Browns TE David Njoku requests trade

RaidersAreOne

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why?  Kerrigan's game is based on his bull rush.  He takes obsessively good care of his body.  I see no reason he can't play until he's 36+.

1. You’re assuming he’d want to play that long. What if his body tells him no?

2. How many guys contribute at that age?

49 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

1. You’re assuming he’d want to play that long. What if his body tells him no?

2. How many guys contribute at that age?

1. That is definitely a risk, though I don't think it's a likely outcome given his track record.

2. There are 4 years in between 32 and 36.

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

1. That is definitely a risk, though I don't think it's a likely outcome given his track record.

2. There are 4 years in between 32 and 36.

Guys are trending towards retiring earlier and earlier given CTE. I could easily see him retiring next year. Especially if his production dips.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Rare for a pass rusher, though not impossible. It didn't help that he's coming off the worst year of his career though

His production did dip last year.  Though that's much less due to a decline and play and more due to a few other factors:

• He suffered a concussion Week 12, which forced him to miss time in that game and sit out the next week.
  • Then he injured his calf against GB in Week 14, and the team decided to shut him down for the rest of the season since it was clear they had nothing to play for.
  • The Redskins led the league in least amount of time played with the lead.  That's obviously going to provide much less opportunities for sacks than normal.

Before he missed time last season (one with a concussion and the remaining games because the team shut him down), he started in 139 consecutive games.  The dude is a model of consistency and the definition of an iron man, especially at his position.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Guys are trending towards retiring earlier and earlier given CTE. I could easily see him retiring next year. Especially if his production dips.

I guess we could say the same for Cameron Jordan, Calais Campbell, Brandon Graham, Melvin Ingram etc.  That's not exactly something I could "easily" see.

I find this trade demand to be very weird. Wouldn't the Browns have very little incentive to trade him, unless they got a very good return? And that's an unlikely proposition, at best? Also, given his age, wouldn't he be better off staying put and trying to produce?

I'm tempted to say the dude is simply arrogant...but this really feels more like stupidity. 

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I find this trade demand to be very weird. Wouldn't the Browns have very little incentive to trade him, unless they got a very good return? And that's an unlikely proposition, at best? Also, given his age, wouldn't he be better off staying put and trying to produce?

I'm tempted to say the dude is simply arrogant...but this really feels more like stupidity. 

When you see his interviews, he comes across as being more interested in being an influencer than a football player.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Well the Browns reached out to him to try to get him to change his mind but Drew pretty much said he had no interest in staying. The return will be so small that it wouldn't really hurt the Browns to just let him sit out and might be a better option to not potentially make another team stronger without getting any real return.

Just depends if the Browns want to appear as player friendly, they own all of the leverage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

the incentive to maybe improve another position or draft capital. He isnt a starter, so they arent taking away from the position. Brown and Carlson both showed potential last year and they just drafted one of the better TEs in the draft. So it might be better to invest the reps and snaps to those guys than a potential headache

Well he wont get the chances to truly produce because he will be the #2 and his lack of blocking might leave him off the field at times. Its prolly smarter for him to move now cause he has 2yrs left on his deal after the browns picked up his 5th yr option. He goes to a new team and he can spend the year learning and growing with that team and then the following year, his contract year, he could hit the ground running and try and produce to get that bigger contract. Also a team might be more willing to trade for him now cause they know they will get at least 2 years out of said player . 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

He’s the backup tight end at best, I don’t think that incentivizes him to stay in Cleveland or the Browns to keep him. Producing as a backup won’t give him the payday I’m sure he wants. And having Njoku as the TE2 or TE3 isn’t really worth much either, I think a 4th or 5th would be fair.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Pats kind of need TEs but Njoku doesn't really move the needle enough. We'd probably prefer to see what we've got with Asiasi before trading away future draft capital or proven current roster players for a 35 yards per game TE. 

Given Cams infatuation with throwing to the TE position, if anything it should be the opposite.  That 35, could easily be 70+. Its not like the Patriots are loaded at the position in any way shape or form? More potential weapons, the better.

That said, the Browns aren't going to get much in return IMO so they should sit idle, call his bluff unless blown away.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Given Cams infatuation with throwing to the TE position, if anything it should be the opposite.  That 35, could easily be 70+. Its not like the Patriots are loaded at the position in any way shape or form? More potential weapons, the better.

That said, the Browns aren't going to get much in return IMO so they should sit idle, call his bluff unless blown away.

That's correct, we're not. Can we have Goeddert please :)

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Cam's infatuation with throwing to tight ends couldn't POSSIBLY have ANYTHING to do with the fact that the best receiver of his tenure was a 40-year-old Ted Ginn and his tight end was a future Hall of Famer, right?