Official NHL Thread

roysmyboy31

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lou doesn't believe in any salary cap 

They saved $2.8m against the cap and somehow managed to get a 2nd rounder as well. Should've had to attach assets to get rid of Leddy but, per usual, someone is there to bail out these cap strapped teams. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

They saved $2.8m against the cap and somehow managed to get a 2nd rounder as well. Should've had to attach assets to get rid of Leddy but, per usual, someone is there to bail out these cap strapped teams. 

Exactly why Lou doesn't believe in the cap lol 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

They didn't get the worse player, but yeah, this move makes no sense

I think the point is they gave up a 2nd for a 30 year old dman with 1 year left on his deal and retained salary to do so. Just an absolute mystery as to what Yzerman is doing here. Unless he's going to do Tampa a favor after the expansion draft and flip Leddy, while retaining 50%, to Tampa for a similar return.

Like, if Seattle doesn't take Tyler Johnson, Detroit flips Leddy at 50% retained for Johnson's full salary and Tampa's '22 1st or something. Tampa gets a playoff ready defender while clearing $2 Million or possibly more depending on who goes out.

Could see Tampa doing something like this because it would end up clearing out enough space to extend Point. Palat's money comes off next year, they clear the remaining 2 years beyond '22 of Johnson and Leddy's money falls off. Clears the inevitable $10 Million Point is going to demand. Of course, knowing Tampa's luck, they'll clear that money just by sending Stamkos to Robidas Island.

Edited by beekay414

2 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

Good freaking grief. That's just a horrendous deal. Ken Holland is going to screw this offseason up once again. Good lord. Tired of these old boys club GM hires man. Freaking Katz.

In a few years he will be on the list demonstrating long term deals are bad.

I get it that it’s hard to sign free agents in Edmonton without an overpay. I get it that U.S. born players seldom sign with Canadian teams which limits the available talent pool. It just doesn’t make sense to go 7 years or give away assets to sign him for 8 years. Sometimes the best trades are those you don’t make.

I don’t blame Katz. I blame Nicholson. Katz has done nothing but spend money so GM’s can pursue their ideas of roster construction.

38 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think the point is they gave up a 2nd for a 30 year old dman with 1 year left on his deal and retained salary to do so. Just an absolute mystery as to what Yzerman is doing here. Unless he's going to do Tampa a favor after the expansion draft and flip Leddy, while retaining 50%, to Tampa for a similar return.

Stevie Y will probably flip him to Edmonton for a 1st round pick.