WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

55 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Ahh I don’t believe this guy. There’s plenty more insiders that would’ve found this info out before this dude. My guess is it’s either Redwolves or Hogs. Commanders is dreadful. 

It's so dammmm P C . I think it's the name too - Hate it but Military/ Washington . gotta be . -puke!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, RSkinGM said:

It's so dammmm P C . I think it's the name too - Hate it but Military/ Washington . gotta be . -puke!

I don’t hate it bc it’s Pc, any name we’re going to pick is going to be PC, I hate Commanders bc the name sucks. 

Edited by turtle28

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/hughes-why-washington-should-choose-redwolves-their-new-name

Jonathan Allen seems to agree and head coach Ron Rivera has suggested he likes it, too. The chances of Redwolves actually being the name, though, are unclear. Some in the know have suggested its proponents shouldn't get their hopes up. There is also the matter of trademarks and copyrights, though Facebook just proved there is a price for anything with their $60 million acquisition of the name 'Meta.'

Ties to the history

It may not seem like it at the moment, with a different name and after some tough years decades, but Washington is one of the more storied franchises in the NFL. They have three Super Bowl trophies and were one of the most successful teams in the early 1970s, the entire 1980s and the early 1990s. I'm in my 30s and I don't remember any of it, as my first memories of the team featured Norv Turner as coach, but I felt connected to that history while growing up watching the team with my grandparents, who told me of the glory days.

It would make sense to hold onto what they can. That's why it was a smart decision to keep the burgundy and gold color scheme. But there are other ways they can retain the history of the team and its branding simply by choosing a name that starts with 'R.' There is the curly R logo and another variation that was worn on helmets designed by former Washington head coach Vince Lombardi. These logos would not only harken back to the past, but allow fans to continue using some of their old hats, jackets and other merchandise. It would also make the names of their rivalries - like Cowboys-Redwolves - sound like the originals.

Could use the fight song

The H.T.T.R. fight song could be resurrected, just with a new spin. 'Hail to the Redwolves' follows the cadence of the original and, with a few more tweaks to the lyrics, could invite all the same traditions. The band could be in the bleachers playing it after every score and fans could also sing it not only at games, but tailgates and other settings (I've heard it at a few weddings). 

For any traditionalists who would push back at repurposing the fight song, it's worth noting it has been changed before. The song originally had the word 'Dixie' instead of 'D.C.' Maybe it's time to update it once more. Doing so would also maintain the acronym 'H.T.T.R.' which has been used for everything from t-shirts to a Twitter hashtag.

Good cause

As detailed by Scott Allen of the Washington Post, choosing the name would help raise awareness for actual red wolves that used to inhabit the entire southeast and are now an endangered species. Some critics of 'Redwolves' have questioned why the team would choose a name of an animal that doesn't exist around Washington, D.C. Well, they don't anymore, but the name would absolutely have significance to the region.”

Lots of songs

This is an underrated reason, but one that could be more valuable than it seems. There are a ton of songs based on the words 'wolf' and 'wolves.' You know how the Cowboys have adopted Wiz Khalifa's 'We Dem Boys,' therefore ruining that once-great song for every Washington fan? Washington could have the same connection to a song, or many, depending on the genre.

Seriously, think about it. If it's rap you could do either 'Wolves' by Kanye West or 'Wolves' by Big Sean and Post Malone (my personal choice). If it's rock you could go 'Werewolves of London' by Warren Zevon, or for an 80s spin you could use 'Hungry Like the Wolf' by Duran Duran. There are many more options and, even if one became the preferred choice for player introductions, they could probably build an entire pregame playlist for the stadium with songs that stick to the theme. The same could be done with the word 'red.'

Fred Smoot

The first person I heard suggest'Redwolves' was former Washington cornerback Fred Smoot, who now works in the media, including on the Team 980 postgame show. He brought it up in the summer of 2020 on the Washington Football Team podcast, pointed out how unique it would be to the NFL and said to envision a packed stadium howling like wolves. It sounded absolutely awesome.”

Edited by turtle28

19 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I like the name, I hate that logo, it's too cartoonish. I like the logo that DCXP or whatever it was did before with the white helmets & burgundy R’s on the helmet w/ white on white ice jersey’s & pants w/ also burgundy unis as well.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

Man, I know we would get used to it overtime but Commanders is god awful. As much as I hate WFT I’d rather just keep it that then call them the Commanders. It’s legitimately terrible. I still do not believe that’s the name but sheesh that’s bad. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

And of course there’s multiple twitter handles including the always insane Junior Galette claiming the name will be Redwolves. 

Junior is ready to punch anyone who disagrees that it will be Redwolves. 

As long as they’re a woman. And smaller than him. 

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

And of course there’s multiple twitter handles including the always insane Junior Galette claiming the name will be Redwolves. 

Junior is such a tool, he just can not get over the fact that the team kept Trent Murphy & Preston Smith over starting him in 2018. And then signed McPhee instead of re-signing him - which I agree with him about McPhee - but Junior turned down a 2-year $10 mil deal based off a lot of incentives but he never got another deal after just a few workouts.

I was shocked he didn't play in the XFL in 2018 but, he probably wasn't going to plus for what they were offering like Kap. Still, he's gotta let it go. He'll slide in your DMs if you disagree with him on any of that as he did me! 😂 

Edited by turtle28