Training Camp

turtle28

7 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I haven't followed along through the pages, has anyone mentioned how Dwayne Haskins looks during camp? I know he has worked hard all offseason, but is it translating to the field?

Haskins got one tweet from JP Finaly, Alex Smith got 5 & a video clip.

Edited by turtle28

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I mean for real.

I get the sentiment why, but he really actually does need to get hit. For his own mental well-being on the field, he has to overcome the moment of collision and pop back up. The last time he got hit was disastrous for him. He needs it.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I get the sentiment why, but he really actually does need to get hit. For his own mental well-being on the field, he has to overcome the moment of collision and pop back up. The last time he got hit was disastrous for him. He needs it.

Very true, I just don’t want to see it. I can’t  watch it. Maybe he needs to have our lightest DB (Stroman?) or the QB coach take him over to a padded exercise mat and tackle him. That way he’ll get it out of his system.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Very true, I just don’t want to see it. I can’t  watch it. Maybe he needs to have our lightest DB (Stroman?) or the QB coach take him over to a padded exercise mat and tackle him. That way he’ll get it out of his system.

I like that idea. I'd prefer Smith 1st hit not come by a opposing team compared to his Own Competitive Defense. Take a Sack by this front 4 and see how he recovers, then take it from there. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Apparently Marcus Baugh is getting attention at camp as TE2. Who would have thought? 
This TE Competition is going to be interesting. 
How many will they keep? 4?

Logan Thomas/Marcus Baugh/Thad Moss/J Sprinkle/H Hentges/R Rodgers 

I won’t say I predicted it but, I will say that he was in Carolina last year and he knows the offense. As I said in another post, he was a good TE at Ohio State but he was mostly just used as a blocker bc Urban Meyer’s offense at Ohio State didn’t utilize TEs in the passing game very often, despite there being 5 former Ohio State TEs in the NFL right now.

I think we keep 4 TEs. I’ve said all along I thought Rogers could be the starter but if he’s not, he probably won’t make the team bc the other TEs we have are 26 (Sprinkle) or younger but the perceived starter Logan Thomas.

I guess if I had to guess right now it’s:

1. Logan Thomas

2. Marcus Baugh

3. Jeremy Sprinkle

4. Thad Moss

PS: Hale Hentges 

Edited by turtle28

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/5-washington-players-earning-rave-reviews-at-training-camp/

The cancellation of the preseason games hurts just about everybody rookies, undrafted players 2nd stringers  fighting for a starting spot.  I think the biggest question is how will ours Skins (oops) football team adjust to this very unique circumstance.  Nevertheless I am really excited about our transition to a youthful team.

6 hours ago, 4209 said:

https://washingtonfootballwire.usatoday.com/lists/5-washington-players-earning-rave-reviews-at-training-camp/

The cancellation of the preseason games hurts just about everybody rookies, undrafted players 2nd stringers  fighting for a starting spot.  I think the biggest question is how will ours Skins (oops) football team adjust to this very unique circumstance.  Nevertheless I am really excited about our transition to a youthful team.

I’ve said all along that these guy said will show in practice, and that will determine who makes it. We don’t see the practices, but obviously the coaches do, so even in normal times with preseason the practices may mean more, they’d did for Steven Sims last year. 

Finding any tight end in Washington who can step up and give some productive snaps is going to be huge, and the fact that there as been some buzz about Marcus Baugh thus far is highly encouraging. The former Ohio State player is yet to take any real snaps in the NFL, but he has been getting a major workload thus far in training camp, and he seems to be doing well with the reps that he’s given.

With Logan Thomas seeming to hold onto the TE1 role so far in training camp, Baugh is a big name to watch going forward as the rest of the depth chart at that position shakes out.

GERON CHRISTIAN

One of the most important position battles to watch throughout this training camp will be at left tackle, where there are a handful of different players who will be vying for the starting spot. Ron Rivera noted on Tuesday that not much should be taken away from who is running with the starting offense this early in camp, but we’ve seen Geron Christian called upon for that role twice now, and he seems to be doing well with it.

Of course, it has to be mentioned that rookie LT Saahdiq Charles, who Washington drafted in the fourth round earlier this year, has yet to suit up for padded practices because of a minor undisclosed injury, but these early reps for Christian are going to be incredibly valuable for him to gain trust with the offense going forward.

BRYCE LOVE

With the release of Derrius Guice earlier this month, Bryce Love has stepped up into the defacto RB2 role in Washington, behind Adrian Peterson. On Wednesday, AP got a veteran’s day off, and Love was called upon to shoulder the load with the first team. According to reports from practice, he did well in this position, providing some explosion out of the backfield and an ability to catch passes when Dwayne Haskins checked down to him. Ron Rivera went on to tell the media how impressed he was with Love, who he said could be an ‘every down back’ going forward.

Edited by turtle28

5 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Apparently Marcus Baugh is getting attention at camp as TE2. Who would have thought? 
This TE Competition is going to be interesting. 
How many will they keep? 4?

Logan Thomas/Marcus Baugh/Thad Moss/J Sprinkle/H Hentges/R Rodgers 

If your last name is Baugh, you're automatically awesome.

• Like 3

‪Training Camp Daily 8/19: Guard Wes Martin Benefits From Facing Top-Notch Competition of the DL. Geron Christian catching coaches eye at LT.
https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/training-camp-daily-8-19-wes-martin-benefits-top-notch-competition-washington‬

Wes Martin is competing to start at left guard, and what better way to win the job than to excel against the Washington Football Team's young and talented defensive line?

"Those are great reps to have," Martin told Senior Vice President of Media and Content Julie Donaldson on Tuesday. "Those are great looks to see for sure getting ready for Week 1."

A fourth-round pick in 2019, Martin appeared in nine games as a rookie and started five at right guard in place of the then-injured Brandon Scherff. Martin said working with the first-team offensive line was an invaluable experience he's taken into this year's training camp, where he's been the starting left guard for the first two padded practices.

"There's little things here and there, small technique things," Martin said about what he wants to improve on. "There's always little things to fine-tune and get better at. Those things are always going to be there, so just have to keep working to fine-tune them."

Geron Christian Sr. has gotten the coaches' attention: Working next to Martin is Geron Christian Sr., who has been the starting left tackle since padded practices began.

"The biggest thing with Geron more so than anything else is that he's an athletic football player," Rivera said. "He moves very well. He's a smart, young man who's picked things up very nicely. He just hasn't had a chance to play a lot of football, so we're really interested in watching him, especially if he's going to play and participate and do some of the things he's done. He's done some really good things. He's caught our eye. He's caught our attention."

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Jordan Brailford is one of the players getting rave reviews. I guess it doesn’t hurt that Sam Mills III coached him at the 2019 East/West Shrine Game. He had a very nice game, was able to get to the QB, very impressive. 

Anderson vs Brailford vs Odom vs Williams-Smith for that last DE spot is a good competition. My guess is Anderson gets it, Odom is cut and the other two go on the practice squad but, Odom has the experience while Brailford has the connection to Mills & Rivera/Kyle just drafted James Williams-Smith, so it will be interesting to see who gets that spot.

Great to hear G Christian is doing well and not showing to be a complete bust ! Obviously an important spot we need a decent to good to above average player. He's a technique guy , not strength. Always worry him being bull rushed unless he's bulk up some ! Also, Brailford -been wondering how he's coming along. Tough row to hoe for him , we're so crowed at his spot . !

• Like 1