WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Same here. Born at Potomac Hospital and live in Alexandria. Have been in NoVa my whole life. 

The more I think about it the more I like Admirals. It’s a good name. It’s actually a pretty cool name. Commanders is god awful though. I would absolutely buy Admirals gear but I genuinely might walk away if it’s commanders. 

The redwolf had been a native species to the area and well into Pennsylvania until driven out. But it was not something completely out of left field. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghostnote said:

The redwolf had been a native species to the area and well into Pennsylvania until driven out. But it was not something completely out of left field. 

Yep. I read that before but I don’t think it was ever in the running. They absolutely could’ve had the name if they tried. They didn’t want it. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Yep. I read that before but I don’t think it was ever in the running. They absolutely could’ve had the name if they tried. They didn’t want it. 

I agree 100%. 

In 2000 there was a team called the New England SeaWolves. There is also an AHL team called the Chicago Wolves. So how does a small time franchise like that get around the legal issues, yet, a multi-billion dollar franchise cannot? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One of the things that I think is always under the radar with a name is the ability to abbreviate it. That becomes remarkably important for people who frequently discuss the team, especially when the actual name itself is sort of long (let’s say 3 or more syllables). 

As I’ve mentioned previously, Capitals and Nationals are both awful names. Awful. But we’ve been able to work around that by having a nice, familiar, abbreviated version that has become our way of referring to them (“Caps” and “Nats,” though the latter is still admittedly pretty bad). The Orioles have become the O’s or the Birds to their fans. Previously, we were the “Skins” in any conversation about our football team, and you have any number of other familiar abbreviated team names around the league: the Niners, the Boys, the Pats, the Bucs, the Pack, the Vikes, the Jags, etc. 

How do you abbreviate Commanders, which is a pretty unwieldy name? The “Coms”? The “Mandies”? The “‘Ders”?

the Derrrrrs sounds appropriate for this team. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

So dumb. Saw this and thought it was kind of funny. Anything possible with this organization. 

I’d get the biggest laugh out of this 🤣🤣🤣. I think if this is the big name they choose and y’all are gonna catch me on the womens tennis forum from here on out fellas 💯💯💯

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, e16bball said:

One of the things that I think is always under the radar with a name is the ability to abbreviate it. That becomes remarkably important for people who frequently discuss the team, especially when the actual name itself is sort of long (let’s say 3 or more syllables). 

As I’ve mentioned previously, Capitals and Nationals are both awful names. Awful. But we’ve been able to work around that by having a nice, familiar, abbreviated version that has become our way of referring to them (“Caps” and “Nats,” though the latter is still admittedly pretty bad). The Orioles have become the O’s or the Birds to their fans. Previously, we were the “Skins” in any conversation about our football team, and you have any number of other familiar abbreviated team names around the league: the Niners, the Boys, the Pats, the Bucs, the Pack, the Vikes, the Jags, etc. 

How do you abbreviate Commanders, which is a pretty unwieldy name? The “Coms”? The “Mandies”? The “‘Ders”?

I thought they should’ve taken the kins off in our battles/arguments over the name changing in past years. 

Similar to the Cincinnati Reds, we could’ve been the Washington Reds & worked out whatever legal stuff we had to work out w/ the Cincinnati Reds in order to use the name like 7 or 8 years ago.

It never seemed to be an option though and that’s fine, but I did grasp on to that years ago as something that seemed like people could settle on rather easily.

35 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The annoying thing is that they just won’t say that. They have to turn Jason Wright into this cringy sycophant who has to go out in front of everyone and try to find a way to peddle some line of BS that gives them an excuse for not giving the fans what they want. 

Just say you don’t like the name, didn’t want to name the team that. Be a man. Be an @MKnight82, say the name is dumb. Say you think naming the team after guys with guns or sailing on boats is cooler. Say that the only reason you got to keep your grubby mitts on the franchise is because Rivera agreed to be the adult in the building, and that meant giving him first dibs on naming. Or just say that you can’t make as much money with Redwolves and it’s a business designed to make money, so 🖕🏻 to anyone who doesn’t like it. 

But instead, just more of the pathetic mealy-mouthed drivel that flows out of this organization. That’s the worst part of all of it, probably somehow even worse than the names they’ve narrowed it down to. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

So dumb. Saw this and thought it was kind of funny. Anything possible with this organization. 

Everybody trying to become famous by guessing the name. I actually don’t hate the name Groundhogs & they could reveal it on the day where the Groundhog is supposed to see his shadow or not! 

6 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Has nothing to do with this area or anything of the sort. Could certainly be a parody of something based on the date, but I think the date was just iconic becuase of the 2's. 

Maybe its fitting for the name to just be the Washington Dueces. 

169908069-angry-mad-dislike-hating-poop-

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The annoying thing is that they just won’t say that. They have to turn Jason Wright into this cringy sycophant who has to go out in front of everyone and try to find a way to peddle some line of BS that gives them an excuse for not giving the fans what they want. 

Just say you don’t like the name, didn’t want to name the team that. Be a man. Be an @MKnight82, say the name is dumb. Say you think naming the team after guys with guns or sailing on boats is cooler. Say that the only reason you got to keep your grubby mitts on the franchise is because Rivera agreed to be the adult in the building, and that meant giving him first dibs on naming. Or just say that you can’t make as much money with Redwolves and it’s a business designed to make money, so 🖕🏻 to anyone who does like it. 

But instead, just more of the pathetic mealy-mouthed drivel that flows out of this organization. That’s the worst part of all of it, probably somehow even worse than the names they’ve narrowed it down to. 

They’ve been using the local media to build this narrative for awhile. You’re one of the most valuable sports franchises on the planet. You could have Redwolves if you wanted it. 

• Like 1