hockey, bigger names would win. I got the votes I was looking for, like the ones from you, Billsguy, Ray... guys who watch a ton of hockey and actually know the sport. 

I had Tampa as the 1B overall. Great team that deserved a better fate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I had Tampa as the 1B overall. Great team that deserved a better fate

100% agree. I wasn't looking forward to a potential matchup against you, I think you could've taken the entire thing. 

• Like 1