Colin Kaepernick on the Patriots: Is he a better option than Jarrett Stidham?

DoleINGout

At this point Studham, excuse me, Stidham has a year of experience in the Patriots system which we all know is valuable. Josh McDaniels runs a very complicated offensive scheme and chemistry is something naturally developed over time.

The Patriots currently have the least amount of cap space in the NFL but shouldn't they take a shot on Kaepernick? The cost wouldn't be outlandish by any means, and to be honest, the Patriots don't have many proven options. Public perception of Boston sports teams and the Patriots in general isn't good when it comes to race relations, but that is a topic for a different forum obviously.

Could the Patriots win enough with Colin Kaepernick to make it to the playoffs with essentially the team team as last year? What if Kaepernick makes the roster but doesn't start ahead of Stidham or Hoyer - what does that mean for his future job prospects?

Personally I think it has a chance of happening at some point but only if/when Stidham and Hoyer struggle. With Kaepernick and the Patriots defense + run-oriented offense I think they would win a minimum of 8 games with him as the full time starter.

This is rare for FF:  I have no idea.

I don't know how good JS is, or will be. I don't know how good CK would be, if he'd fit into our system. I scarcely remember how good he was when he played tbh. 

I'd go with no because he seemed to be a QB that bailed quickly in progressions, and given our WR aren't known for their separation at this stage, it would be a bit of a disaster. Still though, don't know how JS will do.

I think Belicheck and McDaniels could modify an offense to play to Kaepernick's strengths. 

McDaniels was able to get an offense in place for Tim Tebow, so there's some creativity to be had. 

• Like 4

He hasn't played since January 1, 2017.

He hasn't been an effective starter since the last quarter of 2014. 5-21 as the starter since week 13 of that season.

You can't just simply "modify" the playbook with him as the starter; Belichick and McDaniels would have to completely tailor it to him.

And do you honestly think someone who is as media-adverse as Belichick is going to bring him in, even at vet minimum?

Yeah, I don't think so. Anyone who keeps clamoring for teams to sign this clown needs to get a clue.

Before anyone uses the "he was decent in 2016 with a bad supporting cast!" argument, being merely decent is not nearly worth the drama he brings to the table.

Edited by $andtrap
  • Like 6

He has become very overrated, but likely would be a better option than any other guys that NE has. But, I am not sure that NE wants to win this year, going into the season with a middling sophmore QB and avoiding drafting anyone in 2020 indicates to me that they are throwing this season away to tank for Trevor. Kap could be good enough to ruin that plan, but almost certainly isnt good enough to move the needle in the playoffs in a meaningful way. 

It is funny that the atmosphere in this nation has flipped so much in the past 14 days that whomever signs Kap is likley getting a revenue boost rather than a revenue loss. He may be a prudent financial singing at this point. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Colin Kaepernick was pretty bad by 2016.  He had a great 2012 and he seemingly regressed every year. 

He was fine in 2016, particularly given the roster he was working with, but he was not very good at all the two years preceding it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was fine in 2016, particularly given the roster he was working with, but he was not very good at all the two years preceding it. 

Nah, he sucked even then.

Statistically he looked fine, but that was due to being in garbage time a lot.

He had his time in the sun and burnt his bridges.

Edited by $andtrap

Just now, $andtrap said:

Nah, he sucked.

Statistically he looked fine, but that was due to being in garbage time a lot.

He had his time in the sun and burnt his bridges.

He was fine. The roster was pretty brutal and possibly the worst in the NFL that year on offense. There's only so much he can do with that.

He's not a good quarterback, passing..you're banking on his running game compensating for his inadequacies as a passer. When you combine bottom third passing with that kind of running maybe you get a guy who is middle of the road / slightly below middle road in actual effectiveness. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

He was fine. The roster was pretty brutal and possibly the worst in the NFL that year on offense. There's only so much he can do with that.

He's not a good quarterback, passing..you're banking on his running game compensating for his inadequacies as a passer. When you combine bottom third passing with that kind of running maybe you get a guy who is middle of the road / slightly below middle road in actual effectiveness. 

And Blaine Gabbert doesn't get the same pass???