Browns TE David Njoku requests trade

RaidersAreOne

The Redskins need a TE in the worst way, and Njoku, barring an epic collapse in camp, would start over such great players like Jeremy Sprinkle. Logan Thomas and Richard Rodgers.  I'd give up a day 3 pick for him.  As another Redskins fan brought up Kerrigan, I'm not sure I would move Kerrigan for him.  Maybe Ryan Anderson.

16 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Redskins need a TE in the worst way, and Njoku, barring an epic collapse in camp, would start over such great players like Jeremy Sprinkle. Logan Thomas and Richard Rodgers.  I'd give up a day 3 pick for him.  As another Redskins fan brought up Kerrigan, I'm not sure I would move Kerrigan for him.  Maybe Ryan Anderson.

Logan Thomas, wow. Haven’t heard that name in what seems like forever. What’s been the deal with him? Feels like he made that QB->TE transition years ago and typically those players either wash out or produce very quickly...he been just a depth guy for you all?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As another Redskins fan brought up Kerrigan, I'm not sure I would move Kerrigan for him

I think it depends on your expectations. 

Given his age, do you expect Washington to re-sign him while building the roster?

If not, what do you think his value is as a trade acquisition for another team? 4th? Late third from a contender? You're capped at a fifth with regards to a comp pick. Would you rather have that pick from the trade, or two years to sort out Njoku?

You should certainly prefer Njoku over one year remaining on kerrigan in what is likely to be a wasted season and then a round five comp pick (assuming Washington didn't sign anyone)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I think it depends on your expectations. 

Given his age, do you expect Washington to re-sign him while building the roster?

If not, what do you think his value is as a trade acquisition for another team? 4th? Late third from a contender? You're capped at a fifth with regards to a comp pick. Would you rather have that pick, or two years to sort out Njoku? 

Honestly, I think they needed to trade him at the deadline last year.  I don't think he has a future, but I wouldn't mind holding him until this deadline just to make sure the team can get off to a good start with Covid complicating matters.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Honestly, I think they needed to trade him at the deadline last year.  I don't think he has a future, but I wouldn't mind holding him until this deadline just to make sure the team can get off to a good start with Covid complicating matters.  

well he was hurt, so it wouldnt have been possible. The injury kinda ruined him. When he came back he was a different person from the sounds of it

Just now, buno67 said:

well he was hurt, so it wouldnt have been possible. The injury kinda ruined him. When he came back he was a different person from the sounds of it

True.  He also needs to have the right fit.  He is deaf in one ear, so he has to line up over the left tackle so he can hear the QB cadence.  I imagine it would be much tougher for him, especially this late in his career, to switch.  

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Interesting trade offer. As a neutral observer, I think it makes sense to both teams

Ryan Kerrigan is really good. Njoku is talented at best. I think at straight up trade is an insult on Kerrigan.

I know the market is different given the timing, but the Ravens got a 2nd and change for Hayden Hurst. Have to think, even with the draft/FA being done with, that Njoku could nab a 4th or so. 

Just now, Danand said:

Ryan Kerrigan is really good. Njoku is talented at best. I think at straight up trade is an insult on Kerrigan.

Kerrigan’s also on the final year of a deal where they just drafted his replacements in back-to-back first rounds. Think it has less to do with Kerrigan’s ability and more to do with the Skins’ surplus.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Kerrigan’s also on the final year of a deal where they just drafted his replacements in back-to-back first rounds. Think it has less to do with Kerrigan’s ability and more to do with the Skins’ surplus.

Can you ever have enough Pass Rushers?

• Like 1

Just now, KingOfTheDot said:

I agree, and at worst, Kerrigan at 31 still should be able to play 3 more years. He has been extremely consistent, constant producer on a team without that much talent. Still playing reduced snaps and working as a mentor for the younger pass rushers, I think his value by far exceeds what Njoku brings to the table, when we think of what he has proven so far.

42 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Never. But look at the context of it all. 

Kerrigan will be 32 by the season’s start. Counts $11.5M against the cap. The team drafted Sweat in the first round last year and Chase Young second overall this year - both projected to start over a decent depth guy in Ryan Anderson. You also have 3 defensive linemen that you’re pretty comfortable with rushing the passer, and at least one of them can rush from the outside if he wanted to. So now you have an aging player, coming off a down year, switching to a new scheme, possibly not even a starter, and you might be able to move him for a much younger player at a position of weakness for your team. 

Even if Kerrigan is off the table as trade bait, he’s likely not going to be retained in 2021 - especially if he’s as good a player as some of you guys might think. Wouldn’t make sense to have Young, Sweat, a paid Ioannidis, upcoming deals in Payne and Allen, and then pay Kerrigan starter money. So if you’re win-in-2020 mode, Kerrigan is likely the better deal, and even then I don’t feel that’s a given, considering how much of an upgrade Njoku could be to...Jeremy Sprinkle. But anything beyond? Kerrigan likely isn’t a part of those plans, so might as well get someone who is (that can also contribute in the immediate future). Njoku has a lot to prove as a player, but the upside still exists there while I think Kerrigan is trending down.