Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

Swept the Penguins so far, which is ******* huge. 3 pts up on the Panthers with 8 to go (10 for them). Hanging by a thread. Would love to play the Penguins in the playoffs because we seem to be their kryponite. We got the Lightning next and haven't lost to them yet either. If we can sweep them and beat Pittsburgh again next Thursday, it'd be a major win.

@Forge nervous yet?

Edited by bkobow05
  • Like 1

Florida gets: vs Arizona, @ NYI, @ Toronto, @ Ottawa, @ Boston, vs Carolina, vs Nashville, vs Boston, vs Buffalo, @ Boston

We get: vs Tampa Bay, vs Carolina, vs Pittsburgh, vs NYI, @ Montreal, vs NYR, vs Toronto, @ Washington

Very least, we need to win 5 of those games.

3 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Swept the Penguins so far, which is ******* huge. 3 pts up on the Panthers with 8 to go (10 for them). Hanging by a thread. Would love to play the Penguins in the playoffs because we seem to be their kryponite. We got the Lightning next and haven't lost to them yet either. If we can sweep them and beat Pittsburgh again next Thursday, it'd be a major win.

@Forge nervous yet?

Yup, and I wouldn't have it any other way. This is all gravy. We weren't supposed to be here yet, so I'm just enjoying it. Weird how successful we've been against Pitt and Tampa so far

• Like 1

Another huge win for the Devils against Tampa. Can't believe that we somehow swept them this year. I also can't believe that the Coyotes gave up the two goal lead against Florida. 

@bkobow05, are we riding with Kinkaid the rest of the year?  Schwab is pretty healthy for the most part, but Kinkaid has been playing really well, and giving him both starts in the back to back against Pitt and TB is pretty telling. I don't think we have any intention of switching back any time soon. 

Liked what I've seen from Zacha the last couple of games - doing a lot of the little stuff right, but may not be all the offense we want (though he did pick up a point). Starting to remind me a lot of early career Bobby Holik to be honest. Never put up the points that I thought he should given his size and skill in those early years, but was a needed component for sure on the ice. 

@bkobow05 @Forge as someone who's a penguins fan i still think if crosby, malkin, and kessel are firing we'd mince you in the playoffs, but y'all have done well to expose a blue line that's probably a bit thin and the out of form letang so far this year (tho it's not entirely tanger's fault given what he has recovered from)

still backing the pens in for the cup - mcdavid's burn has more or less knocked geno out of the race for the ross but he can still capture the hart or at the very least the richard if he can finish strongly

that said

i do not think they'll give the hart to geno, and he is going to continue to be easily the most underrated player of this generation 

1 hour ago, Shady Slim said:

@bkobow05 @Forge as someone who's a penguins fan i still think if crosby, malkin, and kessel are firing we'd mince you in the playoffs, but y'all have done well to expose a blue line that's probably a bit thin and the out of form letang so far this year (tho it's not entirely tanger's fault given what he has recovered from)

still backing the pens in for the cup - mcdavid's burn has more or less knocked geno out of the race for the ross but he can still capture the hart or at the very least the richard if he can finish strongly

that said

i do not think they'll give the hart to geno, and he is going to continue to be easily the most underrated player of this generation 

I think there's definitely more deserving players for the Hart than Geno.  Amazing season from him (as usual) but on that team, and with the amount of PPG players this year, there's just better candidates.  

50 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

I think there's definitely more deserving players for the Hart than Geno.  Amazing season from him (as usual) but on that team, and with the amount of PPG players this year, there's just better candidates.  

i get where you're coming from, for me the crux of it is the pens were looking insipid and sleepwalking through up until january when geno just flicked the switch and almost singlehandedly dragged the penguins to second place in the division... ofc there have been huge contributions especially from sid and phil, but geno has been by far and away imho the reason for the pens obscene 2018

kuch has the points in the bank but has played for a much better team as well, and has had the guys like stamkos and up until the deadline namestnikov doing great things there too - especially stamkos who i think has flown under the radar

mcdavid has even more points - only thrice has a team missed the playoffs with a 98 point scorer with the most recent being the penguins and the caps in sid and ovi's rookie years - and if you're awarding it to "player that is most valuable to his team" you've probably got to say mcdavid, but that's not how they do it - taylor hall is likely to miss out due to similar reasons

ovi hasn't had enough buzz either i don't think, deserves more...

22 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

That's all fair, and I'm not trying to take away from the season he's having, it's just been such a ridiculous year for some players.  I think it should be between MacKinnon or Kopitar right now. 

Why? Team success? 

I still think McDavid should repeat. I know he won't because the Oilers are rubbish but that makes what he's doing more impressive. Most points. 40 goal season. Highest 
+/- of the leading Hart contenders. That last one does it for me. They aren't losing because of him. Even on the worst team he has a better plus minus. That is impressive.

I've got
1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Kucherov
4. Kopitar
5. Rinne

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mse326 said:

Why? Team success? 

I still think McDavid should repeat. I know he won't because the Oilers are rubbish but that makes what he's doing more impressive. Most points. 40 goal season. Highest 
+/- of the leading Hart contenders. That last one does it for me. They aren't losing because of him. Even on the worst team he has a better plus minus. That is impressive.

I've got
1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Kucherov
4. Kopitar
5. Rinne

Oh, I 100% support McDavid as the MVP of the league this year.  He's the best player in the league and has put up the most impressive season, it's not his fault his team (GM) are terrible.  He's my number one, I just know he won't win so I didn't include him.

I have Kopitar over Kucherov because he's putting up an incredible offensive season while his top four linemates this season are Dustin Brown, Alex Iafallo, Tyler Toffoli, and Tanner Pearson.  Oh, and he should win the Selke this season. 

We have a bottom 5 coach in the NHL, if not the worst.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we missed the playoffs.

I've never seen a coach play for overtime like this idiot, we've gone to OT TWENTY FOUR TIMES this year.  Ghost was benched for the last 5 minutes tonight in a tie game........

We also took an offensive zone draw with no centers on the ice with two minutes left in the game.