WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

6 hours ago, Beast said:

I forgot they might be resold, and continue, MAYBE...

I think he'll use Military imagery (or animals) and get away from Native American themes. Some have said it was too late to change the colors and uniforms. But they can still change the name and logo.

They’re not going to change the colors, so that takes away a big change. The players can still wear the same exact uniforms just w/ a different logo on the helmet, like a curly W (like the Nats have but in Burgundy, Gold or white like the prototypes I’ve posted) or whatever the first letter ends up being or logo and then take Redskins off of the jersey, those are two extremely easy things to accomplish.

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Virginia Vipers just reeks of an XFL kind of name.  

Because it was, there was a Tampa Bay Vipers and they were the worst team in the XFL If I remember correctly. I was excited to see @naptownskinsfan boy Andy Murray play, but he was awful and got replaced by a guy I’ve never heard of at QB.

7 hours ago, Beast said:

XFL was around for less than a year, so even if there is a reek, it'll go away so dang quickly....

But Vipers would go well with Virginia.

Which let's be honest, they're probably not going to Virginia, and Dan Synder probably is NOT going to pick a more risky name. 

Which is why it's probably going to be Warriors (which he's linked and trademarked before planning to use in the AFL).

Just trying to be more creative and interesting here. It's not everyday a team gets a new name.

Speaking of which, let's look at the last couple of times it's happened.

(Houston) Tennessee Oilers became the Tennessee Titans 

And indirectly the (I guess) the Cleveland Brown's (sorta unofficially) became the Baltimore Ravens.

Also newer teams expansion teams (not recounting the Ravens) are

• 1976: The Seattle Seahawks and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers entered the league. 
  • 1995: The Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars became NFL teams. 
  • 2002: The Houston Texans

Based on other teams semi-recent (in new NFL teams names wise), it seems likely that it's likely the team name will start with the same letter as the last or a generic human name...

Washington Warriors, seems to do both of those. 

The precedent isn’t the same. The Redskins aren’t an expansion franchise, they’re deciding to change the team name for other reasons/being forced to by sponsors & public pressure.

The current name starts with an R, so it makes as much sense to go with an R name as it does with a W name. 

Ok, let’s do a animals that start with W:

• First, my personal favorite bc it represents our owner well is the WEASELS!

Thats gotta be the #1 seed! 

• Warthogs (really this makes too much sense)

• Wallaby - like a kangaroo 🦘, would be attractive to the kidos.

• Walrus’s 

• Wasps 🐝 

• Water Buffalo 🐃 

• Water Dragon 🐉 
• Whales 🐳 

• White Rhinos 🦏 
• White Tigers

• Wild Boars 🐗 like a razorback 

• Wildcats 🐈 

• Wildebeests

• Wolverines 

• Wolves 🐺 

• Woodpeckers 

• Wolly Mammoths - Logo could look like the character in ice age  

• Woombats

Or, Wolfpack, Werewolves 

Edited by turtle28

9 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Never too late. They need to just go ahead and do it. Dans been on just a freaking name for near 2 months now. Its ridiculous.

There's an article on ESPN that talks about how this process usually takes 1-2 YEARS not months. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29433710/renaming-redskins-process-hurdles-possible-fallout

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

There's an article on ESPN that talks about how this process usually takes 1-2 YEARS not months. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29433710/renaming-redskins-process-hurdles-possible-fallout

Can get the ball rolling quickly if moving quickly.  Worry about the merch, camera look and uniforms now. And the rest can have time.

Just focus on letting the people see progress is happening. 2 months on just a name. Thats 6-7 weeks wasted already. Millions of pieces of merch that could have already been printed. All anyone sees now are delays and Dans once again dragging his feet as slow as humanly possible.

It might take 1 or 2 years overall. But progress can be shown as happening.

57 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yes, but @PARROTHEAD point is more a shot at Americans, the franchises & government & how long it would take to get it done. I think he realizes it will take a while, his point is it shouldn’t bc it doesn’t take long in 2nd and 3rd would countries where we all know they have more laxed laws and that’s not going to change and, even that point seems debatable it’s a man educated guess that may or may not be true, I mean, have we studied that? I don’t think so.

So, point taken PH, but that’s not changing so it is what it is.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Ok, let’s do a animals that start with W:

• First, my personal favorite bc it represents our owner well is the WEASELS!

Thats gotta be the #1 seed! 

• Warthogs (really this makes too much sense)

• Wallaby - like a kangaroo 🦘, would be attractive to the kidos.

• Walrus’s 

• Wasps 🐝 

• Water Buffalo 🐃 

• Water Dragon 🐉 
• Whales 🐳 

• White Rhinos 🦏 
• White Tigers

• Wild Boars 🐗 like a razorback 

• Wildcats 🐈 

• Wildebeests

• Wolverines 

• Wolves 🐺 

• Woodpeckers 

• Wolly Mammoths - Logo could look like the character in ice age  

• Woombats

Or, Wolfpack, Werewolves 

Thats the 2nd time you put Wolverines. Im no Buckeye fan. But if one walked up and punched you in the nose for saying such a word. Id buy that persons dinner. :P

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The precedent isn’t the same. The Redskins aren’t an expansion franchise, they’re deciding to change the team name for other reasons/being forced to by sponsors & public pressure.

The current name starts with an R, so it makes as much sense to go with an R name as it does with a W name. 

1) Neither were the Oilers ... just pointing out what most of the newer names have gone with.

2) They might as well be an expansion franchise at least until they get a new owner.

3) Does Dan Synder care about "R"? (I honestly don't know)

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Can get the ball rolling quickly if moving quickly.  Worry about the merch, camera look and uniforms now. And the rest can have time.

Just focus on letting the people see progress is happening. 2 months on just a name. Thats 6-7 weeks wasted already. Millions of pieces of merch that could have already been printed. All anyone sees now are delays and Dans once again dragging his feet as slow as humanly possible.

It might take 1 or 2 years overall. But progress can be shown as happening.

They should definitely have the ball moving more quickly and for all we know they are but the new name hasn’t been reported yet. We are all guessing that they haven’t decided on something yet and that it’s not in process.

That being said, I do agree that they likely don’t have agreement on team name and Dan is dragging his feet bc he’s really not that good of a business man. He made a lot of money in the 90s and everything he’s touched this century has gotten worse.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Thats the 2nd time you put Wolverines. Im no Buckeye fan. But if one walked up and punched you in the nose for saying such a word. Id buy that persons dinner. :P

I hear you but hey, it’s a possibility and would make sense, that’s all I’m saying. Now, it wouldn’t make Dwayne, Terry & Chase happy though which is the main reason it shouldn’t be an option.

6 minutes ago, Beast said:

1) Neither were the Oilers ... just pointing out what most of the newer names have gone with.

2) They might as well be an expansion franchise at least until they get a new owner.

3) Does Dan Synder care about "R"? (I honestly don't know)

True about the Titans. I don’t know if Dan cares about the team starring w/ an R or not either, but a team name starting w/ an R makes most sense I think. Our acronym from the team fight song is HTTR (Hail to the Redskins) so, that could easily be kept on Twitter and the R would just go for RedWolves, RedHawks, RedTails, Renegades etc.

Edited by turtle28