Jets S Jamal Adams demands trade

RaidersAreOne

Money probably isn't the main issue, its losing. Money is just the lever he used to get himself on another team with better near- term prospects
Other than going full AB, a rookie has few options if he really wants out. So he and his agent chose the $$ strategy
The Jets do have some responsibility for showing him there's a vision and path to success.

CB Patrick Peterson was tired of losing in AZ and he wanted out too - but the front office was able to talk to him, show him their vision and convince him to stay in AZ to see the future unfold. For whatever reason, Adams and the Jets front office were unable to have a similar heart-to-heart
Tough spot for the Jets, they don't want a malcontent - but they also can't open the door for others to leave

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NJC33 said:

It's extremely rare for there to be a consensus favoring Jets management... Take the hint!

I’m actually surprised. Typically we are arguing with the entire NFL fanbase and the media.

Most fanbases across the board think Jamal is in the wrong. The exception are Cowboy fans and Manish Mehta. Jamal will start using Manish to pump out fake news. He already put out fake news but there’s more to come 

45 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Money probably isn't the main issue, its losing. Money is just the lever he used to get himself on another team with better near- term prospects
Other than going full AB, a rookie has few options if he really wants out. So he and his agent chose the $$ strategy
The Jets do have some responsibility for showing him there's a vision and path to success.

CB Patrick Peterson was tired of losing in AZ and he wanted out too - but the front office was able to talk to him, show him their vision and convince him to stay in AZ to see the future unfold. For whatever reason, Adams and the Jets front office were unable to have a similar heart-to-heart
Tough spot for the Jets, they don't want a malcontent - but they also can't open the door for others to leave

I agree. A couple of years ago, Jamal was pissed with the losing. He would constantly say “I’m not from losing...”. It’s definitely about the losing which is why he picked the 8 teams most likely to win the super bowl. He should just come out and say that though. Saying it’s a contract issue is disingenuous.  Saying it’s a communication issue is disingenuous.

My understanding is Joe Douglas has talked to the main guys multiple times. He met with guys like Darnold, Jamal when he was first hired. He apparently had a presentation to discuss the direction of the team and the culture he wants to have on the team. He also met with Jamal after the trade deadline stuff last year.

Personally, I’m not buying the lack of communication stuff. Every time I saw clips of practice last year, Joe D was on the field. Also, you hear from scouts and coaches that Joe D promotes communication across the organization. 

Edited by SDotNova

3 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Kittle wasn’t a first round pick, he’s not in the same situation as Adams 

It is. They are both studs and both are able to sign new contracts today as that is what the CBA allows. The fact that Adams has a fifth year option and Kittle doesn't is of little consequence, they can both agree to new deals and they can both hold out, demand trades and do whatever.  The Jets are making the decision not to engage in that, which is their right and their decision. 

There is no rule that states that you have to be in the contract year to get an extension. The 49ers could tie kittle up for years and keep him "locked up" with the franchise tag if they wanted. 

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Someone should tell Christian McCaffrey, Todd Gurley, OBJ, Luke Kuechly, Tyron Smith, Travis Frederick, and the like, that they owe their teams money. Their first contract extensions never happened, I guess.

Thank you for this. I keep seeing people repeatedly post "He has two years left on his deal," as if these types of negotiations are unprecedented. Star draft picks negotiating at this point in their rookie deals has become steadily more common since the rookie scale was introduced. Pretty sure you can add Ezekiel Elliott to that list as well. He got his extension a year ago.

It doesn't happen with every player. But it happens in particular to the elite players that are clearly outplaying their rookie deal, 3 years in. The guys who are getting underpaid by their 5th year option being picked up. Adams fits that group of players.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Thank you for this. I keep seeing people repeatedly post "He has two years left on his deal," as if these types of negotiations are unprecedented. Star draft picks negotiating at this point in their rookie deals has become steadily more common since the rookie scale was introduced. Pretty sure you can add Ezekiel Elliott to that list as well. He got his extension a year ago.

It doesn't happen with every player. But it happens in particular to the elite players that are clearly outplaying their rookie deal, 3 years in. The guys who are getting underpaid by their 5th year option being picked up. Adams fits that group of players.

And yet there are many other factors at play than those players current circumstances. Its not as simple as you're stating. It's not in the Jets best interest to pay him right now.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I'd be very surprised if Kittle's extension isn't done before the season starts as well. He's been quiet, but if I were him there's no way in hell I'm playing on his current deal this year. 

Kittle should be in the same boat as Adams - elite player at a traditionally low paying position. Difference is Adams has an extra year of team control which, according to some fans here, should matter (?). 

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Yeah, pretending that only the QBs, rushers, and CBs get extensions this early is silly. 

