Notable Stats

HTTRDynasty

Edge defenders aren’t supposed to step into the NFL and perform at an elite level in their first season, but nobody told Bosa that — his 80 regular-season pressures were more than any rookie since the PFF era began in 2006 and were good enough to rank 6th among all defenders last season, tied with the human outlier Aaron Donald. Bosa’s 17.2% pressure rate was fourth among all players with 250 or more pass-rushing snaps on the season, as well. 

USATSI_13775106.jpg?w=956&h=538

• Like 1

Highest Two-Year Checkdown Rates | 2018-19
Rank Player Tot. Attempts Checkdowns Checkdown %
1 Blake Bortles 421 56 13.3%
2 Mason Rudolph 305 32 10.5%
3 Derek Carr 1119 115 10.3%
4 Gardner Minshew 506 51 10.1%
5 Philip Rivers 1266 121 9.6%
6 Eli Manning 759 72 9.5%
7 Deshaun Watson 1201 107 8.9%
8 Alex Smith 345 30 8.7%
9 Case Keenum 899 75 8.3%
10 Andrew Luck 748 61

8.2%

Lowest Two-Year Checkdown Rates | 2018-19
1 Josh Allen 880 20 2.3%
2 Patrick Mahomes 1360 45 3.3%
3 Mitchell Trubisky 1065 37 3.5%
4 Kyler Murray 575 22 3.8%
5 Sam Darnold 903 37 4.1%
6 Carson Wentz 1073 45 4.2%
7 Daniel Jones 493 21 4.3%
8 Jimmy Garoppolo 667 30 4.5%
9 Lamar Jackson 695 32 4.6%
10 Baker Mayfield 1104 53 4.8%
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:39 AM, Hunter2_1 said:
Highest Two-Year Checkdown Rates | 2018-19
1 Blake Bortles 421 56 13.3%
2 Mason Rudolph 305 32 10.5%
3 Derek Carr 1119 115 10.3%
4 Gardner Minshew 506 51 10.1%
5 Philip Rivers 1266 121 9.6%
6 Eli Manning 759 72 9.5%
7 Deshaun Watson 1201 107 8.9%
8 Alex Smith 345 30 8.7%
9 Case Keenum 899 75 8.3%
10 Andrew Luck 748 61

8.2%

1 Josh Allen 880 20 2.3%

Odd that a lot of qbs that checkdown at a high rate don’t have very good receiving backs and vice versa.  

The only surprise to me on either list is Watson.  He doesn’t seem to check down to often when I’ve watched him. In fact, it seemed like he should’ve dumped it off to Duke more than he did last season.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:48 AM, N4L said:

This chart is significantly screwed up

There is just no way on earth that the Arizona cardinals had the best pass protection in the NFL last year. Their OL was better and tackling Kyler is like trying to tackle smoke, but their pass protection being #1 in the NFL by a significant margin?? no way. 

I agree. Their run-blocking was much more impressive. DJ Humphries was the best run-blocking left tackle by a mile if you look at the success rate running to the left side, and he was even more impressive with the eye test. In pass pro, however, he was just solid. Justin Pugh was also solid in the pass and strong in the run. AQ Shipley had some issues. He no longer has his trademark mobility as an undersized center. Pretty much only played because of his experience and the fact that Cole was hurt/sucks and Lamont Galliard was a sixth-round rookie. JR Sweezy was also a liability in pass pro. Much better run-blocking. Justin Murray was a very mixed bag. He was awful at times, but also had several games where he looked like the future at right tackle. 

There's no way on the planet that the Cards were better than 12 in pass pro. I'd guess that they were the 16th-best pass-blocking team, very slightly on the positive side of average, and probably around 8th-best run-blocking. 

