Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Kiltman

On 10/20/2017 at 1:27 PM, The Gnat said:

He's...a little off the mark and a little over the top in his descriptions there.

For one, the ability he's referencing is called "Worse than death," and it's an end game ability. Like you unlock it at the very end of one of the major quest lines. I'm like level 40 and just got it. You can turn off the ability once you have it. You can choose not to use the ability. And if you do, the game acknowledges that it's a little unsettling. You use it at the end of that quest line and some of your allies comment on the fact that you're cruel or a little messed up for it. I used it once for an achievement and then swapped it for another form of the ability because the one he's referring to really isn't useful anyway.

And the game never really pretends you're a hero. The first one didn't either. It's very much a, the ends justify the means, duo of characters. You basically are Sauron, just fighting against Sauron. You use all his same tactics and methods, you're just not killing men, dwarves, elves, or hobbits. But the game never really pretends you're purely good. Celebrimbor is pretty clearly kind of a psychopath. And Talion allows and aids it.

The orcs really aren't THAT human. They have funny characters and some neat bits of dialogue and stuff, but there's literally a potential orc that just shouts "I don't know!" all the time, and another that goes on and on about how things are tasty. You really don't get much humanlike connection from them. I have some personal favorites from my game, but that has more to do with them being ridiculously overpowered than them having personality. There's really not enough character there for any of them to be cared about. 

@Jakuvious that is interesting to know. The article was a conversation for some friends of mine for a while and I was curious to know more about it because with how the article is written is it clearly skipping some stuff. It was good to find out that it is something that is more selective than what the article made it sound like. It seems weird that it's even in there, but also interesting how it was talked about in the article.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2017 at 3:13 PM, Jakuvious said:

He's...a little off the mark and a little over the top in his descriptions there.

For one, the ability he's referencing is called "Worse than death," and it's an end game ability. Like you unlock it at the very end of one of the major quest lines. I'm like level 40 and just got it. You can turn off the ability once you have it. You can choose not to use the ability. And if you do, the game acknowledges that it's a little unsettling. You use it at the end of that quest line and some of your allies comment on the fact that you're cruel or a little messed up for it. I used it once for an achievement and then swapped it for another form of the ability because the one he's referring to really isn't useful anyway.

And the game never really pretends you're a hero. The first one didn't either. It's very much a, the ends justify the means, duo of characters. You basically are Sauron, just fighting against Sauron. You use all his same tactics and methods, you're just not killing men, dwarves, elves, or hobbits. But the game never really pretends you're purely good. Celebrimbor is pretty clearly kind of a psychopath. And Talion allows and aids it.

The orcs really aren't THAT human. They have funny characters and some neat bits of dialogue and stuff, but there's literally a potential orc that just shouts "I don't know!" all the time, and another that goes on and on about how things are tasty. You really don't get much humanlike connection from them. I have some personal favorites from my game, but that has more to do with them being ridiculously overpowered than them having personality. There's really not enough character there for any of them to be cared about. 

Seems more dramatic for the story. Almost like he had the idea of the story before even playing the game. The orcs are more like dogs than humans. I have a couple favorites that I would be sad to see die and I do my best to keep them alive and I have a couple enemies that I want to kill but have failed time and time again but to say I feel "Bad" for any of them would be taking it pretty far and shutting off the game because he can't take enslaving virtual orcs? What kind of sally  is he? 

On 10/23/2017 at 3:27 PM, The Gnat said:

@Jakuvious that is interesting to know. The article was a conversation for some friends of mine for a while and I was curious to know more about it because with how the article is written is it clearly skipping some stuff. It was good to find out that it is something that is more selective than what the article made it sound like. It seems weird that it's even in there, but also interesting how it was talked about in the article.

The skill lowers the level of the grunt but also has a chance to either drive the orc insane or turn it into a maniac. I like the mechanic because you would think literally taking over the mind of another human or creature may have a small chance of back firing in some way. 

On 11/1/2017 at 10:46 AM, Herbie_Hancock said:

How's everyone doin? Lis earlier, been taking my time and completing a lot of the side stuff (haven't been able to play a lot because of crazy work schedule lately). I just finished the mission where we save the general at the camp. 

I haven't played much either, I'm doing the missions to get my guy stronger. Last night I did a mission and I ended up defeating 2 bosses. One was a level 17 and it took forever to beat him. I finally did it tho. I'm having fun with it so far. I'm gonna play tonight again.

14 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Is this all online or is there a good solo campaign too?

Thinkint about buying the first and ripping through the main story as quick as I can then grabbing the 2nd one and hopping in 

There isn't anything really online. However, you can avenge players who also play, who have been killed by captains and by doing so, you receive "loot boxes". 

And the solo campaign is phenomenal. Highly recommend and I'm not much for any games besides sports games and zombies. 

Archived