Browns General Discussion

candyman93

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Plenty of qbs have had terrible HCs and OCs and still looked at least decent. It’s been 3 years since his rookie year he’s not that player. The league figured out he can’t look beyond his second option and he is terrible under pressure and isn’t good in the pocket. The bengals are a terrible team. No one should be judged base off what they do against them. 

I narrowed my assessment to ball placement. He was unreal, I agree he has problems, but with good coaching I think they are able to be overcome. 

No one has done well after the Hue Jackson treatment, hogan, out of the league, Kessler, out of the league, kizer, out of the league. 

Also you are excluding some of his games from early last year, Seahawks and ravens.he was accurate and decisive. He was the last qb to out dual lamar jackson, the league mvp, untill the playoffs. 

Scrub midget is a simple minded analysis.

5 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I narrowed my assessment to ball placement. He was unreal, I agree he has problems, but with good coaching I think they are able to be overcome. 

No one has done well after the Hue Jackson treatment, hogan, out of the league, Kessler, out of the league, kizer, out of the league. 

Also you are excluding some of his games from early last year, Seahawks and ravens.he was accurate and decisive. He was the last qb to out dual lamar jackson, the league mvp, untill the playoffs. 

Scrub midget is a simple minded analysis.

Like i said. His good games are few and far between. Nick foles out dueled a few star qbs too and he’s nothing special. It’s easy to have good ball placement when the competition is terrible with no pass rush and bad corners. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321

21 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Like i said. His good games are few and far between. Nick foles out dueled a few star qbs too and he’s nothing special. It’s easy to have good ball placement when the competition is terrible with no pass rush and bad corners. 

Then why doesnt everyone do it? 

57 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If baker played for any other team no one would be defending his below average play. You’re suppose to grow after your rookie year not peak. It’s like RG3 without the injuries. 

You don't think any Eagle fans still believe in Wentz? It's nothing like RGIII. RGIII needed the gimmick, much like Lamar does. Baker needs a system in which he can thrive, it's being built. Last year was a wasted year. Baker is an uptempo timing QB not a 7 step drop (or shotgun equivalent) and wait in the pocket QB.

50 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Well in your opinion are there even any good QBs in the league? I couldn't see you being happy if we had any QB.

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Baker has 3 giant TEs and can barely throw for 200 yards. 

Uh, The Browns pass less than 28 of the other teams, of course he isn't going to have a lot of 300 yard games.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You don't think any Eagle fans still believe in Wentz? It's nothing like RGIII. RGIII needed the gimmick, much like Lamar does. Baker needs a system in which he can thrive, it's being built. Last year was a wasted year. Baker is an uptempo timing QB not a 7 step drop (or shotgun equivalent) and wait in the pocket QB.

Well in your opinion are there even any good QBs in the league? I couldn't see you being happy if we had any QB.

Uh, The Browns pass less than 28 of the other teams, of course he isn't going to have a lot of 300 yard games.

Baker was good 3 years ago and had one good game against a good team over a year ago. I need more than that. Beating the Bengals and cowboys terrible defense doesn’t make him special. I’d be happy with a qb who didn’t need a special system tailored to them to succeed. Most good qbs have systems built to highlight their strengths. Baker needs a system to hide his weaknesses. 

and yeah the reason the browns don’t pass a lot is because they can’t trust baker to win them a game. We seen what happened last year when baker had to throw a lot. 

Edited by sdrawkcab321
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Baker was good 3 years ago and had one good game against a good team over a year ago. I need more than that. Beating the Bengals and cowboys terrible defense doesn’t make him special. I’d be happy with a qb who didn’t need a special system tailored to them to succeed. Most good qbs have systems built to highlight their strengths. Baker needs a system to hide his weaknesses. 

and yeah the reason the browns don’t pass a lot is because they can’t trust baker to win them a game. We seen what happened last year when baker had to throw a lot. 

Baker has been inconsistent this year and poor against 2/3 good teams and up and down vs the colts, he still has a lot to prove. 

By in large most of last year and especially the last 8 games dont hold much weight of value, Freddie was terrible. 

However he has shown the capacity to learn. 

All qbs are system qbs with the exception of maybe Andrew Luck. Baker has some special qualities in my opinion, his accuracy is top 5 in the nfl, and his arm is as good as anyone not named mahomes or allen. I think we are going to see more good Baker in the last half of the year. The last two weeks have not been games where he gets to show much, the same for this weeks possibly at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Baker has been inconsistent this year and poor against 2/3 good teams and up and down vs the colts, he still has a lot to prove. 

By in large most of last year and especially the last 8 games dont hold much weight of value, Freddie was terrible. 

However he has shown the capacity to learn. 

All qbs are system qbs with the exception of maybe Andrew Luck. Baker has some special qualities in my opinion, his accuracy is top 5 in the nfl, and his arm is as good as anyone not named mahomes or allen. I think we are going to see more good Baker in the last half of the year. The last two weeks have not been games where he gets to show much, the same for this weeks possibly at the moment.

Where are you getting that he’s in the top 5 in accuracy? He’s 29th in completion %. 

25 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Where are you getting that he’s in the top 5 in accuracy? He’s 29th in completion %. 

He isn't top 5 in accuracy (comp % isn't a telltale stat for that though) but he certainly has the ability to be. He is very accurate when he is comfortable... as most good QBs are. He has some recovering yet to do from last year's terrible tackle play in pass pro. You don't begin to trust again overnight and I think he is getting there.

Last years system combined with last years tackles were a negative for his progression. Was a stupid idea. He is still working to get past that regression which wasn't his fault.

• Like 2

I feel like if you're ready to move on from Baker at this juncture you're delusional.  It would be so much easier to see how he does in year 2 of the same system than rolling the dice on QBs like we've done for 20 years.  At the same time "Baker needs to play better" and "we have to find another QB" can be two separate conversations.  The latter I agree with, he hasn't been good, but I thought he was steady the last 2 games given the conditions.

I think it would be easier to find 5 more pieces on defense than to find another guy at QB.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

He isn't top 5 in accuracy (comp % isn't a telltale stat for that though) but he certainly has the ability to be. He is very accurate when he is comfortable... as most good QBs are. He has some recovering yet to do from last year's terrible tackle play in pass pro. You don't begin to trust again overnight and I think he is getting there.

Last years system combined with last years tackles were a negative for his progression. Was a stupid idea. He is still working to get past that regression which wasn't his fault.

I agree completion % isn’t everything and baker can be accurate at times but I’m just saying he’s far from a top 5 accurate qb. You can’t be in the bottom 5 in completion % and be a top 5 accurate qb. 

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I meant his ability to place a  ball where he wants it. At times it is incredible. 

His completion percentage isnt that stood, but, he has had to contest with a lot of drops. Vs the raiders his on target completion percentage was 70% but that was mitigated by a number of drops. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I agree completion % isn’t everything and baker can be accurate at times but I’m just saying he’s far from a top 5 accurate qb. You can’t be in the bottom 5 in completion % and be a top 5 accurate qb. 

Top 5 was an overstatement, however his accuracy can be excellent. What let's him down aside from drops and is lack of ability to read the defense.

Barring a complete meltdown the last 7 games, Baker has to be the guy in 2021 as well, and you pick up his 5th year option. Now, if he doesn't make the strides necessary to become a consistently good QB in the league in 2021, you bring in a veteran to compete with him in 2022/look to acquire a free agent, trade, or draft replacement.

TBH, paying a QB in the $20something million range is kind of a steal in today's NFL, which is weird to think about.