Nick's All-NFL Rebuild Draft - Discussion Thread

Nick

4 hours ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I took Peters as a one year guy for Wills to learn behind lol. I think he’s still a servicable LT in the league. I don’t think it’s that big a deal.

Okay, but...why can't Fisher do the same thing while remaining a long-term option to start if Wills doesn't pan out.

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Okay, but...why can't Fisher do the same thing while remaining a long-term option to start if Wills doesn't pan out.

Because I can find another tackle to be a reserve later, and I took Wills early with the plan of him being the cornerstone of the line once Martin starts to decline. And I think learning from a future HOF is pretty valuable. And Eric Fisher was not someone I wanted.

1 minute ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

Because I can find another tackle to be a reserve later, and I took Wills early with the plan of him being the cornerstone of the line once Martin starts to decline. And I think learning from a future HOF is pretty valuable. And Eric Fisher was not someone I wanted.

I don't understand the implication that Fisher can't be a mentor.

I do think you're overrating the value of Peters being on the roster for young guys. That's a coach's job, and frankly, I haven't seen anything suggesting Peters is looking to mentor anybody IRL.

Just now, Blue said:

I don't understand the implication that Fisher can't be a mentor.

I do think you're overrating the value of Peters being on the roster for young guys. That's a coach's job, and frankly, I haven't seen anything suggesting Peters is looking to mentor anybody IRL.

I mean if we’re going to assume Peters won’t do what most veterans do for younger players we can assume many different things throughout this draft.

i don’t like Fisher as a player therefore I don’t want him on the roster for 2-3-4-5 years, however long.

And I still think Peters is a serviceable offensive tackle in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, Tyronnosaurus said:

I mean if we’re going to assume Peters won’t do what most veterans do for younger players we can assume many different things throughout this draft.

i don’t like Fisher as a player therefore I don’t want him on the roster for 2-3-4-5 years, however long.

And I still think Peters is a serviceable offensive tackle in the NFL. 

I don't think that's actually true based on what former players have said. I mean, Brett Favre and Joe Flacco explicitly said they weren't there to mentor their young backups, and I know I've seen other players issue a similar "why would I help the guy taking my job" mentality.

I mean, I don't love him either but he's a quality starting tackle with (likely) several years left as a starter.

I think so too, but I think there are plenty of left tackles in the league who would get calls before Peters if they became available and Fisher is definitely one of them.

Edited by Blue

3 minutes ago, Blue said:

I don't think that's actually true based on what former players have said. I mean, Brett Favre and Joe Flacco explicitly said they weren't there to mentor their young backups, and I know I've seen other players issue a similar "why would I help the guy taking my job" mentality.

I mean, I don't love him either but he's a quality starting tackle with (likely) several years left as a starter.

I think so too, but I think there are plenty of left tackles in the league who would get calls before Peters if they became available and Fisher is definitely one of them.

All that’s fair. And I don’t literally mean a 24/7 mentor who goes with him everywhere. Just someone to watch and learn from in practice.

• Like 1

Just now, Tyronnosaurus said:

And watch him retire tomorrow.

How does that work? If someone drafted retires or has a career ending injury before we sim, do we just re-pick in their place?

I would say no.  That's the risk of an old player.

• Like 2