Browns General Discussion

candyman93

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

when you say “sounds” are you saying you’re not watching the games for yourself? 

You know I'm not. I've mentioned it about 80 times. I know we lost to the Jets because we were terrible at the end. I know we needed a 58 yard FG to beat the Panthers because we were terrible at the end. We couldn't close out the Chargers even though Nick Chubb ran wild. We lost to the Falcons. We beat the Steelers!!!

Even with Brissett I would think we should be 4-1 right now and at the very worst 3-2 but I don't think we should have lost to the Jets or Falcons so 4-1 seems like a B grade and anything else is C- or worse. We shouldn't have played the Falcons that close. Shouldn't have let the Panthers back in the game. Shouldn't have melted down against the Jets. 

I haven't watched a second of any Browns game. Am I wrong about any of that? 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If my job was contingent upon me having to salvage Baker like Stefanski in 2020 was told he had to keep him and fix him, and he then had kid gloves for a year, Year 4 I need to see what I have in him and if he can’t execute, it’s best in the long run. Baker clearly is garbage everywhere with every coach but Stefanski for 8 games and Gregg as a rookie with no film.

Funny how Brissett can read defenses and slide protection and get the ball out in empty but Baker can’t. Must be coaching AmIRite?

Depends what your goal is I guess. Do you want to win games or prove something. 

Brissett is performing at about the same level as an injured Baker did last year. Yes, better than Baker this year (just adding it because people thinks it matters) but Stefanski isn't a QB whisperer nor a genius playcaller. It's nice having a coach who doesn't sound like a total idiot every time he opens his mouth and I get how refreshing that is but with the roster he has been given he hasn't done anything with it. 

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Brissett is performing at about the same level as an injured Baker did last year. Yes, better than Baker this year (just adding it because people thinks it matters) but Stefanski isn't a QB whisperer nor a genius playcaller. It's nice having a coach who doesn't sound like a total idiot every time he opens his mouth and I get how refreshing that is but with the roster he has been given he hasn't done anything with it. 

Funny how coaches with good quarterbacks seem to be quarterback whisperers huh?

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Funny how coaches with good quarterbacks seem to be quarterback whisperers huh?

Eh, Hue Jackson was once considered one. 

He got average overall Baker in his 2 seasons. He has gotten average overall Brissett so far. I'm not saying he is garbage but he isn't elevating anyone that I can tell.

2 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Eh, Hue Jackson was once considered one. 

He got average overall Baker in his 2 seasons. He has gotten average overall Brissett so far. I'm not saying he is garbage but he isn't elevating anyone that I can tell.

I’d argue he majorly elevated Baker after a historically bad 2019 Baker and JB is having his best year of his career.

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You know I'm not.

I really didn’t.  I thought you had planned to watch until the rapist returned.

I've mentioned it about 80 times. I know we lost to the Jets because we were terrible at the end.

*the defense was terrible at the end 

I know we needed a 58 yard FG to beat the Panthers because we were terrible at the end.

*see above 

We couldn't close out the Chargers even though Nick Chubb ran wild.

He did well.  Not as well as Ekler, but well.

We lost to the Falcons.

Yes.  

We beat the Steelers!!!

I’ll take it.

Even with Brissett I would think we should be 4-1 right now and at the very worst 3-2 but I don't think we should have lost to the Jets or Falcons so 4-1 seems like a B grade and anything else is C- or worse. We shouldn't have played the Falcons that close. Shouldn't have let the Panthers back in the game. Shouldn't have melted down against the Jets. 

I haven't watched a second of any Browns game. Am I wrong about any of that? 

Not wrong at all, but when one specific unit is the reason we’ve lost all 3, it’s hard to put that on someone who’s not the DC. 

The offense this year looks significantly better than last year, especially the offense late in the year.

• Like 3

Stayhing the course on offense is the best thing we  can do, radical changes would be stupid. 

Our defense is loaded we have more corners that can covr well than any team in the NFL. We have two no.1 overall DEs. We have have highly drafted linebacekrs and safeties, and defensive tackles. the defense has some talent issues but has larger coaching issues too. 

We have enough corners to play a lot more man coverage we can almost do an entire line change if we need too. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Stayhing the course on offense is the best thing we  can do, radical changes would be stupid. 

Our defense is loaded we have more corners that can covr well than any team in the NFL. We have two no.1 overall DEs. We have have highly drafted linebacekrs and safeties, and defensive tackles. the defense has some talent issues but has larger coaching issues too. 

We have enough corners to play a lot more man coverage we can almost do an entire line change if we need too. 

I do t know much about X’s and O’s to take Joe Woods job.  But I do know that when you are creating more work for your boss that isn’t good.  Woods is not letting the offense take over games.  Which is what this team is meant to do.  Get a lead and run the ball and keep the other teams offense off the  field. He’s letting teams keep up with the score and not letting this rushing attack do its thing. 

Changing coaches mid season won’t change much but it might allow for someone to step up and call the game differently. Stay in man more and get aggressive. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

I do t know much about X’s and O’s to take Joe Woods job.  But I do know that when you are creating more work for your boss that isn’t good.  Woods is not letting the offense take over games.  Which is what this team is meant to do.  Get a lead and run the ball and keep the other teams offense off the  field. He’s letting teams keep up with the score and not letting this rushing attack do its thing. 

Changing coaches mid season won’t change much but it might allow for someone to step up and call the game differently. Stay in man more and get aggressive. 

Our defense has the talent to play reasonably simply IMO.

We could die fighting rather than by a 1000 blows and miscommunications.

Man across a safety that gets positioned for a run fit and then a safety to clean up the mess.

Our corners seem more interested and engaged when they have to go against a man one on one. Look at Emerson vs Mike Williams on their last drive. 

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I’d argue he majorly elevated Baker after a historically bad 2019 Baker and JB is having his best year of his career.

2021 Baker was worse than 2019 Baker.

2019 Brissett is better than 2022 Brissett. 3 to 1 TD to INT, better winning percentage, better rating.

22 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

2021 Baker was worse than 2019 Baker.

2019 Brissett is better than 2022 Brissett. 3 to 1 TD to INT, better winning percentage, better rating.

You contradict yourself here.

2019 Baker had a worse rating, lower TD to INT ratio, and worse winning percentage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

You contradict yourself here.

2019 Baker had a worse rating, lower TD to INT ratio, and worse winning percentage.

Well, I was being a bit disingenuous because it had a lot to do with the injury and Baker his last 12 games was considerably worse than Baker 2019.

It wasn't Stefanski's fault that Baker sucked last year, although it was his fault that he had him throw 40 times per game on multiple occasions. I'm sure if we had prime Peyton Manning last year Stefanski would have looked a lot smarter but why wouldn't he adapt his playcalling to help an injured QB? 

Either way, Stefanski hasn't made a QB anything special yet as a HC. He won't get a lot of credit if Watson does well either because Watson is expected to. Besides last season he hasn't hampered a QB, he just hasn't done anything to be considered a difference maker at the QB position.

I just haven't seen anything that makes Stefanski special. He is okay, is giving Woods too much time to do whatever he is trying to do and makes questionable gambles but those are fun when they work out they just don't very often. It is his team though. So it is his defense. It is his special teams. If he doesn't have the players on defense to be good then it isn't on him but I don't think that's the case.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Stefanski is probably the only coach we've had in the last 15 years thats intelligent in a general sense and would have success doing work outside of football so I think people tend to overrate him as a coach because we dont know what its like to have a coach who got 4 digits on his SAT.