What should be the new name of the Washington NFL team?

scar988

50 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The Native American may not have been seen as fierce warriors, but today? As a people fighting a rearguard action against a foe with more people, more resources, and better weapons? They were badasses. Geronimo and the Apaches in the Southwest gave as good as they got to Mexico AND the US for over 30 yrs. 

Dude, yes. I lived in Gold Canyon, AZ, which is basically the geographical hub for that chunk of history. To the west, you have the old mining town of Goldfield. The town runs right up to the base of the Superstitions. You have Peralta Canyon right there, and the mining town of Superior is just east. You can hike to the ruins of Pinal, as well. Anyways, you can still find old railroad spikes and fittings from one of the trains shipping gold that the Apaches destroyed. They literally took a train carrying a shipment of gold, in the possession of the Peralta family (one of the most powerful families in the region), threw it off the rails, destroyed it, took the gold, and killed everyone.

Camp Geronimo is a several days' ride by horseback east of where I used to live (or a few hours in a car), but "Top of the World" is in between Gold Canyon and Superior, and Oak Flats is just above Superior, and those two locations are where many Apaches ultimately threw themselves to their deaths, rather than submit to their enemies. In fact, this is what led to people yelling "Geronimo!" when they jump off of things. Around the area, you can find beads and whole chunks of obsidian, volcanic glass, which are referred to as Apache tears. Lore has it that they formed from the weeping of the mothers and children as their men were slaughtered and then killed themselves before submitting.

There is also evidence of raids all over the place. You can find old arrowheads and spearheads all over, as well as even old bullets if you dig down a bit in a lot of areas. They would wipe out whole caravans of people who rode by coach, as well. It's crazy, but these guys were ruthless and FIERCE.

Anyways, Native Americans being fierce warriors isn't just a stereotype. In fact, it's a major part of the culture for many tribes. Luiseños, for example, pride ourselves on both the ancient ways of the warrior-heroes as well as the ancient ways of great hunters and fishermen, from when we crossed the great sea and settled in the fertile shores. We still do ritualistic hunts every once in a while, though I haven't really done that since I was a young teenager since I've lived apart from the tribe since then. 

However, not all tribes even have a past that contains war. The Powhatans, for example, were largely a peaceful people and willing to negotiate with other nations. The Cherokee were/are an EXTREMELY docile people who basically just wanted to be friends with everyone and were unfairly slaughtered and exiled to lands far away, but still were because they were Native Americans. And it's crazy, because many people like Chief John Ross were actually SCOTTISH and were welcomed into the tribe and ALSO forced across untamed land, where many of the people died, dubbing it the "Trail of Tears." 

As for the mascot, I'd still be happy with Native American representation, but the Kansas City Chiefs also represent the indigenous population, and they're also generally respectful with both their mascot title and their representation. It's also a strong location, being in the great plains. An Iroquois-derived representation would be nice, but if we need one for them as well as one for the Lakota, why not have a Kwakhiutl, Inuit, or Pueblo-derived team and just cover all of our major bases?

I don't feel like we HAVE to have multiple teams representing us, so I'm open to really ANY mascot. However, if the Powhatans or even the whole Iroquois Macro Culture would be offended by a complete rebranding, the I don't know.

I seriously like the Pigskins, though. I mean, the colors wouldn't even really have to change at that point.

I guess they could completely change and I wouldn't have an issue.

If you made it this far in my post, congratulations!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The Native American may not have been seen as fierce warriors, but today? As a people fighting a rearguard action against a foe with more people, more resources, and better weapons? They were badasses. Geronimo and the Apaches in the Southwest gave as good as they got to Mexico AND the US for over 30 yrs. 

No question they were fierce warriors, and we don't need to go over the reasons why....But again, they were belligerents and considered enemies of our country....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Dude, yes. I lived in Gold Canyon, AZ, which is basically the geographical hub for that chunk of history. To the west, you have the old mining town of Goldfield. The town runs right up to the base of the Superstitions. You have Peralta Canyon right there, and the mining town of Superior is just east. You can hike to the ruins of Pinal, as well. Anyways, you can still find old railroad spikes and fittings from one of the trains shipping gold that the Apaches destroyed. They literally took a train carrying a shipment of gold, in the possession of the Peralta family (one of the most powerful families in the region), threw it off the rails, destroyed it, took the gold, and killed everyone.

Camp Geronimo is a several days' ride by horseback east of where I used to live (or a few hours in a car), but "Top of the World" is in between Gold Canyon and Superior, and Oak Flats is just above Superior, and those two locations are where many Apaches ultimately threw themselves to their deaths, rather than submit to their enemies. In fact, this is what led to people yelling "Geronimo!" when they jump off of things. Around the area, you can find beads and whole chunks of obsidian, volcanic glass, which are referred to as Apache tears. Lore has it that they formed from the weeping of the mothers and children as their men were slaughtered and then killed themselves before submitting.

There is also evidence of raids all over the place. You can find old arrowheads and spearheads all over, as well as even old bullets if you dig down a bit in a lot of areas. They would wipe out whole caravans of people who rode by coach, as well. It's crazy, but these guys were ruthless and FIERCE.

Anyways, Native Americans being fierce warriors isn't just a stereotype. In fact, it's a major part of the culture for many tribes. Luiseños, for example, pride ourselves on both the ancient ways of the warrior-heroes as well as the ancient ways of great hunters and fishermen, from when we crossed the great sea and settled in the fertile shores. We still do ritualistic hunts every once in a while, though I haven't really done that since I was a young teenager since I've lived apart from the tribe since then. 

However, not all tribes even have a past that contains war. The Powhatans, for example, were largely a peaceful people and willing to negotiate with other nations. The Cherokee were/are an EXTREMELY docile people who basically just wanted to be friends with everyone and were unfairly slaughtered and exiled to lands far away, but still were because they were Native Americans. And it's crazy, because many people like Chief John Ross were actually SCOTTISH and were welcomed into the tribe and ALSO forced across untamed land, where many of the people died, dubbing it the "Trail of Tears." 

As for the mascot, I'd still be happy with Native American representation, but the Kansas City Chiefs also represent the indigenous population, and they're also generally respectful with both their mascot title and their representation. It's also a strong location, being in the great plains. An Iroquois-derived representation would be nice, but if we need one for them as well as one for the Lakota, why not have a Kwakhiutl, Inuit, or Pueblo-derived team and just cover all of our major bases?

I don't feel like we HAVE to have multiple teams representing us, so I'm open to really ANY mascot. However, if the Powhatans or even the whole Iroquois Macro Culture would be offended by a complete rebranding, the I don't know.

I seriously like the Pigskins, though. I mean, the colors wouldn't even really have to change at that point.

I guess they could completely change and I wouldn't have an issue.

If you made it this far in my post, congratulations!

Us Scots get every .... place

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

This probably wouldn't fly. Similar issues to the current name tbh. 

So would the name Indians.   The team probably should stick with something associated with DC.

13 hours ago, Slateman said:

Redtails was the name of the segregated WWII squadron, so we cant use it.

When I saw the suggestion of Redtails I immediately thought of a Redtail Hawk.  If they use this name along with the bird as a symbol I don't know how many folks would think of the WWII squadron.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

When I saw the suggestion of Redtails I immediately thought of a Redtail Hawk.  If they use this name along with the bird as a symbol I don't know how many folks would think of the WWII squadron.

Slate man strikes me as a middle-aged white Republican angry that no one notices the terrible oppression they are currently experiencing.

Edited by Mr Bad Example