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

And yet there are many other factors at play than those players current circumstances. Its not as simple as you're stating. It's not in the Jets best interest to pay him right now.

When is it ever a good time to give a guy record-breaking dollars? Probably never. But you do it if you want them to stick around (and if they deserve it). 

Adams isn’t breaking any precedence by looking for the money going into his 4th year.

3 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

The last defensive first rounder to receive an extension after three seasons was Kuechly in 2015 (Per OTC). It's not unprecedented, but it is extremely rare.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Adams isn’t breaking any precedence by looking for the money going into his 4th year.

The issue here, the unprecedented action, has been Jamal's over the top self victimization in effort to force a trade. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't remember a player ever throwing this type of tantrum after just three seasons because of a "rumored" contract dispute. You'd think Jamal was coming off back-to-back franchise tags the way he's acted. I'm sure most deserving players are looking for the money heading into year 4, most don't get it & none have responded to this extreme.

9 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The last defensive first rounder to receive an extension after three seasons was Kuechly in 2015 (Per OTC). It's not unprecedented, but it is extremely rare.

I mean, that sounds rough, but when you look at it with a little context...

2013: Xavier Rhodes

2014: Anthony Barr (sort of), Aaron Donald, Kyle Fuller. 

2015: Arik Armstead, Bud Dupree (franchised), Shaq Thompson. 

2016: None. 

So these are defensive players drafted in the first round that were signed by the teams that drafted them, period. 

Rhodes didn’t come out the gate as a star but he got his money after a couple seasons of great play. Anthony Barr is a good player that was allowed to hit FA before re-signing with the Vikings in the last second. Aaron Donald is obviously a beast and his deal was done close to the end. Kyle Fuller was another inconsistent corner that managed to put together some good play for a deal. Armstead just came off his best, definitely wasn’t a shoe-in for the big money prior to this year. Dupree got franchised after finally mixing his athleticism with actual play. Thompson got a modest deal. 

So first of all, there’s obviously not a big group of players even worth keeping to the home team. The pool is unquestionably small. 

Second, among that small pool, which were/are even the caliber of Adams? Donald, obviously. Rhodes developed into that but wasn’t at this level in his third season. The rest don’t impact the game or show the level of play on a consistent basis that Adams has shown. So who are we really comparing him to? 

”None since Kuechly in 2015” sounds bad, but it really isn’t when you look at who is being kept and who isn’t. Although in all fairness, Ramsey, Bosa, Clark, and Jackson all deserve their deals from the 2016 class. Along with Buckner, who already got his, just not with the Niners. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The issue here, the unprecedented action, has been Jamal's over the top self victimization in effort to force a trade.

The guy I quoted pretty clearly stated, and I’m loosely paraphrasing, “if you’re not a QB, pass rusher, or corner, you don’t get paid in your third year”. That’s 100% not true. 

How you feel about what Adams has been saying or doing (which is being overdramatized tbh) is your own business. 

2 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

It's not in most team's best interest to give a player more money, earlier. Is it in the Chiefs best interest financially to talk extension with Mahomes now, rather than let him make $5M and $25M the next two years? Not at all. But when a guy is in your long time plans sometimes you work to get him what he deserves, as has been done with CMC, Elliott, Kuechly, etc., and is being done with Garrett, Mahomes, etc. The problem here is that he thinks he has earned that. The Jets seem to not. He thinks he belongs on that list of players that performed so well, that their teams gave them an early extension in good faith to reward that performance. It's fine if the Jets disagree, but he does have the right to want that. They have the right to deny it. He has the right to holdout, demand trade, etc. And so on. But personally, with how this league works, I will rarely blame a player for looking at something someone else got, and saying they want that.

But, I digress. Point still stands, the simple statement of "He has two years left on his deal," doesn't invalidate his desire for an extension. There's precedent enough to justify his view.

• Like 1

It's funny to hear this whole, "he has 2 years left on his deal, who the hell does he think he is, he needs to shut up" crew. Coming into the league he had no say in either where he'd play, how much he'd be paid, or how long his contract would be. It was entirely decided for him. If that was the situation foisted upon you in your own career and you didn't like where it had put you, if you had any leverage you'd try to do something about it too. 

The NFL makes it incredibly hard for young players to have any degree of control over their lives and careers, so this gambit could well not work out for him. But I respect the fact that he's trying. The league already does everything it can to bend over backwards to reward bad teams for their incompetence. Instead of hand wringing about the terrible precedent set by Jamal Adams and other young players recognizing they don't need to waste away at bad franchises that would cut the chord on them the second it's convenient if the shoe was on the other foot,  maybe people should consider that the best way teams can avoid this situation is just by making themselves more desirable organizations to play for.