What should be the new name of the Washington NFL team?

scar988

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

It could be looked at as a tribute to Native Americans.

Saying the name of a group of people is not racist in and of itself. No more than "Steelers" or "Packers" makes fun of those jobs. Or Vikings and that group of people. "Patriots" refers to a group of (almost exclusively) white people who rebelled against the UK. 

Yes, I get that genocide obviously skews that greatly. But I think my point still stands. Those teams believe they are paying tribute to the OG American Natives; not mocking them (in their minds). 

Yeah I get where you are coming from which is why I wouldn't want to speak for everyone. I am Salish from Canada, so haven't lived it in an American context, so it's possible I am the one off base. I think there is a large difference between something like Redskins or Indians, vs Braves or Blackhawks, but I think if people are offended by it it's our place to analyze that and not attack them. 

If people feel it is honouring them, that's great and I wouldn't tell them their own feelings are wrong. If someone feels that they are being mocked, then we should probably pay them our attention and operate with a framework that understands that. However, I do think refraining from turning marginalized people into mascots whether positively intended or not is likely the safest protocol- but again I can only speak for myself.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Yeah I get where you are coming from which is why I wouldn't want to speak for everyone. I am Salish from Canada, so haven't lived it in an American context, so it's possible I am the one off base. I think there is a large difference between something like Redskins or Indians, vs Braves or Blackhawks, but I think if people are offended by it it's our place to analyze that and not attack them. 

If people feel it is honouring them, that's great and I wouldn't tell them their own feelings are wrong. If someone feels that they are being mocked, then we should probably pay them our attention and operate with a framework that understands that. However, I do think refraining from turning marginalized people into mascots whether positively intended or not is likely the safest protocol- but again I can only speak for myself.

I get that. Truly. My step-dad was 100% cherokee and also found no issue with Redskins. Im sure other members in his family found it reprehensible. Its not 1 size fits all. I do also agree that some names have a much more positive connotation. I would assume some have a neutral connotation? Like tribes maybe?

2 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Pretty racist, man. 

The current name is an old time slur, and the logo is a stereotyped charicature of an oppressed people who were victims of a genocide.

I would say the “idiots” are the ones who get upset about people not wanting outdated racism as normal in pop culture giants like the NFL.

doubling down and wanting the same logo but calling them savages is just totally off base and as an indigenous person I find it pretty damn offensive, and it seems like a concentrated effort to be hurtful and racist on your part. 

Edit* I see you derailed the other thread with even worse inappropriate and hateful language. Can we please give this guy a ban?

The response I want to give vs the one I am giving is much further down the line of calling a spade a spade. There’s not grasping the issue, then there’s this.

Yeah that’s disgraceful. Should at least deserve a serious warning. Like that is incredibly offensive. Providing a warning there ensures we see less stuff like this next time. Tired of seeing such takes every time I go into a thread that he posts in, it’s always a hand slap with no recourse for that poster.

Anyways... toward the nature of this thread; Washington Wolverines. I have no internal logic for the name other than Wolverines are tough creatures and the assonance with the city name sounds pleasant.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah that’s disgraceful. Should at least deserve a serious warning. Like that is incredibly offensive. Providing a warning there ensures we see less stuff like this next time.

His behavior has been noted and documented. 

Next time, if you have issues with forum moderation, please PM a Mod. Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

If you're going to remain politically correct, the mascot Chiefs will have to go as well....

It’s a difference between honoring and hate. 

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

My fiance is apart of the Puyallup tribe and we've had lengthy conversations around this topic. She and her family have zero issue with either of those names. Neither are inherently derogatory toward the indigenous demographic. 

I realize she and her family don't speak for the group at large, but it's a window into that perspective and I think people would have to be hyper-sensitive to take offense to either of those names. 

EDIT: To answer your question, Natives or Tribe would be a LOT better than Redskins. 

I’ve asked a couple Cherokee friends about the Braves and never got any response but “stop the chop and we’re cool.”

• Like 2

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

I'm ok with something like that. I honestly think the Washington Redtails has a nice ring to it and they could base the logo off a red-tailed Hawk.It's indigenous to the entire continental US and has large populations in the mid atlantic. Plus it just fits. 

Redtails was the name of the segregated WWII squadron, so we cant use it.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:
1 hour ago, August4th said:

Ok, that's some big weight there. Lot of Snyder's money comes from the naming rights of that stadium - there's some actual pull on this one.

LMAO..... we have another discord convo coming up.