On 6/10/2020 at 8:31 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Kyler and Drew. I don't care what the grade says. I watched every game for every rookie and those two showed the best skill-set. All five were promising. Minshew has arm limitations and is hyper-aggressive, but he's also very accurate. Daniel Jones lacked the "it" factor and had too many turnovers, but showed good mobility and the ability to be accurate at all three levels of the field. Murray elevated his offense. Watch the tape. His deep ball is amazing. His arm strength is really nice. His mobility is out of this world. He doesn't have flaws from a skill-set point of view. He needs to become more of a finisher in the red zone, though. And I'm someone who actively hated the Kyler Murray pick. Drew Lock showed plenty of potential. He has an "A" arm, and validated the analytics that said that his deep passing ability was the best in this class. He also has really nice mobility. He has a gun-slinger mentality, and he can put a little too much oomph on short passes, but his development as an intermediate passer hint that he's at the very least a better version of Josh Allen as a passer. Slightly weaker arm, supremely better touch deep downfield. Dwayne Haskins showed improvement as the season went on, but he looked completely lost at times and relied on his cast moreso than any other QB in this class. I will say that Daniel Jones showed poise and some ability to help his receivers. His connection with Darius Slayton is a prime example. He has the potential to develop some "it," but it's more liable to be the Eli brand than the Mahomes brand. 

• Like 2

On 6/11/2020 at 3:46 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

This one seems much more accurate.

Rams starting LBs have been destroyed against the run but have been pretty good in coverage since 2015 (Littleton, Ogletree, and Barron). Their corners have been generally strong. Marcus Peters WAS good for them. He just got gashed on a few bad plays, but people act like he was bad on every play. He allowed only a handful of catches in a year and a half. The issue is that every catch was for like 49 yards. Aqib Talib had a strong year in 2018. Kayvon Webster was a solid starter in 2017. NRC, meanwhile, was one of the league's top nickel corners for several years. Troy Hill was starting-caliber depth. Trumaine Johnson wasn't good enough to get a record contract, but he was a legitimate starting corner. They even had Prime Jackrabbit Jenkins. Good secondary, good coverage LBs, bad issues against the run with Michael Brockers being more of a space-eater than someone who obliterates blockers, Robert Quinn and Williams Hayes being pass-rush only, and Dante Fowler being more of the same. Samson Ebukam has been good against the run, and AD is a beast, but when you only have 2-3 guys who can hold up against the run, you're having issues. Lamarcus Joyner is a glorified slot corner ONLY.

The Cardinals' main pass rusher from 2015-present have been Chandler Jones and I think Calais Campbell is second in sacks on the Cardinals since 2015. They also have had a huge void across from Patrick Peterson since the dawn of time. Teams have pretty much just avoided Patty P and done decently against the pass. Guys like Deone Buccannon, Budda Baker, Tre Boston, Tony Jefferson, and Antoine Bethea have had good years, but never at the same time. Honey Badger was incredible but unavailable. Meanwhile, the Cards have had quality presences in run defense like Jones, Campbell, Corey Peters, Frostee Rucker, Rodney Gunter, Zach Allen. Even Haason Reddick and Kevin Minter have been strong against the run for long stretches. 

The Texans have been the best team against the run off-and-on for a long time. They're also solid against the pass. Jadeveon is the best run-stopping edge in the league. Brennan Scarlett and Whitney Mercilus are both well-rounded edge defenders. Bernardrick McKinney, Zach Cunningham, and Brian Cushing have all been very stout against the run. Vince Wilfork and DJ Reader have both been elite nose tackles.

The Saints ranking ALSO makes sense. I mean, they were historically the worst team in NFL history against the pass in both 2015 and 2016. Even in 2017, they were much-improved and yet they still were below-average. Marshon Lattimore and Marcus Wiiams have been a godsend for that defense. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 3:39 AM, Hunter2_1 said:
1 Josh Allen 880 20 2.3%

@Matts4313 you like stats to pimp QBs? Here ya go buddy. Despite the fact he was throwing to trashcans most of 2019.

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

What do you mean by this?

