Browns General Discussion

candyman93

54 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if Berry figured out a way that the signing bonus converted to voided years doesn't count against your cap he needs to win many awards and be extended another 20 years.

All you have to do is add up the voided years in 2028/29/30/31 and that will be the same number. It all comes off at the time the contract expires so it will be a 29 million and something dead cap hit in 2028.

This is literally all spelled out in the link above lol.

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This is literally all spelled out in the link above lol.

Fine, I read it.

So if they don't pick up the option we'll just owe 16 million (maybe more depending on how the other options were distributed, I'm assuming 0 beyond 2026) in dead cap in 2027 once his contract is expired. Nothing in 2028. So we'll see how he does and figure out if it is better to cut ties and give him 31 million for 2 years or 51 for 3 years. There will be a sizable cap hit at the end either way, cheaper if you don't pick up the option but we currently have a ton of dead space in 2027 from voided contracts Myles,Watson, Tomlinson, Delphit etc....

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He can only kick the can down the road until one day you have to pay the Piper.

True, it's made easier to navigate if you can gauge how close you are to making a big run. If things are going great and we advance further every year in the playoffs and lose a SB in 26 I'm sure they can scramble and add a little more time to the window.

It isn't a way to build a dynasty but it can work in the short term.

We have a window of this year and maybe next year. After that, it’s nuke time. Which I’m honestly ok with. Better to bail and acquire assets than it is to sit in mediocrity. But that’s my opinion. I know some Browns fans would rather win 7-9 games every year rather than endure any more 1-5 win seasons with an eye on a treasure chest of high picks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Fine, I read it.

So if they don't pick up the option we'll just owe 16 million (maybe more depending on how the other options were distributed, I'm assuming 0 beyond 2026) in dead cap in 2027 once his contract is expired. Nothing in 2028. So we'll see how he does and figure out if it is better to cut ties and give him 31 million for 2 years or 51 for 3 years. There will be a sizable cap hit at the end either way, cheaper if you don't pick up the option but we currently have a ton of dead space in 2027 from voided contracts Myles,Watson, Tomlinson, Delphit etc....

It’s an actual positive you read it. Good on you bro. 

11 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

It’s an actual positive you read it. Good on you bro. 

I usually just look at numbers, honestly didn't realize there was anything to read. I thought it was odd that there were multiple lines for options each year, that explained it.

Still, not a fan of reading.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Armbar said:

We have a window of this year and maybe next year. After that, it’s nuke time. Which I’m honestly ok with. Better to bail and acquire assets than it is to sit in mediocrity. But that’s my opinion. I know some Browns fans would rather win 7-9 games every year rather than endure any more 1-5 win seasons with an eye on a treasure chest of high picks. 

Just my opinion-

Unless you want a franchise QB, you should try to win as many games as possible every year.

A pass rusher, WR or CB isn’t going to magically turn your franchise around.

I feel like just losing a bunch of games doesn’t allow you to properly evaluate your coaching staff.

Edited by candyman93

8 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Unless you want a franchise QB, you should try to win as many games as possible every year.

I would expect us to be needing a franchise QB in 2027. Hope I'm wrong.

On 6/15/2024 at 7:45 PM, MWil23 said:

He can only kick the can down the road until one day you have to pay the Piper.

He won’t be around to pay the piper unless there’s a big short term payoff and Watson becomes something in Cleveland we’ve not yet seen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

He won’t be around to pay the piper unless there’s a big short term payoff and Watson becomes something in Cleveland we’ve not yet seen. 

Completely agree. My comment was in stark contrast with the whole “he’s a cheat code for the salary cap and a genius” derp derp derping here

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Completely agree. My comment was in stark contrast with the whole “he’s a cheat code for the salary cap and a genius” derp derp derping here

It’s the same derp derp in economic talk. “We get free housing.” “The govt paid for my student loans.” As if the money comes from thin air. Truthfully though I don’t think AB is worried about 5 years from now. Going to ride the wave until it crashes. Eventually, the can is going to stop rolling though, and we are going to have some issues. If we can manage to come up with a title in the next few years I won’t care about the consequence later on nor will most. Thats under the caveat of leshaun leveling back up though. Its a risky business and imo not a model for a sustainable run.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

It’s the same derp derp in economic talk. “We get free housing.” “The govt paid for my student loans.” As if the money comes from thin air. Truthfully though I don’t think AB is worried about 5 years from now. Going to ride the wave until it crashes. Eventually, the can is going to stop rolling though, and we are going to have some issues. If we can manage to come up with a title in the next few years I won’t care about the consequence later on nor will most. Thats under the caveat of leshaun leveling back up though. Its a risky business and imo not a model for a sustainable run.

I disagree with you about Berry and the salary cap. I guess that makes me a derp derp derper.

But I will definitely agree with you on the economy.

28 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I disagree with you about Berry and the salary cap. I guess that makes me a derp derp derper.

But I will definitely agree with you on the economy.

Nobody in history has ever spent their way out of a financial issue. It hasn’t been good for quite some time now.