Don't worry, I'm not hating on him. I mean functioning within the structure of the play and structure of the offense. Also, Haskins, at his best towards the end of the season, was an efficient distributor of the football, in my opinion. More Jared Goff than Alex Smith, certainly, but not someone who was making plays by himself. Luckily, Scary Terry is a Redskin and legitimate weapon for Haskins to continue building a relationship with. Haskins DID show flashes of being able to roll out of the pocket and make improvised strikes down the seam, but I was just stating that he did it less than the other QBs in the class and functioned more within the structure of an offense that wasn't doing him favors for much of the year. He didn't do as much creating and improvising as the other rookies, but to be fair, he had less playing time than all except for Lock, and Lock was maybe a little TOO eager to try to make plays. Haskins is the youngest of the bunch, too, so his ceiling is still very high, and he has arguably the most-reliable right arm of the bunch. He developed as the season progressed, so that is also a plus. But he definitely wasn't playing like Minshew where he was making something out of nothing on most plays. It's just something that's hard to describe and really needs to be seen to understand the comparison. But players like Goff and Haskins contrast starkly with players like Keenum and Minshew. Goff and Haskins can take you anywhere with even just a solid supporting cast. On a bad team, though, I'm taking the guys who are comfortable outside of the pocket and unafraid to challenge defenses when they know that their guy isn't going to just beat up on the competition. And maybe we'll see Haskins to continue to progress into that type of QB. Right now, though, Goff is my most comfortable comparison for him. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Danger said:

@Matts4313 you like stats to pimp QBs? Here ya go buddy. Despite the fact he was throwing to trashcans most of 2019.

I still can't believe the love that JJAW got around here and on most scouting networks. When are NFL teams going to learn to just listen to my WR evaluations and take my word as gospel? I jest, of course. It DOES seem like teams get caught up in hype more than film, though. Or like every year they feel like they should boost a Pac-12 WR for old time's sake or something. Not saying all Pac-12 WRs are bad, because that would obviously be false. I'm simply saying that people seem to feel like they HAVE to hype up at least one from the PAC-12 every year, even when they don't project very well to the pros. Like, come on. Kelvin Harmon and Anthony Johnson went where they did, and JJAW went round 2? Ridiculous. 

Guys like AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel, and DK Metcalf were LIGHT-YEARS ahead of JJ as prospects and went in a comparable range. 

12 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I still can't believe the love that JJAW got around here and on most scouting networks. When are NFL teams going to learn to just listen to my WR evaluations and take my word as gospel? I jest, of course. It DOES seem like teams get caught up in hype more than film, though. Or like every year they feel like they should boost a Pac-12 WR for old time's sake or something. Not saying all Pac-12 WRs are bad, because that would obviously be false. I'm simply saying that people seem to feel like they HAVE to hype up at least one from the PAC-12 every year, even when they don't project very well to the pros. Like, come on. Kelvin Harmon and Anthony Johnson went where they did, and JJAW went round 2? Ridiculous. 

Guys like AJ Brown, Terry McLaurin, Deebo Samuel, and DK Metcalf were LIGHT-YEARS ahead of JJ as prospects and went in a comparable range. 

I originally had JJ as a 3rd rounder, but allowed others to talk me into elevating him to a 2nd rounder leading up to the draft. Can't remember who I talked with about in their mock and said JJ in the 2nd was a big reach. Metcalf and Brown both as 1sts. Hakeem Butler was my WR3, and Hollywood Brown WR4. Big drop off after that for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

And I remember seeing similar stats a few years ago - the teams that use the most motion are more successful. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a constant observation.

Reminds me of feints in combat sports. Not a prerequisite for winning- obviously, but a tool that significantly increases your chances of success should you effectively make use of them.

On 6/15/2020 at 5:36 AM, DreamKid said:

Reminds me of feints in combat sports. Not a prerequisite for winning- obviously, but a tool that significantly increases your chances of success should you effectively make use of them.

The Rams notably were top-3 in the league in pre-snap motion in both 2017 and 2018. They were much lower in 2019.